Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #631 of 3,305
Team Phonak @ 100 members
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #632 of 3,305
hey all!!! i'm sorry if this question has been asked before.....because...i really join Team Phonak! hahahha
but i don't know where i can buy PFE in Canada....?
anyone know good website where i can get them?

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #634 of 3,305
Ok this is just ridiculous..
The first day when I got these, I tried to switch to the black filters, and ended up ruining them, the blacks that is. Totally my fault since I misread the instructions completely. Then I loose one of the gray filters on the floor while inserting them back after busting mentioned pair. I also managed to ruin a grey pair before I got the grips with this..; - 3 pairs. On top of that, 2 pairs have managed to fall out without me noticing(!). Yes I know you can use the blue tip of the insertion/removal tool to secure the filter in place, and I admit one of the 2 times this happened, I hadn't used said tool...just ranting a little, because I'm now left with ONE friggin pair of black filters, which I'm not really that fond of. + I'm dead broke so I can't get new ones until the end of this week, and I've caught the flue
frown.gif

/rant

On the bright side, though, I'm really starting to like the sound of these beauties!
I said I would come back with a review last week, but feel I still need more time with'em.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dsc0001u.jpg

dsc0004jbt.jpg

happy_face1.gif

Really nice pictures there, mate!
Tried to use some spoiler/reveal tags for those pics, but no joy.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #635 of 3,305
HI,
I got my phonaks on friday, my previous earphones were iPhone earbuds :p.
I thought that after hearing them, I'd be blown away by the sound quality, but i wasnt >.<. To be honest I expected more after reading many extremely-positive posts here on head-fi...what i lack is instrument separation, but i will give it one more week and i will see...hope the sound will improve(in my head)...

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #636 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScRyX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI,
I thought that after hearing them, I'd be blown away by the sound quality, but i wasnt >.<. To be honest I expected more after reading many extremely-positive posts here on head-fi...what i lack is instrument separation, but i will give it one more week and i will see...hope the sound will improve(in my head)...

since this is your first IEM. are you sure the fit is correct?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #637 of 3,305
No...these are not my first IEM, i have had the HPM-70 (sony ericsson), but i think the iphone earbuds are better. Well the fit is...with comply foam correct, but i have a problem with other sillicone eartips, because it seems that mi right ear canal is somehow different from the left, and no matter which eartip size (M,S) I use, I feel correct seal in mi left ear, but not in the right.
frown.gif
Btw. which filters should I use for more details/instument separation ?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #638 of 3,305
Quote:

HI,

LOL you're a picky one aren't you? Coming from earbuds and the instrument separation is lacking? The instruments are separated just fine on mine. Maybe not as good as the best IEMs (I'm assuming) but definitely not lacking.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #639 of 3,305
Quote:

No...these are not my first IEM, i have had the HPM-70 (sony ericsson), but i think the iphone earbuds are better. Well the fit is...with comply foam correct, but i have a problem with other sillicone eartips, because it seems that mi right ear canal is somehow different from the left, and no matter which eartip size (M,S) I use, I feel correct seal in mi left ear, but not in the right.
frown.gif
Btw. which filters should I use for more details/instument separation ?

lol. Those are NOT IEMs, more of earbuds that go slightly deeper. Not even canalbuds.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #641 of 3,305
Quote:

Is the sound better with comply foamies or with sillicone tips ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I only use silicone tips. I've tried foamies and complys and never liked them. I don't think the filters or tip types are important right now. These should be clearly be SUPERIOR to the ibuds in every way.

btw, the manual never says this, but try the PFEs with the cord coming straight down. So the long part with the Phonak word comes down. I find the fit better this way.

I used to use the sony ericcson earbuds. They are the best earbuds I've ever had that came with a DAP.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #642 of 3,305
Started using the Pfe's with the ibasso t4 amp couple of days and it really does open up these iem's for me.

Using the black filters with the medium grey tips, got the amp set on gain and bass boost. Using a sony s639 as source.

Detail is still present probably more so with the amp and the bass now has a nice kick to it. Although i still prefer the soundstage from the Senn IE8, i'm finding that i really like the level of detail from the PFE's when amped.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #643 of 3,305
Here is how I insert PFEs into my ears.
1) While pulling middle ear lobe, insert PFEs and push as deep you can
smily_headphones1.gif

2) Do not release the ear lobe yet, then put your cable/wire guide around your ear firmly and securely. If possible eat some crackers or biscuits
smily_headphones1.gif
Why?
3) If you get a good seal, your biscuit crunching should be heard louder.

Enjoy...

Currently, listening to DJ Tiesto's "Close to you" trance... Deeeeeep bass. So relaxing ....
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #644 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Started using the Pfe's with the ibasso t4 amp couple of days and it really does open up these iem's for me.

Using the black filters with the medium grey tips, got the amp set on gain and bass boost. Using a sony s639 as source.

Detail is still present probably more so with the amp and the bass now has a nice kick to it. Although i still prefer the soundstage from the Senn IE8, i'm finding that i really like the level of detail from the PFE's when amped.

Exactly how I have my PFEs set up, and I agree 100 percent. The IE8 soundstage is apart from the pack, but I still get the yen to hear the PFEs with that same exact setup. How anyone could call the PFEs thin and/or too analytic hearing them under those conditions could only mean they are not getting a good seal. I find that I need to move the medium silicones around a bit, but once you hit the sweet spot for a good seal, the sound is fantastic.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #645 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is how I insert PFEs into my ears.
1) While pulling middle ear lobe, insert PFEs and push as deep you can
smily_headphones1.gif

2) Do not release the ear lobe yet, then put your cable/wire guide around your ear firmly and securely. If possible eat some crackers or biscuits
smily_headphones1.gif
Why?
3) If you get a good seal, your biscuit crunching should be heard louder.

Enjoy...

Currently, listening to DJ Tiesto's "Close to you" trance... Deeeeeep bass. So relaxing ....
smily_headphones1.gif

I am with you on getting a true seal. If you don't, you'll prefer iBuds (or any other buds, for that matter). You need to clearly block off the ear canal with the sleeves that fit you best. Good technique, Bakhtiar. I don't need to do it that way, but maybe it can help the poster above. Seal is everything with IEMs. If the iBuds sound better, he's not wearing them properly. I used to favor Complys, but now that I learned out to get the best seal with the silicones, I use them all the time.

I also have different sized ear canals, but the medium gray tips just work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back