Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #31 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not saying better than W3, but to me, just more to my taste. Can't speak for IE8. But only one way to find out, Zardos, and you know what that means...(quiet sound of opening wallet).

Yes, I will buy a pair. My ears are very much acclimated to the dark and airy sounding IE8's, so I'm very curious about my first impression from the Phonaks.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #32 of 3,305
Quote:

It's not easy to say you prefer a $135 IEM (in my case, less than $100) over a $400 IEM. In fact, psychologically, it's a very tough thing to do.

I had the same problem with IE8 (200 Euro) vs SE530 (400 Euro). To my taste the IE8 should be twice as pricey than SE530, not the other way. But sadly I live in Europe, not in the USA.

Keeping in mind that prices are somewhat arbitrary it should be possible to also somewhat ignore them.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 3,305
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 3,305
I love Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour, Andrew Gorny, etc. so you basically just sealed the deal for me.

These will be my birthday present.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #35 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour, Andrew Gorny, etc. so you basically just sealed the deal for me.

These will be my birthday present.

Haha nice. You'll LOVE them!

They were my birthday present too! Only I got them two days before my birthday lol super fast shipping.

EDIT: ok, i_don't_know, check this out! it's crazy! http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zDzyWA...eature=related

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #36 of 3,305
I'm sorry if I missed this in the other long thread but are these worth it for 140 (the one without the mic) if the X10's can be had for only about 50-60 bucks more? I do like bass, but not bloated, just something that can deliver the punch every once in a while when it needs to be there.

I like indie rock, electronic, and hip hop btw if that helps. I'm leaning towards the PFE's anyway because they are 60 bucks cheaper, which is a lot. And I've decided against the Ne-7ms for these. I hope I made the right decision there.

Also would my ipod nano 2nd gen be enough to power it? I dont feel like buying an expensive amp.

Im upgrading from marshmallows and I kinda like them but they sound too muddled to me so would you recommend the PFEs or the X10s or the 7m's?

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #37 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by KitarP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if I missed this in the other long thread but are these worth it for 140 (the one without the mic) if the X10's can be had for only about 50-60 bucks more? I do like bass, but not bloated, just something that can deliver the punch every once in a while when it needs to be there.

I like indie rock, electronic, and hip hop btw if that helps. I'm leaning towards the PFE's anyway because they are 60 bucks cheaper, which is a lot. And I've decided against the Ne-7ms for these. I hope I made the right decision there.

Also would my ipod nano 2nd gen be enough to power it? I dont feel like buying an expensive amp.

Im upgrading from marshmallows and I kinda like them but they sound too muddled to me so would you recommend the PFEs or the X10s or the 7m's?

PM me on friday

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by KitarP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own both the X10s and the PFEs, and the PFE's sparkle is more obvious than the X10s, which are a warmer IEM. I like the X10s, very comfy, good warm sound. But on balance, I favor the crispness of the PFE mids and highs, and the overall balance. You won't NEED an amp, but the PFEs just move up a notch with a good amp. Same with the X10s.

My iPod Touch drives them fine without an amp. I also owned the NuForce 7s, and not bad for $50. But not in the same league as the PFE when it comes to a balanced, detailed sound.

So I recommend these phones, and no, it's not really worth spending $50-$60 more for the X10s.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #39 of 3,305
Quote:

I own both the X10s and the PFEs, and the PFE's sparkle is more obvious than the X10s, which are a warmer IEM. I like the X10s, very comfy, good warm sound. But on balance, I favor the crispness of the PFE mids and highs, and the overall balance. You won't NEED an amp, but the PFEs just move up a notch with a good amp. Same with the X10s.

My iPod Touch drives them fine without an amp. I also owned the NuForce 7s, and not bad for $50. But not in the same league as the PFE when it comes to a balanced, detailed sound.

So I recommend these phones, and no, it's not really worth spending $50-$60 more for the X10s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM me on friday

Thanks for your help.
I will PM mortonjl friday and right now am definitely feeling like getting them tonight haha!

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #40 of 3,305
Thats it, when I'm ready to pick up some IEM these will be the ones I get, courtesy of all of the great initial impressions.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #41 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06
Wow, you've got "listen-itis"?

Oh, without a doubt.
icon10.gif
I just managed to sneek in 2 hours of sleep so back to critical listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7
Well if anyone likes acoustic guitar, listen to this song, it makes the PFEs shine

YouTube - Andy McKee - Rylynn - Acoustic Guitar - CANdYRAT Records

You don't even need an amp to make this sound amazing. I've listened to it about 4 times in a row now lol

I hear ya! I have several tracks from Andy on my iPod, including Rylynn. Good stuff!

I have an entire playlist dedicated to acoustic instruments.

Some other great acoustic guitar I have is from TuckAndress, Antoine Dufour, Beeline, California Guitar Trio, Checkfield, Earl Klugh, Michael Hedges,Larry Coryell, Leo Kottke, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Sharon Isbin, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice,...

One of my all time favorite goose bump inducing tracks is "Aqa Jan" by Renaud Garcia-Fons from his Entremundorelease.
He is an amazing double-bass player and composer. I highly recommend this recording if you like this type of music.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #42 of 3,305
Wow, the overwhelmingly positive response towards the PFE are really amazing. As a newcomer to the audio world, I really appreciate everyone's impressions on the Phonaks. It has made my decision so easy, and I am buying with a lot of confidence. At first, I was torn between the Nuforce and these. After reading numerous posts, I know I am making the right decision by opting to spend a little more.

Thanks again everyone.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #43 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspireD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, the overwhelmingly positive response towards the PFE are really amazing. As a newcomer to the audio world, I really appreciate everyone's impressions on the Phonaks. It has made my decision so easy, and I am buying with a lot of confidence. At first, I was torn between the Nuforce and these. After reading numerous posts, I know I am making the right decision by opting to spend a little more.

Thanks again everyone.

I think so too. We look forward to reading your impressions.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #44 of 3,305
...I should've never looked....

I can't believe this is happening.... I can't believe after researching the IE8 for hours on end, coming to a firm decision that I was going to get it, and ordering it that I am now considering getting a completely different product instead....

Don't get me wrong. I still feel very positive about the IE8, but-....

DAMNIT

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #45 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, without a doubt.
icon10.gif
I just managed to sneek in 2 hours of sleep so back to critical listening.

I hear ya! I have several tracks from Andy on my iPod, including Rylynn. Good stuff!

I have an entire playlist dedicated to acoustic instruments.

Some other great acoustic guitar I have is from TuckAndress, Antoine Dufour, Beeline, California Guitar Trio, Checkfield, Earl Klugh, Michael Hedges,Larry Coryell, Leo Kottke, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Sharon Isbin, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice,...

One of my all time favorite goose bump inducing tracks is "Aqa Jan" by Renaud Garcia-Fons from his Entremundorelease.
He is an amazing double-bass player and composer. I highly recommend this recording if you like this type of music.

This may sound nuts, but check out the Brad Paisley CD, "Play: The Guitar Album." Don't take my word for it, read some reviews. But if you like pickin' this CD is fantastic. And don't forget Guitar Trio, with McLaughlin, DiMeola and Paco De Lucia.

I've been a Coryell fan for 30-plus years (saw him live once, with the Eleventh House, in 1973). Okay, time to turn off the music thread post. But I just finished listening to the PFEs for 2 hours with the Minibox, wow. I can't put that damn amp away. They match up so well, for sitting around home and listening, the Phonaks and the MB are pure enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back