Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Feb 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #511 of 1,072
Get the vsonics GR02 BE from ebay, lendmeurears is the seller, excellent service and the vsonics are hugely better than the 3580s.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #513 of 1,072
I just sold my 3580's what I bought them for. With a ok seal they didn't have enough bass, with a very good seal they had way too much bass for me. If you are willing to equalize them you may like them, but even though they were very detailed I found the lack of soundstage and their overall sound characteristic kind of boring, probably the recessed mids from it's v-shape eq. And they never grew on me even after "burn in". 

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #515 of 1,072
I just got these from Office Max today (the 3580, not the new 3590 version).  I'm very impressed with them.  They sound about as good as the older AKG IEMs that they are replacing.  I really like the sound signature, and they have just the right amount of bass for my taste. The cable sucks, but that's the only mark that I have against it.  It's quite a bit better than the Panasonic HJE120 for only a few dollars more.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #516 of 1,072
I continue to be astounded by these cheap Philips SHE3580 (I now have multiple pairs)

If anyone is hunting for these - since they have been discontinued -
and are being sold at some places at a premium -

I just found them at fleaBay for $6.95 shipped they claim to have more than 10+
and in black, blue, pink, and purple ...ie: SHE3580, 3582, 3583, 3584 respectively
NOTE: from the item description -

Quote:
New other (see details) :
s.gif
“OPEN BOX NEW, ITEM IS LIKE NEW! Original packaging was damaged and removed, item has been resealed in a poly bag. Show below. Item has been tested and sanitized if necessary.”

Hope that helps.

EDIT to ADD -
FWIW - I ordered a pair just before posting this - and according to eBay the item is already marked as shipped with a tracking number - now that is also "astounded"-ly fast!

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #517 of 1,072
I just got the pink 3580s and they blow the momoprice 8320s out of the water in terms of the low end. Mids and Treble feel about the same, but the 3580 does have a slightly narrower soundstage. 

Probably because these are so small that they fit very deep in my ear, then I press the driver housing toward my eyeball and it just sinks right into place.

A bargain at any price (under $20).

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #518 of 1,072
Some have suggested using Comply tips may improve the sound.

I tried some cheap memory foam tips -
I'm not too sure if the sound is improved
seems to me perhaps just a bit mellower.

BUT what has improved noticeably is the microphonics -
no, it is not eliminated - not sure if that is possible because of the stiff cables -
but it is reduced - still suggest over-ear wear and adding a shirt clip to minimize microphonics -
also improves wear comfort (staying in - under more extreme conditions like more vigorous movements, or chewing)

cheapo memory foam tips @ fleaBay $3 for 3 pairs

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #519 of 1,072
Quote:

BUT what has improved noticeably is the microphonics
and the comfort (staying put - under more extreme conditions like chewing or more vigorous movements)

Meelec Double Flanges work best for me. The original tips are unusable.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #520 of 1,072
Simple mushroom stock tips on cheap phones like these work best for me, better than biflanges, triflanges or even complys.  I guess our ears are all different.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #521 of 1,072
Quote:

BUT what has improved noticeably is the microphonics -
no, it is not eliminated - not sure if that is possible because of the stiff cables -
but it is reduced - still suggest over-ear wear and adding a shirt clip to minimize microphonics -
also improves wear comfort (staying in - under more extreme conditions like more vigorous movements, or chewing)

now that you said it, I try wearing it over-ear and now the tips can even go deep-er into my ear canals, Whoooooooo

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #522 of 1,072
Quote:

There may be a slight wrinkle to this purchase -
I bought two pairs
BUT both only came with one each of the spare inserts/tips (one large and one small - NOT in pairs!)
so individually they would have been of no use......

Photo of my 2 still in sealed bags showing only one each of the spare tips

(on closer examination of the photo of the sealed bag on their eBay listing seems to show the same problem -
so this may not be unique)

However I have had good experience with the vendor previously on Amazon -
so I wrote to inform them of this
- they have replied to say they are sending more tips.

Vincent

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #523 of 1,072
Ok, so I've been trying to make custom ear molds for my headphones.  I could never get it to work for the MP 8320.  For whatever reason, they always sounded bad.  So then I found this thread on the Philips 3580.  Went and bought them from Target.  Everyone is right.  Bass is remarkable and highs have great extension (better than the MPs in my opinion).  Only thing was I couldn't get a good seal, even with aftermarket tips. 

So I thought, why not let's give these a shot using the method from the great blog post here:
http://shucknjive.blogspot.com/2009/09/diy-custom-ear-phones.html

I followed the same instructions with a slight mod.

First you get an ear plug kit from:
http://www.earplugstore.com/doearcaimkit.html
To make these.  Just follow the instructions. 

IMG_20130223_160303_547.jpg

Then I got a resin mold kit from Hobby Lobby to make a resin casting of the earplugs:
IMG_20130223_160228_844.jpg

I put vaseline on the earplugs to ensure they would release from the resin.

Next I drilled a hole in the casting to create a sound channel.  I then used heat shrink tubing with the drill bit and the earphone.  The heatshrink ensure I have a clear sound path. 

IMG_20130223_144314_822.jpg

For the next part, I bought a silicon mold kit (also from hobby store).  I first mixed the silicon and inserted it into the casting.  Then I pushed in the earphone with the drill bit attached using the heatshrink tubing.

IMG_20130223_155244_567.jpg

Once dry, I was able to slide the drill bit out the bottom.  Then carefully pried the silicon out of the casting.  On one side I partially tore the the silicon at the corner of the mold for the ear canal bend.  So I increased the thickness in this area by removing some of the casting material. 

The result is this:
IMG_20130223_160200_806.jpg

I have to say with these IEMs, it sounds really great and my isolation is fantastic.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #524 of 1,072
Quote:
Ok, so I've been trying to make custom ear molds for my headphones.  I could never get it to work for the MP 8320.  For whatever reason, they always sounded bad.  So then I found this thread on the Philips 3580.  Went and bought them from Target.  Everyone is right.  Bass is remarkable and highs have great extension (better than the MPs in my opinion).  Only thing was I couldn't get a good seal, even with aftermarket tips. 

So I thought, why not let's give these a shot using the method from the great blog post here:
http://shucknjive.blogspot.com/2009/09/diy-custom-ear-phones.html

I followed the same instructions with a slight mod.

First you get an ear plug kit from:
http://www.earplugstore.com/doearcaimkit.html
To make these.  Just follow the instructions. 

IMG_20130223_160303_547.jpg

Then I got a resin mold kit from Hobby Lobby to make a resin casting of the earplugs:
IMG_20130223_160228_844.jpg

I put vaseline on the earplugs to ensure they would release from the resin.

Next I drilled a hole in the casting to create a sound channel.  I then used heat shrink tubing with the drill bit and the earphone.  The heatshrink ensure I have a clear sound path. 

IMG_20130223_144314_822.jpg

For the next part, I bought a silicon mold kit (also from hobby store).  I first mixed the silicon and inserted it into the casting.  Then I pushed in the earphone with the drill bit attached using the heatshrink tubing.

IMG_20130223_155244_567.jpg

Once dry, I was able to slide the drill bit out the bottom.  Then carefully pried the silicon out of the casting.  On one side I partially tore the the silicon at the corner of the mold for the ear canal bend.  So I increased the thickness in this area by removing some of the casting material. 

The result is this:
IMG_20130223_160200_806.jpg

I have to say with these IEMs, it sounds really great and my isolation is fantastic.  

SHE3580 in custom earmolds--who would've thought
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back