Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #1,652 of 3,308
lost one of my medium silicones today
frown.gif
now i am forced to use complys, ah well, ill just put the complys on backwards.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #1,654 of 3,308
So they realized with such an earphone with such an amazing quality sound they've got to have high quality build to go with it. Especially since this phone is gonna get heaps of usage. Any ETA on the upgraded build yet?

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #1,655 of 3,308
So.....considering either the PFEs or Shure SE530.....I know they are in completely different price ranges (Phonak ~$150, Shure ~ $300).....but I have some money to spare now....just wondering if the extra $150 wouldn't be wasted?

Listen mostly to orchestral film soundtracks (i.e. Dark Knight/Gladiator), classical music (i.e. violin concertos/string quartets), and light alternative rock+pop+female vocals with guitar.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,657 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by insanesanctum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lost one of my medium silicones today
frown.gif
now i am forced to use complys, ah well, ill just put the complys on backwards.

Pay for shipping and you can have mine...I think I have 2 pairs since I've had my PFE replaced once.(edit)-PM if interested

Join TEAM PFE!

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #1,658 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.....considering either the PFEs or Shure SE530.....

I can only comment on the SE530. Just in case you don't know a lot about them, if you're considering them, in my opinion, you have to love strong, forward mids. If you do, I feel you will find the quality of the mids to be fantastic, especially with vocals. That's not to say the rest of the spectrum sucks, but that's what the Shures are known for. However, even though I haven't heard them, if you're going for neutrality, I would first look at the PFEs.

(As far as 2.0 setups, take a look at my signature. I absolutely love mine....)

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #1,659 of 3,308
Quote:

So.....considering either the PFEs or Shure SE530.....I know they are in completely different price ranges (Phonak ~$150, Shure ~ $300).....but I have some money to spare now....just wondering if the extra $150 wouldn't be wasted?

Listen mostly to orchestral film soundtracks (i.e. Dark Knight/Gladiator), classical music (i.e. violin concertos/string quartets), and light alternative rock+pop+female vocals with guitar.

A soundtrack aficionado... nice! Check the Last.FM link in my signature...
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my SE530 for movie scores and orchestral music, perhaps the most of all my IEMs. I believe they're quite picky to pair and I also do EQ them to suit my taste (like I do with every other IEM as well), but for soundtracks they're hard to beat - their lush, grand sound makes dense orchestral stuff sound better than the more analytical, "monitor-esque" PFE, in my opinion.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #1,660 of 3,308
Try the Shures. Much more forward mids so it sounds like the mid centric movie speakers a bit more than PFEs. And they have much better bass. Highs are a bit rolled but they are in the movies as well. And you don't need an amp so consider that as well.

PFEs are more natural in mids, much lighter in bass and a bit better in the highs with the black filter. with the gray filter they are unnaturally peaked up too much.

I owned both FWIW.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #1,661 of 3,308
I own both and would say they both do different things well. For movie soundtracks that have an orchestra, the PFEs do the violins justice while the Shures give a more open soundstage and midrange. The PFEs don't lack in presenting the orchestra, but the Shures just give more expansion.

The Shures also don't give the highs that violins so badly need, but it's all a matter of getting used to. I use Olive tips on the PFEs with black filters which doesn't have the blurred effect that the silicon/black gives, so I have seemed to dial them in beyond what most using the standard tips are hearing.

While listening to the Shures, I'm loving the inviting midrange and openess. When listening to the PFEs I'm enjoying the more transparent, balanced sound.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #1,662 of 3,308
Thanks for comments everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A soundtrack aficionado... nice! Check the Last.FM link in my signature...
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my SE530 for movie scores and orchestral music, perhaps the most of all my IEMs. I believe they're quite picky to pair and I also do EQ them to suit my taste (like I do with every other IEM as well), but for soundtracks they're hard to beat - their lush, grand sound makes dense orchestral stuff sound better than the more analytical, "monitor-esque" PFE, in my opinion.

Yup...not many soundtrack listeners around here...Danny Elfman is awesome....have you heard Hans Zimmer?
When you say picky to pair, do you mean amp?

@ bixby: what's the filter stuff about?

@ robm321: Seems like they complement each other....(here it seems like I should buy both.......upgrading from CX300s, so anything over $100 should be a vast improvement...

Problem is, I listen to violin concertos/string quartets quite often, and I would love to have both great treble + open midrange/soundstage...how would you describe/compare each phones high frequencies? You say the Shure's don't do them justice? How about the "physically engaging/visceral' factor? I want to get "involved" in the music...that's the type of phones I want, along with detail/dynamics..

How about a comparison for light rock/female vocals/pop?

EDIT: How about comfort/isolation? My CX300s were actually quite comfortable/isolated.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #1,663 of 3,308
^ Unfortunately, the Shures have high frequency roll off. Most of the time it's not an issue, but for classical it is. The Shures sound great and amazing with jazz, but for classical I always want more out of the violins which never sound like they soar without a decent high frequency presence.

If the Shures did give me that, I wouldn't have bothered getting another IEM until I can get top of the line customs. The PFEs have nailed what I needed for classical and just happen to sound good on everything. They are definitely on par with the Shures, and yes, they both compliment each other very well.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,664 of 3,308
Quote:

....have you heard Hans Zimmer?

Lion King soundtrack = amazing

Quote:

how would you describe/compare each phones high frequencies? You say the Shure's don't do them justice?

If it's one thing I can say about the Shure's highs, they quite non-fatiguing. I can listen to them for hours, and even on pretty sibilant albums, sibilance is never an issue for me personally.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #1,665 of 3,308
^ that's a good point. The Shure highs come with the benefit of not having to suffer through bad recordings. They don't grate on you at all. It also gives a smooth (think HD650) kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back