Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Jun 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #871 of 1,072
The Philips are way better than the CX 200 or CX 475 IMO. I don't think it's really all that close. CX 475 in particular is artificial sounding with sibilance galore. Bass extension also better on the Philips. Sennheiser makes good headphones but man their cheaper in ears are disappointing.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #872 of 1,072
The 475 bass is over done and not detailed. But back to back for me both sound better. The MH1c sound much better than all of these. But I can't keep them in at all.

Many suggest you need to change the tips to get the best out of the philips. Maybe I haven't found the right combination. For me they are ok. But no more than that. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #873 of 1,072
It's tough to make a definitive statement about sound signature. There are too many variables involved: w or w/out an amp, listening level, the DAP, bit rate, among others.

I have found a combination and EQ setting that works well for me:

1. Sansa Clip

2. Pop EQ setting

3. Fiio E6

4. Philips 3575

They're still a little brighter than neutral, which works well for older, treble lite recordings. I'll be happy with this setup for a long time.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #875 of 1,072
So I looked all over my house for my pair of SHE3590 to go running with today. I gave up, went to get my clothes out the dryer, and out they popped. The cable strain reliefs became detached (I'll just superglue it back) but they're otherwise fine. Sound quality seems to be unaffected. Pleasantly surprised at how durable these are!

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #876 of 1,072
  So I looked all over my house for my pair of SHE3590 to go running with today. I gave up, went to get my clothes out the dryer, and out they popped. The cable strain reliefs became detached (I'll just superglue it back) but they're otherwise fine. Sound quality seems to be unaffected. Pleasantly surprised at how durable these are!

very much so, here are some pictures of mine its totally nasty feeling but again still alive

u might not be able to see it but its been through a lot (lots of sweating in the gym and pulls and tugs) theres a cut in the cable (exposing the wires but it still works) even though i paid more than probably most people here, i'm actually okay with it, seeing how long their lasting so far

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #877 of 1,072
So, I bought the 3590s. I think I had 3580s before, because I don't remember them having oval nozzles. The question is, what about Comply foams on them? Are there some that fit? Do they leak out because the tip's plastic core is round and doesn't fit perfectly?

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #878 of 1,072
The newer 2013 or 2014 3590s have the oval nozzles for a more "ergonomic comfort fit" as they put it. The older 3590s had round nozzles. Anyway, the comply T400s fit fine on them and I can't tell of any leaks although it does make the core oval shaped. I think it muffles the sound too much and I prefer silicone tips in terms of both bass and treble, FWIW.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #879 of 1,072
Yeah, I heard that the T series foams muffles the sound. Supposedly the S series is better in that regard (on cost of isolation, which usually is more or less similar to rubber tips). Even the Ts series should be, although not as much.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #880 of 1,072
I'm sure the S400 would work fine if the T400 fit. The stock tips are round too, so they just form to fit the oval shape of the nozzle. The S series may sound better, but I don't have them to test, unfortunately. Maybe someone else can chime in. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #881 of 1,072
I just thought I'd give a little update on how I feel about these little guys. At first I was unsure about them. I found the treble harsh, and it wasn't until I messed with a sine wave generator that I noticed there are two resonance peaks in the treble around 5.5k and 7.7k. After taming them with EQ as well as tweaking the overall curve I ended up with this (image from EQu):

I enjoyed that for about a month. These were the settings I had when I showed them to my Klipsch s4 owning friend who thought these had better sound and assumed they were more expensive.

Eventually though, after listening to a bit more raw sounding music like the Killers, I found this EQ to be too restricting. I felt I was missing out on the "fun" people mention when they talk about the 3590s. After more tweaking I ended up with this:

As you can see, I raised the bass and treble almost to stock. I tweaked those two peaks a bit by narrowing the frequencies I was correcting and dropping them down even more. I'm happy with this EQ, though I do sometimes go back to my original EQ for some more mellow music.

I still see my EQ as a work in progress. I might go back to the sine wave at some point to try to zero in on precisely what frequencies are giving me trouble. I think there might be one more even higher that I can pick out in some songs.

In the end, I'm very impressed by these $5 IEMs. Great sound after some TLC. I'm thinking about buying a couple and giving them to friends.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #882 of 1,072
So, I bought the 3590s. I think I had 3580s before, because I don't remember them having oval nozzles. The question is, what about Comply foams on them? Are there some that fit? Do they leak out because the tip's plastic core is round and doesn't fit perfectly?

The newer 2013 or 2014 3590s have the oval nozzles for a more "ergonomic comfort fit" as they put it. The older 3590s had round nozzles. Anyway, the comply T400s fit fine on them and I can't tell of any leaks although it does make the core oval shaped. I think it muffles the sound too much and I prefer silicone tips in terms of both bass and treble, FWIW.

Oval nozzles? :eek: I've bought 3590s this year and don't see no oval nozzles :eek: Could you guys post a picture?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #883 of 1,072
I'm pretty sure there are two versions, one called "clear sound" and one called "dynamic bass" or something like that. I bought both to test the difference, but both had oval nozzles and sounded exactly alike. The older model blue (2013, round nozzle) was a dark or royal blue, where the newer (oval, 2014) was the more vibrant blue. I think they updated the colors a bit when they redesigned the nozzle. I actually like the feel of the oval nozzle, and it doesn't change the sound quality. Anyway, here's some pics of how they look with and without tips.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #884 of 1,072
I'm pretty sure there are two versions, one called "clear sound" and one called "dynamic bass" or something like that. I bought both to test the difference, but both had oval nozzles and sounded exactly alike. The older model blue (2013, round nozzle) was a dark or royal blue, where the newer (oval, 2014) was the more vibrant blue. I think they updated the colors a bit when they redesigned the nozzle. I actually like the feel of the oval nozzle, and it doesn't change the sound quality. Anyway, here's some pics of how they look with and without tips.

Yeah, like pan hje120s.....Thx for the pictures.....

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #885 of 1,072
Hi all, I'm interested in buying a pair of Philips SHE3590. These earphones are discontinued right? http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE3590PP-10-Headphone-Purple/dp/B007BOL77S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406494596&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+SHE3590 Is this the correct one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back