Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Dec 3, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #961 of 1,072
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to buy a new pair of earphones to replace my SHE3590.

I was initially going to just get another pair of those but I saw that Philips have one called the SHE7000.  The retail price of this one in the country I'm from compared to the 3590 is 50% more but I found a place where I can get it for only 10% more so what I would like to know is about which one is better.

Tl;dr: SHE3590 vs SHE7000, which one is better? 

Thanks

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #962 of 1,072
  I've tried to like these and i just can't :frowning2:
There is nothing i like about them..
I for example listen to an album "Heartwork" from Carcass to test it them out and i hear what sounds like
a chamber effect almost is the best way i can explain it or some kind of oscilation.
I don't know if i got a bad set of of earbuds or what but i think they sound quality on these are crap and are unusable.

I wanted to say all this to warn people they *may not like them, regardless of the huge amount of positive feedback.
I don't like the oval opening or how it's covered in metal mesh. I don't like the shape and size of these either..
It's hard to handle they feel to small and are a bit tricky to line up in your ears i think.
They also have no marker like a raised bump of plastic to help identify what side is which
and the printing on them is ultra small and hard to read and printed on the wrong side of both earbuds.
I also really don't like the soft rubber cable, it tends to hold on to the bend from packaging for ages
and worst because the rubber is so soft it feels like it snags on everything super easy, after all why do electronics
like your cell phone or computer mouse get coated in soft rubber ? Grip..
Touch the cable and it makes vibration / noise in your ears.
There is no cord splitter on the cable.

In comparison to Sony's competing cheap earbuds i think the Philips cheap earbuds suck.. Sony seems too have thought it all out well with features
AND most important of all i find the sound quality of Sony to be far superior to Philips but Sony's manufacturing quality is hit and miss though.

Anyway i know its always a matter of taste so if you like what you got then just ignore me and i hope you enjoy your Philips buds :)
I just want to warn people and suggest the Sony MDREX cheapo earbuds to people as an alternative, some people may just want to buy both to test out
considering how cheap they both are it may not hurt to see which you like better :wink:

My summary is even with different eartips, eq'ing or burn-in i don;t think these Philips earbuds have good enough sound quality for me.. they just sound cheap and hollow kinda :frowning2:

To be honest, they're ok. I think they have been blown a little out of proportion with all the hype that was generated about them.
Definitely...definitely not an ety killer. Nowhere in the same neighborhood.
To me they sounded similar to my soundmagic e10 except with more bass. Tons of plentiful bass but overall pretty decent separation so mids aren't completely drowned out. It is a very consumer friendly sound.
Just remember, they're *good value*. Not many iems punch past their price point to really shock. Hell, even some really expensive ones do not offer truly neutral sound or very impressive technical capabilities.
Only one out of the many cheap pairs I bought truly made my jaw drop.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #963 of 1,072
The SHE3580 were my first IEMs and I had them before I knew about the hype (Phillips even had a star rating system for sound quality on the box which suggested they were mediocre at best). As I didn't regularly listen to headphones at the time I thought the were great though they definitely had a v-shape. A lot of reviewers say they have a lot of sub-bass but I don't think so; compared to some other IEMs I have now they lack sub-bass. I bought the SHE3590 last year and despite the difference in nozzle design they sound pretty much the same even without burn-in. (treble a bit more laid-back in my SH3580)

I noticed on both pairs a channel imbalance. It may be due to the shallow fit in my ears or my ears being tuned differently, but the left channel sounds a bit fuller to me.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #964 of 1,072
I've really enjoyed my pair of SHE3590's, but I just wanted to share my personal Rockbox EQ settings, they are as follows:

Peak Filter 1
Center Frequency=2920 Hz
Q=1.0
Gain=-2.5 db

Peak Filter 2
Center Frequency=5080 Hz
Q=1.0
Gain=-6.5 db

Peak Filter 3
Center Frequency=8170 Hz
Q=1.0
Gain=-3.0 db

You'll notice that all of my Q's are 1.0 as I wasn't sure how it would change my percieved sound. (Help?)

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #965 of 1,072
Is there anyone here who has tried SHE3900? Is it worth buying over 3590 and how does it compare to the famous 3590? 

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #966 of 1,072
Wow, looks like I'll have to order these to see for myself what this hype is all about.

Did they make these so good by accident or what? :D

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #968 of 1,072
Anyone tried these 3590 vs piston v2?
Any thoughts?

Overall 3590 is more balanced than Pistons 2.1 with a bit more forward midrange and bigger bass quantity but better quality. Treble is also smoother on 3590 which is good for extented listening. Pistons have sharp, piercing highs and sound unnatural. I found 3590 to be better than Pistons.

3590 has more clear vocals and mids. Pistons has some kind of veiled midrange and vocals compared to the clearer 3590. 
wink.gif

I hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #969 of 1,072

Overall 3590 is more balanced than Pistons 2.1 with a bit more forward midrange and bigger bass quantity but better quality. Treble is also smoother on 3590 which is good for extented listening. Pistons have sharp, piercing highs and sound unnatural. I found 3590 to be better than Pistons.

3590 has more clear vocals and mids. Pistons has some kind of veiled midrange and vocals compared to the clearer 3590. 
wink.gif

I hope this helps.

You're kidding me.
the 3590 had Hyeug bass presence.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #970 of 1,072
  You're kidding me.
the 3590 had Hyeug bass presence.

I still have my old (2 years) pairs of 3580.

3580 vs Pistons 2.0
IMHO............

Bass on the 3580 has more  presence, hits harder but overall i like the sound of the Pistons2.0
Both are V shapped but i find the overall sound of the Pistons  a tad better than the 3580.

For the price, the 3580 is a great deal.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #972 of 1,072
I don't know for sure if you could not get them to fit, but Comply does not suggest the the same size for those Shure earphones and the Philips. For the Philips they suggest the "200" models and for the Shures in question the "100" models. So, probably, those foams are meant for earphones with smaller diameter than the Philips. The difference in size is not much, so, maybe they could stretch enough to go on the Philips? On the other hand there are other Shure earphones that get the same Comply foam recommendation as the Philips. Foams for those models are probably a better bet if they are available. The models are Shure E2c, E2g, i2c and SCL2.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #974 of 1,072
  God dammit, I ordered the ones I listed earlier. :frowning2: 

Hope they will squeeze on.

sorry i hate to burst your bubble but no... the inner core of the shure foams are hard plastic, they won't stretch much at all. and the philips nozzle is much much wider 

i have both and i can say for certain it won't work, you'll hurt your hand trying to get it on (or break the nozzle)

your better off trying to find complys that could fit the nozzle on the philips

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #975 of 1,072
  sorry i hate to burst your bubble but no... the inner core of the shure foams are hard plastic, they won't stretch much at all. and the philips nozzle is much much wider 

i have both and i can say for certain it won't work, you'll hurt your hand trying to get it on (or break the nozzle)

your better off trying to find complys that could fit the nozzle on the philips

I've had the Comply T-200. They're awesome for a month, then they start to fall apart and lose their seal. It's too expensive spending $20 on 3 sets of foam tips every few months for a $8 set of earbuds.

On the Comply T-200, the inner diameter is slightly larger compared to the stock tips inner diameter hole, so I'm hoping they can work. There is also this post that says it works with Shure. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back