Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,712 of 3,308
Hello All,
I am a newby, I dont mean to sound like jerk, but for the last several pages of this thread, the topic is only damaged goods. Can someone answer my question's ( I already posted them, but know one answered) about SQ. I am currently using my PFE's with a 2nd gen Itouch, LOD connected to D2 boa, grey filters, small grey tips. I am curious what does everybody use to obtain better bottom end from these IEMs? The Bass bost on the touch is ok, but it depends on the recording. I went back and forth with the filters, and it seems once you try the gray filters it is hard to go back to the black filters because you loose alot of the midrange.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #1,714 of 3,308
Jul 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #1,715 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All,
I am a newby, I dont mean to sound like jerk, but for the last several pages of this thread, the topic is only damaged goods. Can someone answer my question's ( I already posted them, but know one answered) about SQ. I am currently using my PFE's with a 2nd gen Itouch, LOD connected to D2 boa, grey filters, small grey tips. I am curious what does everybody use to obtain better bottom end from these IEMs? The Bass bost on the touch is ok, but it depends on the recording. I went back and forth with the filters, and it seems once you try the gray filters it is hard to go back to the black filters because you loose alot of the midrange.

I use the black filters for a couple of reasons:

1. To me the sound is more balanced. A good mix of deep bass and non-fatiguing highs. Midrange is also tamed. If you are looking for more bass I'd stick with these.

2. There is less audible hiss out of mp3 players because the black filter is more dense. Normally this is not much of an issue with new players but for older irivers (h120 and 320) it's very much needed.

You have to remember that boosting any frequency, especially the bass, will change the rest of the spectrum on these phones. It's the same driver producing these frequencies. Forcing it to vibrate farther and harder to produce more bass will likely muck up the mids and highs. For this reason I usually never EQ. That's just my thoughts though. YMMV.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #1,716 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the black filters for a couple of reasons:

1. To me the sound is more balanced. A good mix of deep bass and non-fatiguing highs. Midrange is also tamed. If you are looking for more bass I'd stick with these.

2. There is less audible hiss out of mp3 players because the black filter is more dense. Normally this is not much of an issue with new players but for older irivers (h120 and 320) it's very much needed.

You have to remember that boosting any frequency, especially the bass, will change the rest of the spectrum on these phones. It's the same driver producing these frequencies. Forcing it to vibrate farther and harder to produce more bass will likely muck up the mids and highs. For this reason I usually never EQ. That's just my thoughts though. YMMV.

Thanks for the reply. I am curious what tips are you using?

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,717 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All,

An amp that is warm with good bass would work, and you get a line out dock for it. The problem is that the 2G Touch is brighter (like the 4G Nano) than some other iPods like iPhone 3G or 3GS, or 3G Nano. You could try the iBasso T4 or D2 Boa, but the more costly Practical Devices XM5 with bass boost is even better than those, and for the PFE it's probably even better than the RSA Predator. Heck, even a Fiio E5 for $20 will get the sound to be more balanced, at the expense of a very small amount of detail and soundstage.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #1,718 of 3,308
I use some modded complys that were originally for westone tips. Though I have used the medium silicone tips in the past and liked them. Also the original comply are good along with shure small black foamies.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #1,719 of 3,308
Woo Hoo! Just got my PFE's and I love them. They are much more comfortable and better sounding than my old (and cracking) Shure E2C's. I think the Shure's have conditioned my ears to like the Black filters over the Grey.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #1,720 of 3,308
Congrats, resonance, I also had the same impressions as you, coming from SE210, but once I got used to grey I didn't like getting back

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,721 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Resonance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo Hoo! Just got my PFE's and I love them. They are much more comfortable and better sounding than my old (and cracking) Shure E2C's. I think the Shure's have conditioned my ears to like the Black filters over the Grey.

Nice. Now you should become a Team Phonak member
smily_headphones1.gif

During the past week, I've been changing filters a bit too much. I used to listen without filters, but then I got curious and tried the black and grey filters again. I also wanted to have something to protect from earwax, although I do not produce much
smily_headphones1.gif
At the moment, I'm listening without filters again, but was listening with the grey filters the past 2 days. It's nice, having filters who influence the sound signature. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,722 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can check my profile to see what I'm able to pair with the PFE. Unlike some people, I find the iPod Classic(6G) and iPod touch(1G) to sound very good overall and certainly fine with the PFE. I do amp these players but an amp is not a must for the PFE.

I agree, i tried my PFEs with an iPod Classic a few days ago and it worked very nice, great dynamic and soundstage even compared to my Sansa Clip. I don't think an amp improve the SQ as long as you have a good DAP (i tried to pair my Vaio Pocket's LOD with a Headsix and there was just no improvement at all).

By the way i see you have the HD650, is there a a gap between it and the PFE in terms of clarity?

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #1,723 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, i tried my PFEs with an iPod Classic a few days ago and it worked very nice, great dynamic and soundstage even compared to my Sansa Clip. I don't think an amp improve the SQ as long as you have a good DAP (i tried to pair my Vaio Pocket's LOD with a Headsix and there was just no improvement at all).

By the way i see you have the HD650, is there a a gap between it and the PFE in terms of clarity?

Wow. Tough question re the 650 vs. PFE. Without doing a quick comparo I can just say that the 650 has the edge overall,especially for dynamic slam. As far as clarity alone, the PFE might have the edge in fine "music dissecting" details but not a big gap. Of course, it's very difficult to judge an IEM to full size but there it is in a quick thought. This would be with iPod 6G or 1G touch amped with SR-71A.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #1,724 of 3,308
I prefer the grey filter all the time
smily_headphones1.gif
. That what PFEs meant to be.
smily_headphones1.gif
. IMO. I am looking forward how the 'new' improved PFEs sound like, when I got it back
smily_headphones1.gif
. As usual, I am not expecting too high, and hope the cable/earpiece quality will be much better.

PFEs vs full size cans. Ok, I tried my friend's Senn HD595 with D10, and... to my ears, PFEs offered little more clarity, and also little more extended treble. But, 595s gave much more wider soundstage, and sound leakage too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #1,725 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Tough question re the 650 vs. PFE. Without doing a quick comparo I can just say that the 650 has the edge overall,especially for dynamic slam. As far as clarity alone, the PFE might have the edge in fine "music dissecting" details but not a big gap. Of course, it's very difficult to judge an IEM to full size but there it is in a quick thought. This would be with iPod 6G or 1G touch amped with SR-71A.

Thanks. I'm interested by the Sony CD900ST actually but i know it sounds very similar to the HD650 so i have an idea of how they compare now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back