Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 7, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #1,681 of 3,308
I have the ad700s and used to own the pfes. I felt the pfes had more impact in rock trebles, and midrange was louder compared to the highs and lows. Of course the presentation is much less airy and music sounds closer to listener than ad700s because it is a iem. In some tracks this can be an advantage imo. In orchestral pieces the ad700 are superior. I am waiting for the pfe's to show significant improvements in build quality, but I miss the sound a lot.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #1,682 of 3,308
So, I had put on black filters and the sound is enjoyable but I always feel like I'm missing detail, so I was going to switch back to the grey, and decided to see how they sounded filter free. Whoa, treble. Cymbals especially. Bass goes really flat though. I wonder if thats more like what the ER4s sound like. It actually was entertaining with some newer pop stuff that has techno-ish sound and lots of panning and effects. Basically the complete opposite of how that music is usually heard (just bass, bass, bass). I've actually been surprised at some of the layering and background and other effects used in some pop music. Its definitely stuff that you don't notice (or in plenty of cases even hear due to poor equipment). I can understand why people recommend the SA5000 for techno/electronic.

Unfortunately it wasn't so good for other music. The greys retain most of that treble but you get back just enough of the bass slam, its unfortunately not a perfect in between though.

Oh, and I lost one of the ear guides so they don't wear quite as well (want to move around more). Still one of my favorite headphones. I am looking at moving on though, really want to try Westone 3s and then go from there. And playing the waiting game on a portable source (see how the 3rd gen Touch turns out and then decide between it and the new Zune).

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,683 of 3,308
One thing I love about these IEM's are how small, thin, and light they are. You basically don't feel the weight on your ears when you wear these. For that reason I feel that these are more portable than my SE530's, which is bulby enough already (and I also have custom sleeves for them, which compounds that particular problem).

Still no cracking problems of any sort to report of even after months of use. No signs of it at all, either. Got a good batch, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,685 of 3,308
Phonaks come with 2 types of sound filters. Grey for pronounced mid range and Black filters for Bass. I think the general consensus is that the grey filters have the best sound. These IEMs are definately tame when it comes to the bottom end. I think the black filters make the sound to muddy.
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #1,686 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phonaks come with 2 types of sound filters. Grey for pronounced mid range and Black filters for Bass. I think the general consensus is that the grey filters have the best sound. These IEMs are definately tame when it comes to the bottom end. I think the black filters make the sound to muddy.
beerchug.gif

filters as in mesh things? Any pics? Are they like attachable?

EDIT: Is there any cable noise with the SE530 or Phonak PFE? The CX300s would make a rubbing noise against my clothes...

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #1,687 of 3,308
They are made of plastic, very small, and somewhat fragile. maybe 2mm in diameter. There is a tool that you use to swap them out, but I once ripped one when swapping them. You can't see them from the outside, they cover the hole through which sound travels to your ear.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #1,690 of 3,308
Yesterday I received my Phonaks, unpacked them hooked them up to my new Iaudio 7 (flac files) and WOWWWWWWWWWWW...I got the sound I was looking for...thanks all for the good reports on Phonak. I would never bought them without it!
I'm switching between grey and black filters to see what I like more....so far the grey has my preference. More clear and the bass still good. Of course I have to adjust the settings on my DAP with every different color of filters.

The comfort, fit and isolation is best for me with the grey siicone tips. Normally I used the medium tips on my iems but with the Phonak the large give me better isolation/bass.

Soon I will make a review/comparance of the grey and black filters for the treble/mid/bas/soundstage and different kinds of music. I will put it in a table and put it here on the forum.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #1,691 of 3,308
try Olive or Comply P-tip if you can find them, even better isolation and bass without losing mid and high

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #1,692 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can filters be cleaned? I only got 2 gray filters, that are in the earphones, and the filters in the filter box are all black.

You don't really need to clean them, unless you have incredibly waxy ears...
smily_headphones1.gif
Pop off your tip (silicon or comply) & have a look, the tubes are quite small & wax seldom travels down that far...

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,694 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron[nl] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I received my Phonaks, unpacked them hooked them up to my new Iaudio 7 (flac files) and WOWWWWWWWWWWW...

Ron,
Congrats on both(PFE & i7). They make a great combo.

PS- You've been invited to join Team Phonak
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back