Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #376 of 1,072
Okay I 'burned in' the SHE3590 for about 75 hours. Zero difference.
The bass is all wrong from these earphones. The punchy bass is fine, but the extended sub bass just doesn't feel like part of the sound, you can really feel it but it's slower than the rest of the music - like an echo.
Psychological burn in would may let you get used to it.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #377 of 1,072
my full impression after a solid 12 hour listening, 8 at work and a couple in leasure chilling around, so, to me, the bass is wompy, but tight, very good impact, the mids are pretty meh, woudlnt even use the word good, the the drivers highs are very energetic with not really anything special about them as far as a sparckle or bright but very dynamic and energetic, which to me sounds better with more hiphop poppy stuff. it does powerful vocals decently, i mean songs i know should be tearing my ears off, they just odnt drive it home like that but they do alright in the highs. the over all impression is truly the best bang for the buck for the 6.50$ shipped i got my pairs for, your honestly coudln't ask for much. 

other impressions are cone rubber could be a bit softer, i mprefer tips that have a more silkky feel, these are soft but still very rubber and that tends to create frction as i work and move. the drivers are also not very efficiant, the output is very weak so they do require a COMPLETE 100% seal to get the bass, and the levels to a point one might feel conforible. my listening is of couse very mild and safe. after all i do want to keep my ears helthy lol so my phone has built in limiters for safe listening, and beats softens things up so my phones output with out a seal from the buds leaves me wondering What happen, so they can be tricky. 

the rubber on the cord is very strong, but flexable. the shrink wrap around the jack is well done and properly sealed and not sliding around, as well as the joints on the buds are solid and no sliding out of the buds for a nice solid construciton, the plastic its standard hard plastic with a rubber tip that goes on that creates a seal in your ear cannal. the only thing i dindt like was the way my first pair were packaged, the cord has allot of built in twists and loops in it, i mean not a big deal but annoying. i also note these curves dont apear to dispair easily but i hope they eventualy will after enough use. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #378 of 1,072
Quote:
Okay I 'burned in' the SHE3590 for about 75 hours. Zero difference.
The bass is all wrong from these earphones. The punchy bass is fine, but the extended sub bass just doesn't feel like part of the sound, you can really feel it but it's slower than the rest of the music - like an echo.
Psychological burn in would may let you get used to it.

For the record I didn't expect burn in to make a difference.  And while many here like the SHE35xx just the way they are I find them too bassy, I EQ down the bass to -10dB as seen in the OP.  Using a minimum phase EQ to do this would correct phase as well as amplitude response so the bass may become better integrated after EQ too.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #379 of 1,072
Quote:
Phillips SHE3584:

Are these the same as the 3580??  I just got a pair of 3584's and they sound horrible;   brittle, harsh,  shrill,no bass , etc.  I can't believe these could be the same iem as all the raving reviews here would indicate.  Please tell me that they are not at all the same??!!

My source is an ipod Gen 5.5, no EQ .

bob

Could be an improper seal or a bad pair

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #380 of 1,072
I just got myself a SHE3590 so I will share my experience.

Like many, I have other more expensive earphones. Many of the so call "this is better than that" depends on the source you have and different types of music you listen to. There are earphones that play music that touches my heart but thrashed by some particular tracks that make me want to use another pair. Sometime I feel like Hi-Fi, they are tuned for particular type of preferences and music. Then there is other earphone that are play everything well with mainstream music, SHE3590 is one of this type of earphone.

Being a earphone priced with main street price, it has to be. It is affordable, play music well and actually comfortable to wear.

Is it good? Yes, I think so. When I first use, I use it for 4 hours it pump out music well and enjoyable. While it doesn't produce heavy weight and powerful sound it is very comfortable to listen to. I can listen to music at loud volume without feeling overwhelming, separation is good also and I actually like the mid range. There is no ear pearcing  high and ear shattering low end, the SHE3590 play any type of music without emphasising a particular type of music.

Are there much better earphone out there? Absolutely! Then, I have no problem using SHE3590 for my music and feel missing something. I think that is most important part of the experience.

Is it good? Yes, good enough. For only a price of a meal, go get it. Oh yes, sealing is important otherwise it will sound willy.

I usually do not like the sound signature of Philips earphone. Someone gave me a pair of SHE9550 while they are ok, I don't really like it. With my experience with SHE3590, I am quite keen to find out other model of their earphones.

Any Philips owner here to share other Philips model?

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #382 of 1,072
I just got some 3950's and I am pretty disappointed with how they sound. I was using the sansa earbuds that came with my mp3 player and I didnt think they sounded very good but these philips are quite a bit worse. They are really comfortable though so I am still using them, and I dont notice the bad sound now. But the cord on them is always noisy.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #383 of 1,072
Have been using my SHE3580s for a bit since I've gotten them now, and I think they've been at least burned in enough (60 or so hours of use). Appreciated the recommendations about the tight seal with these earphones, for that did improve the sound quality noticeably. Though it seems these earphones in general are difficult to adjust and seal (at least compared to my old 630s). Tried out all 3 sizes and even with Medium being the best fit, it takes a bit of wriggling to get them to settle in properly.

The issues with the headphone jack have relatively cleared up since initial use. Haven't really heard the channels go out when I twist around the jack anymore. I do not have the mic model, just the standard earphone model, so no issues about bad connection because of TRRS incompatibility here.

As for the sound... my impressions of the SHE3580 have changed, but not necessarily in terms of better or worse. One thing I emphasized previously and have come to appreciate even more with use is the resolution of the earphones. The level of detail and clarity I have been hearing out of these, from the mid-background instrumentals, back vocals, and the like, have been a real treat, since I had never expected to ever have such resolution on cheap earphones.

However, I still have issues with the bass, in light of what's been said about these here. After listening with a proper seal, I can definitely appreciate the bass much better than with initial use. But it seems, to me, that while the SHE3580s are really good at letting you perceive the bass, it is weak at actually letting the listener feel the bass. For the songs I listen to, I can certainly hear the lowest bass and beats, but it is a completely clinical feelings. There is no energy out of the bass levels at all, which diminishes the pleasure of many songs when you can hear how low the bass guitar or synthesizer beat is going off, appreciate the lower registers, but are completely unmoved by it because of the lack of "oomph."

And on another note, EQ is completely necessary with these earphones. After tuning the EQ to a curve similar to what Joe Bloggs has suggested, there was a very noticeable change in dynamics. EQing complement these earphones extremely well, and can definitely make up for the dynamic shortcomings inherent with these earphones. This is a sample of my EQ settings (adjusted for increased bass, as per my personal tastes, but not at all necessary to see the improvement that EQ can give to these earphones):

During my commutes I've been switching on and off between using EQ to non-EQ, and the difference in dynamics are great enough for me that it's pretty much gotten to the point that I won't stand how weak and unpronounced the stock sound is and always have the EQ on when using these earphones.
wink.gif

All in all, these earphones are an interesting buy, but they weren't the well-rounded super-bargain earphones that I was hoping for. Doesn't mean I still won't keep and use them though.
etysmile.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #384 of 1,072
A good way to get a good seal on IME, try this:
1. Open your mouth, relax your jaw
2. Pull the top of your ear
3. Insert the IME

= good seal

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #385 of 1,072
Very Good Post !!!

A good way to get a good seal on IME, try this:
1. Open your mouth, relax your jaw
2. Pull the top of your ear
3. Insert the IME
= good seal

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #386 of 1,072
Quote:
I just got myself a SHE3590 so I will share my experience.

Like many, I have other more expensive earphones. Many of the so call "this is better than that" depends on the source you have and different types of music you listen to. There are earphones that play music that touches my heart but thrashed by some particular tracks that make me want to use another pair. Sometime I feel like Hi-Fi, they are tuned for particular type of preferences and music. Then there is other earphone that are play everything well with mainstream music, SHE3590 is one of this type of earphone.

Being a earphone priced with main street price, it has to be. It is affordable, play music well and actually comfortable to wear.

Is it good? Yes, I think so. When I first use, I use it for 4 hours it pump out music well and enjoyable. While it doesn't produce heavy weight and powerful sound it is very comfortable to listen to. I can listen to music at loud volume without feeling overwhelming, separation is good also and I actually like the mid range. There is no ear pearcing  high and ear shattering low end, the SHE3590 play any type of music without emphasising a particular type of music.

Are there much better earphone out there? Absolutely! Then, I have no problem using SHE3590 for my music and feel missing something. I think that is most important part of the experience.

Is it good? Yes, good enough. For only a price of a meal, go get it. Oh yes, sealing is important otherwise it will sound willy.

I usually do not like the sound signature of Philips earphone. Someone gave me a pair of SHE9550 while they are ok, I don't really like it. With my experience with SHE3590, I am quite keen to find out other model of their earphones.

Any Philips owner here to share other Philips model?

Phillips SHE9700 is the one if it's still sold in your country. Dsnuts also recommended the SHE5105. The two of them have the same sound signature as SHE3580 while SHE9700 has more powerfull sub-bass and clearer mid+high, better soundstage perhaps because of the open acoustic vent? I can't comment on the SHE5105 though, didn't available here in Indonesia.:)

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #387 of 1,072
Sep 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #388 of 1,072
Quote:

Phillips SHE9700 is the one if it's still sold in your country. Dsnuts also recommended the SHE5105. The two of them have the same sound signature as SHE3580 while SHE9700 has more powerfull sub-bass and clearer mid+high, better soundstage perhaps because of the open acoustic vent? I can't comment on the SHE5105 though, didn't available here in Indonesia.:)

I saw SHE9700 and SHE8005 and a few more at the mall opposite my home.
The Grey SHE3590 is selling at S$13 there! Good price!

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #389 of 1,072
Quote:

Originally Posted by menchi:

Thanks for posting these settings, they work for me.  With no eq they sound pretty bad to my ears, and the eq Joe B has in the first post didn't quite do it for me either.  I had to tweak these settings just a little for my ears (and will probably make a few more small changes).  Also, my Foobar eq has 18 bands so I had to eyeball your wavy line and guess how it matched with my Foobar eq in places.  Good, though.  Maybe not $100 iem's, but surely worth more than I paid.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #390 of 1,072
Quote:
How would you say these compare with the Sennheiser CX 200?

I recently lost a tip for my CX 200s and decided to buy a $6 pair of these with the intention of just stealing the tips and returning to my Sennheisers if I didn't care for them. After having them for a few days, I'm pretty confident these are superior (sound-wise) for my taste / music (mostly progressive rock) and won't be returning to the CX 200 anytime soon.

That said, the cable has slightly more memory than the Sennheisers (which was very tangle prone but at least the coord wasn't stiff). Hopefully that will reduce with time- I've at least gotten rid of most of the twists/loops formed due to the coil based packaging. Microphonics are about as bad as my CX 200s, but after using those 10-12hrs a day, 5 days a week, for over a year, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back