Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #661 of 3,308
The seal definately makes a difference. I've clearly noticed it with and without.

That goes for many IEMs. I think the customs (for $12 - how can I get that deal in the bay area?) would be a great idea with these phones. Do they come in different colors?

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #662 of 3,308
Been listening to these for 3 days now...Can only compare them with se 210 and cx 300
Imho strongest area is the bass..very articulate...deep..punchy...easily eq'fiable(i am using sony 816 with flat eq and +1 on clear bass)..
If u need more then u are a basshead...
Treble is very well extended excellent instrument separation
Weakest are the mids...My se 210 are miles better ...and the fact that the are a bit hard to drive
Very comfortable...
Soundstage is decent(wider than the 210's tho)
Boy i love the bass....the quality is better than cx 300...impact is around 70-80% and no mid bass here..all deep 30-40 hz stuff
Dont let the weak bass thing going around here stop u from buying these..if u understand what good bass is then u will absolutely love these
I have found myself listening to Hip-hop more than the usual stuff i listen to (alternate,progressive etc)
Btw... I personally hate black filters(mids are even worse)
Grey>No Filters>Blacks

Oh and Thanks to martin, tsatrn ,Confispect and others for convincing me to buy these

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #664 of 3,308
Mids aren't weak as such...Just that i am used to really forward(in your face) kind of mids...besides since they are a bit recessed it helps in creating a wider sound stage..as opposed to shure which really in your head kind of a sound stage...
I will prob buy fiio e5 later ,but that would be more to solve the volume issue rather than the mids thing
Thanks martin BTW.. I've been hooked to ur website ever since i got my ZVM 2 years back..

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #665 of 3,308
Glad to hear you like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #666 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seal definately makes a difference. I've clearly noticed it with and without.

That goes for many IEMs. I think the customs (for $12 - how can I get that deal in the bay area?) would be a great idea with these phones. Do they come in different colors?

hey i'm in the bay area also, please let me know if u find that deal!

thanks

also, my pfe will be here tomorrow FINALLY.. took 6 days to ship!!!
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #667 of 3,308
Has anyone noticed the "unique" soundstage these produce with the grey filters? It's in your head, yet in a concert hall at the same time. The inside of your skull actually sort of transforms into a concert hall, I guess you could say. Basically, if you get a good seal with the grey filters, the decay becomes realistic to the point where it feels like the sound is reverberating off the inner walls of your head. But it's still quick as lightning. I don't know how to describe it. It's like typical BA speed + very accurate/true to life instrument reproduction. Of course it sounds "smaller", but that should be expected.

This becomes most apparent with live recordings, by the way. John Butler Trio's "Live At St. Gallen" sounds great. Even their "regular" CDs sound great, since they seem to be recorded pretty "raw" (a.k.a. it basically sounds pretty close to a live recording and sounds like not a whole lot was altered in the mastering process).

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #669 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by karanistheone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening to these for 3 days now...Can only compare them with se 210 and cx 300
Imho strongest area is the bass..very articulate...deep..punchy...easily eq'fiable(i am using sony 816 with flat eq and +1 on clear bass)..
If u need more then u are a basshead...
Treble is very well extended excellent instrument separation
Weakest are the mids...My se 210 are miles better ...and the fact that the are a bit hard to drive
Very comfortable...
Soundstage is decent(wider than the 210's tho)
Boy i love the bass....the quality is better than cx 300...impact is around 70-80% and no mid bass here..all deep 30-40 hz stuff
Dont let the weak bass thing going around here stop u from buying these..if u understand what good bass is then u will absolutely love these
I have found myself listening to Hip-hop more than the usual stuff i listen to (alternate,progressive etc)
Btw... I personally hate black filters(mids are even worse)
Grey>No Filters>Blacks

Oh and Thanks to martin, tsatrn ,Confispect and others for convincing me to buy these

Out of all the iem's I own, the PFE's with the grey filters gives the best sounding mids I've heard. Of course this is according to my ears. I like them better than the SE530's. I use to own the se210's, and the SE530's definitely have superior mids. Have you tried a variation of tips?? I mainly use a sony nwz-s639. I set clear bass to +2.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #670 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i'm in the bay area also, please let me know if u find that deal!

thanks

Will do

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #671 of 3,308
This whole "seal" thing is kinda bugging me, since I don't really know if I'm getting a proper one or not. What is a scientific way of telling? How strong is isolation supposed to be with a good seal? For instance right now I have the Complys on (didn't remember how comfortable they are compared to the silicones) and with no music playing I can make out what people on TV (which is about 1.5 m away from me, @ normal listening volume) are saying, although it obviously sounds muffled. Are they supposed to isolate more?
As far as sound is concerned they sound pretty good to me, bass is definitely there...
Oh BTW, as for my "insertion" technique, I try to put them in as deep as they will go without causing discomfort (it's kinda weird cause the ear canal seems to make a bend after a bit, so that the earphones go in at an angle), is that right?
Please help me get rid of the seal virus!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #672 of 3,308
If you're getting good bass extension and a clear, detailed sound you probably have a good seal.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #673 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess so. I suppose calling them "thin" or "overly analytical" comes down to preference. I like both styles of IEM, it seems.

We did just see someone post who was not getting a good seal, and when he read about it how to improve fit, he made the adjustment and now likes them even more.

Well, you and I know that even if you don't have a good seal with the ie8 your going to still get slamming bass
atsmile.gif
Where as the pfe I have to mess with the left (because my ear canal's a little bigger, but not big enough for large). but with a good seal they go quite low and are powerful. I also have to tell you I love the t4, I have about 6 hours on it and it works wonders with the pfe. And thats just out of the HO, I need to get a LO dock, but someone got my credit card info and had a spending spree on me
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #674 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by radagast85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole "seal" thing is kinda bugging me, since I don't really know if I'm getting a proper one or not. What is a scientific way of telling? How strong is isolation supposed to be with a good seal? For instance right now I have the Complys on (didn't remember how comfortable they are compared to the silicones) and with no music playing I can make out what people on TV (which is about 1.5 m away from me, @ normal listening volume) are saying, although it obviously sounds muffled. Are they supposed to isolate more?
As far as sound is concerned they sound pretty good to me, bass is definitely there...
Oh BTW, as for my "insertion" technique, I try to put them in as deep as they will go without causing discomfort (it's kinda weird cause the ear canal seems to make a bend after a bit, so that the earphones go in at an angle), is that right?
Please help me get rid of the seal virus!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

The way I test whether my seal is good or not is after I have introduced both tips in my ear canals, I clap my fingers at more or less the same distance from both ears. I try to see if I hear the clap in the same intensity. I also do it with the same hand, as I would use a similar strength whilst doing it.

It is not a scientific method by any means, but it helps me with my seal.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #675 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have to tell you I love the t4,
I have about 6 hours on it
and it works wonders with the pfe.

Well, now you're just teasing...

Quote:

And thats just out of the HO,

Score out of 10 please based on how it sounds right now
ksc75smile.gif

I still have 12 hours to wait for mine