Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #1,637 of 3,308
Well, I guess no-one really remembers, but I had a broken white PFE, which I've sent back for a replacement. I didn't get one, because I didn't have warranty, for some reason, but they told me were going to send them to the manufacturer to let them check and decide. I replied I'll be waiting for their response. That was the 22nd of May.
Today, someone delivered a package. I saw that the sender was Hören mit Fiebing, which was the shop where I've purchased the PFE's. I thought: "Could this be my replacement PFE?" Well, it was a replacement.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't really expect this. I checked the batch date. 2008-12-02. I think this is one of the 2 batches with not many problems. I checked it in the Phonak Defect Thread to be sure.
So I'm listening to them right now. Nice. I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was planning to buy an ER4P, but maybe next time. Hmm, maybe I should try to convince my parents to get an amp/DAC. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #1,638 of 3,308
I've been spending quite a bit of time trying out the different sizes of silicone tips for the PFEs...and keep coming back the smalls, and I'm curious if anyone else has given them much thought.

I thought they looked far too small at first, and assumed they would be...so I didn't even try them for quite a while. However, on a whim, I decided to give it a shot, and wow...I thought these had detail when I was using the medium!

Perhaps it is that I just, in fact, have small ear canals (I didn't feel like this was true). When I wear the mediums, due to the shape of the tip, it usually goes in and holds the seal, but slowly works its way out and ends up resting on the outside of my ear. This may be due to the wide angle of curvature on the ends, but I am not certain. The large had a similar effect. In the end, but tips end up being "pushed" back out so that. The small, however, go in and stay in (that is, stay further in).

I noticed this giving me much better detail in the sound. Has anyone else noticed this with the silicone tips?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #1,639 of 3,308
If you can get a seal, the smaller tips get you deeper into the ear canal, which improves bass because of sound decay and pressure losses over even small distances. My first thought, when I got my PFEs, was to reach for a bigger tip, but I was surprised and delighted at what the smaller tip could do.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,640 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess no-one really remembers, but I had a broken white PFE, which I've sent back for a replacement. I didn't get one, because I didn't have warranty, for some reason, but they told me were going to send them to the manufacturer to let them check and decide. I replied I'll be waiting for their response. That was the 22nd of May.
Today, someone delivered a package. I saw that the sender was Hören mit Fiebing, which was the shop where I've purchased the PFE's. I thought: "Could this be my replacement PFE?" Well, it was a replacement.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't really expect this. I checked the batch date. 2008-12-02. I think this is one of the 2 batches with not many problems. I checked it in the Phonak Defect Thread to be sure.
So I'm listening to them right now. Nice. I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was planning to buy an ER4P, but maybe next time. Hmm, maybe I should try to convince my parents to get an amp/DAC. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad to see you got your PFEs. From reading your account, I can see why there might be concerns about trusting a distant vendor. As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part." With respect to the PFE vs the ER-4P, I actually like the PFE a little better, even though the two are very close in sound.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,641 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbevier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed this giving me much better detail in the sound. Has anyone else noticed this with the silicone tips?

I've always noticed more detail with silicone tips compared to foam with various IEMs. My preference for the PFE was the medium silicone but they kept coming off in my ears so I gave them up. I tried a few other tips that I had, foam included. I'm not obsessed about buying a pile of tips to try so I might be missing out on that perfect match...what I have been using for over a month with great success in comfort and sound is the Etymotic tri-flange silicone modified to bi-flange with the stalk cut very short.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #1,643 of 3,308
I have these IEMs, and I have gone back in forth with the filters. The Black filters (IMO), are way to muddy. The grey filters are great but with out a bass boost it sounds like you are listening to all highs a mids. I have an Ipod Touch 2nd gen, and when I turn on the bass boost, the soud evens out and you get the best of both worlds. What is the general consensus in regards to the filters and EQ? I use the Phonaks with a IBasso D2 BOA, I am currently breaking in.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #1,646 of 3,308
Well, according to Bill Browne, the Phonak rep here in the U.S., there would be other changes in the PFEs (cable too). Is he incorrect? So they basically are just changing the driver housing materials without any new aspects of the PFE? If so, that's good for all the cracking problems.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,647 of 3,308
there are no pfe distributors in my country and the nearest is singapore
someone is doing me and the rest here that are interested in the pfe a favour:
to bulk the pfe, but the orders won't be done until the new batch is rolled out.
so was just wondering does anyone have any idea when will the new batch roll out?

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #1,649 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, according to Bill Browne, the Phonak rep here in the U.S., there would be other changes in the PFEs (cable too). Is he incorrect? So they basically are just changing the driver housing materials without any new aspects of the PFE? If so, that's good for all the cracking problems.

Samuel, the engineer that designed the PFE's, didn't tell me about any new Phonak Audéo model... as for changes to the materials/durability of the current PFE model, I don't know.

I was happy to beta test some specific item he is working on at the moment, but I'm not allowed to say anything about that.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back