Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #1,667 of 3,308
Do u think phonak's are good for metal?
like metallica/megadeth ?
because i have a ck7, and it's just awful to hear, they are VERY exagerated in the 4~8k freq range, and it hurt my ears as hell without eq'ing
btw, i REALLY don't want to eq on my portable rig
if anyone ever had an philips shp805 and could compare... they're much better to my ears than the ck7's

i was also thinking about the atrios m5, but i don't like to idea of burn-in anymore

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #1,668 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said, SE530 and HD650 have quite a bit in common.

lol...I don't know anything about the HD650 sound sig...

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #1,670 of 3,308
Quote:

I was replying to Robm321, who likened the SE530 to the HD650...

Care to explain?
o2smile.gif

What it sounds like is that the Phonak Audeo PFE is a more clinical-sounding, detailed, balanced phone....not as fun/engaging to listen to as the Shures...but more accurate/detailed/neutral - and the se530 has richer midrange/better bass that stands out more, a more musical phone...but lacks the very highs..

Did i get the gist of it?

NOTE: How would you compare both phones' comfort and isolation levels?

Are the Phonaks ever fatiguing or become uncomfortable to listen to? Seems like the Shures excel in that department.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #1,671 of 3,308
You pretty much got the gist of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort for me is MUCH better with the SE530 - I never liked the PFE form factor (just read my review, linked in my sig, or my posts in this thread). Isolation is also better with the SE530, maybe only a bit, depending on the tips, but still better in any case.

Both phones aren't fatiguing to me, though... they both sound very fine. Unlike the q-Jays, ER-4/6, RE0, which are certainly fatiguing to my ears.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #1,672 of 3,308
Is it better to hold off on ordering a pair or if I order my PFEs now and they start to crack, can I get it exchanged under warranty and get one of the new and improved batches?

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #1,673 of 3,308
Quote:

You pretty much got the gist of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort for me is MUCH better with the SE530 - I never liked the PFE form factor (just read my review, linked in my sig, or my posts in this thread). Isolation is also better with the SE530, maybe only a bit, depending on the tips, but still better in any case.

Both phones aren't fatiguing to me, though... they both sound very fine. Unlike the q-Jays, ER-4/6, RE0, which are certainly fatiguing to my ears.

You're a reviewer at ABI? Wow!

Yeah...after reading the review, seems like you like the PFE better..

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #1,674 of 3,308
DeusEx: I see you have the AD700... i have the AD900 which is similar (not recessed in the mids though), i think the PFEs are close to them, but they sound a bit darker with more extended bass and less treble sparkle (which is a good point to me, but you may disagree).

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #1,675 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it better to hold off on ordering a pair or if I order my PFEs now and they start to crack, can I get it exchanged under warranty and get one of the new and improved batches?

i've been wondering the same thing. i wouldnt mind buying now if phonak would allow me to replace the set (if they crack) with a set that would hopefully have been cured of the cracking issue.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #1,676 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by midget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been wondering the same thing. i wouldnt mind buying now if phonak would allow me to replace the set (if they crack) with a set that would hopefully have been cured of the cracking issue.

I'm just afraid of them releasing the new model under another model number and not being eligible for a warranty upgrade. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and want to order a pair either today or tomorrow.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,677 of 3,308
Jul 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #1,678 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to explain?
o2smile.gif

What it sounds like is that the Phonak Audeo PFE is a more clinical-sounding, detailed, balanced phone....not as fun/engaging to listen to as the Shures...but more accurate/detailed/neutral - and the se530 has richer midrange/better bass that stands out more, a more musical phone...but lacks the very highs..

Did i get the gist of it?

NOTE: How would you compare both phones' comfort and isolation levels?

Are the Phonaks ever fatiguing or become uncomfortable to listen to? Seems like the Shures excel in that department.

Actually, the PFEs are engaging because of their speed and attack, but they lean more towards accuracy than the lusher sounding HD650. So, they are not Ety like with their clinical sound, but something inbetween.

The PFEs are never harsh nor are the Shures. Buy them both
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #1,679 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just afraid of them releasing the new model under another model number and not being eligible for a warranty upgrade. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and want to order a pair either today or tomorrow.

Warranty will be honored and replaced with the new model if your existing pair fails.

Still waiting on a definitive date for the release.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,680 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the PFEs are engaging because of their speed and attack, but they lean more towards accuracy than the lusher sounding HD650. So, they are not Ety like with their clinical sound, but something inbetween.

The PFEs are never harsh nor are the Shures. Buy them both
biggrin.gif

That's what I was afraid of....
o2smile.gif
...$350 swish...

Do the Shure's have good speed/attack?
Which isolates better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back