Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jan 29, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #46 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I should've never looked....

I can't believe this is happening.... I can't believe after researching the IE8 for hours on end, coming to a firm decision that I was going to get it, and ordering it that I am now considering getting a completely different product instead....

Don't get me wrong. I still feel very positive about the IE8, but-....

DAMNIT

You've been through quite a ride on the IEM roller coaster I've noticed. I'd say go with these. For the price they seem like a bargain. And the response here has been pretty amazing. I don't hear any negative comments or FOTM accusations, so I think they are for real...

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #48 of 3,308
Quote:

...I should've never looked....

I can't believe this is happening.... I can't believe after researching the IE8 for hours on end, coming to a firm decision that I was going to get it, and ordering it that I am now considering getting a completely different product instead....

Don't get me wrong. I still feel very positive about the IE8, but-....

DAMNIT

I am in the same boat...I was waiting for my IE8s, and ordered the PFE, which arrived sooner. I have had my IE8s for a week, and they are just hitting their stride...

I was thinking I wanted to sell my IE8s, but I can't bring myself to do so because they are awesome also, but different...

I guess that is how all these companies stay in business
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #49 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go with these.

OH COME ON
biggrin.gif

You do know that if AMP3 hadn't canceled my order there would be absolutely no chance with these, right?.... It just seems too good to be true....

*sigh*....

Well, since I'm here, and obviously there are owners of these 'phones that can answer my questions, I might as well ask them.

How is the treble extension? The specs say 17kHz. How accurate is this? The IE8 is said to be able to hit 18+kHz, so how is the PFE in comparison?

Do Shure's tips fit on it?

I heard that the volume is lower on these earphones. How is the volume compared to the other top earphones, namely (for me), the SE530?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #50 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the same boat...I was waiting for my IE8s, and ordered the PFE, which arrived sooner. I have had my IE8s for a week, and they are just hitting their stride...

I was thinking I wanted to sell my IE8s, but I can't bring myself to do so because they are awesome also, but different...

Would you please compare them here and say which one you prefer (instead of responding to my PM)?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #51 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may sound nuts, but check out the Brad Paisley CD, "Play: The Guitar Album." Don't take my word for it, read some reviews. But if you like pickin' this CD is fantastic. And don't forget Guitar Trio, with McLaughlin, DiMeola and Paco De Lucia.

I've been a Coryell fan for 30-plus years (saw him live once, with the Eleventh House, in 1973). Okay, time to turn off the music thread post. But I just finished listening to the PFEs for 2 hours with the Minibox, wow. I can't put that damn amp away. They match up so well, for sitting around home and listening, the Phonaks and the MB are pure enjoyment.

Thanks for the recs. They are now on my list.
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #53 of 3,308
Quote:

Would you please compare them here and say which one you prefer (instead of responding to my PM)?

Didn't see this message until I sent you a PM...my comparison is not ready yet anyways!

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #54 of 3,308
Just wanted to say The Phonaks trounce my old SE310 in every way.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #55 of 3,308
My bad

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #56 of 3,308
I've been wanting to test the frequency limits of the PFE. Thanks to moseboy for reminding me with his HF question.

I use a Stereophile's Test CD 2

Track 27 ( Spot frequency tones at -20dBFS ) The range is 10 Hz. to 20 kHz.

At 12.5 Hz. I can actually hear something although very slight. At 16 Hz. there is action. Next tone is 20 Hz. where it becomes too much for me to take.

I used iTunes to play this CD using my XM5 DAC & amp. Low gain with no features on at 10 o'clock volume.

At the upper end, I begin at what I know will be audible. The last 4 tones are 15,16,18 & 20kHz.

15kHz. I can easily hear with the XM5 & PFE. 16kHz. becomes very difficult to hear, and 18 kHz. not at all.

I then tried Pico as DAC & amp. Same results with LF & HF.

Just for a better reference I then listened to HD 650 with Pico. I tried the 12.5 Hz. and could hear more action with the PFE, and this was with Pico in high gain and volume at max for this frequancy. At 16 Hz. the HD 650 began to move and 20 Hz. was very audible.

With 16kHz. & HD 650 I could hear this tone better than PFE but 18 kHz. was negligible.

I have experimented with this disc many times with various monitors over the years( I bought it probably soon after its release in 1992~93). With my current speakers(B&W DM602s3) I can hear up to the 18 kHz. tone. with 20 kHz. being negligible.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #57 of 3,308
Quote:

OH COME ON
biggrin.gif

You do know that if AMP3 hadn't canceled my order there would be absolutely no chance with these, right?.... It just seems too good to be true....

*sigh*....

Well, since I'm here, and obviously there are owners of these 'phones that can answer my questions, I might as well ask them.

How is the treble extension? The specs say 17kHz. How accurate is this? The IE8 is said to be able to hit 18+kHz, so how is the PFE in comparison?

I heard that the volume is lower on these earphones. How is the volume compared to the other top earphones, namely (for me), the SE530?

well, I have had the SE530 for about a week and just received the Phonaks today. I have to crank my computer to about 40 whereas the SE530 are at about 18. My Clip is the same I have to turn the volume up almost 50% to get a good listening volume.

I think the Phonaks sound just as good as the 530s and to me are more comfortable. I'm no audiophile but I think the Phanoke's sound like they have "sharper" highs. Bass is at about the same level of tightness, with perhaps the 530 have a bit more all around bass.

One thing that I noticed about the phanoks is that the cable is a good length for carrying a player with you (hip or pocket),, but a little short for use with a PC. I used the short cable from the 530's to geve me a little more length (my PC is on my desk close to me so lust a little added length was enough for me).

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #58 of 3,308
Quote:

PFE - going backwards from 18.5Khz in 500Hz increments...first [barely] heard 17K and 16.5K, 16K and lower sounded like normal listening levels.

IE8 - again going backwards from 18.5K, I could first [barely] hear 17.5K, and it didn't sound like normal volume levels until 15K.

So for me, the PFE is usable to 16K and the IE8 to 15K

Quote:

The olives fit on my PFE.

Quote:

For me, depends upon the song. Sometimes the volume difference is greater, but I don't know why. I have only turned the volume all the way up on my Fuze once (can't recall the song off the top of my head).

With the Complys there is a smaller volume difference than the silicon, but if I listen at 50% on my Fuze, then between 60% and 70%.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #59 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
15kHz. I can easily hear with the XM5 & PFE. 16kHz. becomes very difficult to hear, and 18 kHz. not at all.

That's unfortunately what I expected.

But I guess what can you really expect from a BA?...

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #60 of 3,308
Quote:

IE8 - again going backwards from 18.5K, I could first [barely] hear 17.5K, and it didn't sound like normal volume levels until 15K.

So for me, the PFE is usable to 16K and the IE8 to 15K

Really?? That's not what I heard.... Interesting.... Well that kind of changes things in my mind anyway....

Quote:

The olives fit on my PFE.

Sweet. I freakin' love the olives, and I have a ton of 'em.

Quote:

For me, depends upon the song. Sometimes the volume difference is greater, but I don't know why.

That's kind of... odd....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back