Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
May 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #841 of 1,072
Thanks, I'll do that before I make up my mind about them. My eq might need some more tweaking as well, but since I tapered down some of the treble I'm liking the smoother sound I'm getting out of them.

Edit:
After I burn them in and if I still am not totally happy with them, I'll try the different tips. I'm glad to hear I didn't get a different version. Honestly, I'm probably going to pick up a couple more pairs either way, since I'm still liking the sound and it looks like they might be discontinued.

I just ordered 3 more from Amazon for ~$25 lol these are so cheap it's ridiculous. Aside from actual burn in, your ears also need to get adjusted to the sound. I use the stock tips and find them good enough, a lot of people use the sony hybrids on these but it's true that their small bore takes away some treble and adds midbass, which I don't really like. But it might not be so bad if you're using eq to reduce treble anyways. Another great thing about these is that apart from the sub bass, they are fairly well balanced so they respond really well to eq. Sound great at lower volumes stock too, at higher volumes the bass and treble do get a tee bit out of hand but that's what makes them fun. Try the monoprice cheapos for something more neutral.

May 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #842 of 1,072
  Thanks, I'll do that before I make up my mind about them. My eq might need some more tweaking as well, but since I tapered down some of the treble I'm liking the smoother sound I'm getting out of them.

Edit:
After I burn them in and if I still am not totally happy with them, I'll try the different tips. I'm glad to hear I didn't get a different version. Honestly, I'm probably going to pick up a couple more pairs either way, since I'm still liking the sound and it looks like they might be discontinued.

just figured i might give a little update:

i was using the wider bore tips and the "non burned- in" one is harsher in the treble and a bit less bass extension.

it was not a problem with the "burned in" one.

switching back to the original tips helps a bit with the harshness but it needs burn in. the sony hybrids would help this a bit more i find but thats if you have em lying around.

also the large size tip is rubbish (its soo flimsy) that i feel bad for anyone that actually needs to use the large ones. i swear the material gets thinner and thiner as you get larger (especially at the ridges of the base). the small one is definitely the more rigid and solid

May 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #844 of 1,072
just figured i might give a little update:

i was using the wider bore tips and the "non burned- in" one is harsher in the treble and a bit less bass extension.

it was not a problem with the "burned in" one.

switching back to the original tips helps a bit with the harshness but it needs burn in. the sony hybrids would help this a bit more i find but thats if you have em lying around.

also the large size tip is rubbish (its soo flimsy) that i feel bad for anyone that actually needs to use the large ones. i swear the material gets thinner and thiner as you get larger (especially at the ridges of the base). the small one is definitely the more rigid and solid

Lol yeah that large tip is horrendous. I use the medium and works alright for me. Sony hybrids change the sound quite a bit and I'm not sure if it's for the better. These really need a wide bore for the treble to shine, otherwise it's super bassy. Then again I don't think the wide bore is the culprait, I think the Sony hybrids just provide a better seal and thus = moar bass. Gonna try a bunch of different tips that I have laying around. If indeed these are discontinued time to stock up. These will be my gym headphone and pretty sure they won't last, they feel cheap and that cable is bad.

May 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #845 of 1,072
Lol yeah that large tip is horrendous. I use the medium and works alright for me. Sony hybrids change the sound quite a bit and I'm not sure if it's for the better. These really need a wide bore for the treble to shine, otherwise it's super bassy. Then again I don't think the wide bore is the culprait, I think the Sony hybrids just provide a better seal and thus = moar bass. Gonna try a bunch of different tips that I have laying around. If indeed these are discontinued time to stock up. These will be my gym headphone and pretty sure they won't last, they feel cheap and that cable is bad.

surprising they do last.... i've had them for about 3 or so years now. for the first 1.5 i was using them for running, lifting in the gym. i treated them like crap, wondering when they'll die out, (i'm one of the those people that won't really get a replacement until it breaks)

the strain reliefs gone on the jack (like it ripped) the cables is really gross feeling (sticky) and smells a bit (thats my fault =P) theres a small cut on the cable (like the outer layer but the internals are fine

still alive and working! plus i wear them over the ear so i have to pull on the cable when taking them out, my fingers aren't the smallest to grab the drivers out.

no harm grabbing a few extra though haha 

they feel flimsy but they've stood the test of time for me so far 

May 26, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #846 of 1,072
Burn them in. These are better than the Klipsh IMO. But yes they are bassy

I actually got a second pair recently (still have my original pair as well, so i can verify u need burn in on them) but first try different ear tips ( i use to use the smalls and they really become overly bassy try the mediums while wearing them over ear to start)

Now i use a more bigger opening/apeture ear tip, i think this opens up the sound , tones down some of the bass, opening the the treble a bit, seems to sound more extended than with the more narrow tips i find (which warms up the sound, i dont think these needs help with that). Mids are recessed but at lower volumes its not as obvious, female vocals sound great still because if the lower treble prominence. I find it sounds better than male.

And yes i found them to sound better than the s4 (which i owned previously and sold) and i would say on par or close with the monster turbines. It has a faster bass, more extended treble a bit less smooth up there though.

Plus im now rockin them in pink
smily_headphones1.gif
(last pair available in store but i dont mind i like the change up in colour

I'm curious what you guys didn't like about the s4. I'm not much of an audiophile and don't really have the vocabulary to describe the sound but, for example, when I listen to a song like 42 by Coldplay through the s4, it sounds like the singer is standing right next to me. I don't get that with the 3590s. It sounds like there's no substance, like I'm listening to, well, a recording, and it's just treble and bass. I understand both the s4 and the 3590 have a V sound signature so, it can't be just that unless it's more pronounced in the 3590s.

So I guess my questions are, what do you like more about the 3580s/90s compared to the S4s? And are you using eq with your 3590s?

Thanks

May 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #847 of 1,072

I'm curious what you guys didn't like about the s4. I'm not much of an audiophile and don't really have the vocabulary to describe the sound but, for example, when I listen to a song like 42 by Coldplay through the s4, it sounds like the singer is standing right next to me. I don't get that with the 3590s. It sounds like there's no substance, like I'm listening to, well, a recording, and it's just treble and bass. I understand both the s4 and the 3590 have a V sound signature so, it can't be just that unless it's more pronounced in the 3590s.

So I guess my questions are, what do you like more about the 3580s/90s compared to the S4s? And are you using eq with your 3590s?

Thanks

no problem, i'm not saying the s4s suck or anything

just that their overhyped, majorly. and i'm not even sure how they got as popular as they are. like compare to the say the beats tours which are celebrity endorsed. the s4s never really had that and somehow it just got into the centre of everyones recommendation.

the s4s have a more forward midrange specifically to the lower midrange- mid midrange section, which brings male vocals like chris martin closer in the entire sound spectrum. 

they already have a forward midbass as well which makes it punchy, i find overly punchy without much substance in the lower bass region to back up that substantial midbass spike. (what i mean is like its the punchy driving bass thats in a lot of pop songs but once a really low bass note hits, the s4 doesn't have much power in that region (like the rumbling subbass regions) the midbass also is not really fast i find so it lingers too much after the bass hit.

the 3580s- 3590s have a more scooped up midrange as whole (making the vocals more distant sounding-> as you stated) but if you listen to more female vocals like the adeles, mariah carey or even demi lovato (the 3580/90 can project better, because the 3590s begin the upwards slope after that midrange dip) and even the bass is like a downwards slope so its not as "punchy" sounding as the s4s but it doesn't have the really thick midbass

in terms of treble i find the s4s lower treble siblant (not as exaggerated as most people say) its moderately so, the extension is not really great i find its lacks fitness in the treble for more slower music say for example in coldplays "strawberry swing" 

the 3580s have better treble extension and even though its not what i call smooth, its not bad. 

the s4s are just a v shape sound but tuned more aggressive sounding

the 3580s are exciting but as a whole the sound is not as aggressive as the s4s, so its a more "all rounder " between the two

but the housing design is really ergonomic on the klipschs and the eartips are super comfy (but i find the silcone they use brings up the siblance a bit (i used the shure olives and the comply waxguard versions when i had them to tone that siblance down) complys did a better job of that (smoothing it out) but bumped the bass even more up

so in the end i couldn't tweak it anymore and sold it

May 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #848 of 1,072

Thanks

plus the s4s now are way past their time, they were alright a few years back but the market now is soo ridiculously competive that their so many earphones that are cheaper and can outperform them in that v shape sound signature. only problem is the companies they come from now are not as well known. (much of the chinese brands).

May 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #849 of 1,072
Thanks for the reply, Tom. That makes a lot of sense and explains what I've been hearing. It's completely possible I'm just not used to the 3590s yet. I think it's their sibilance that is the most shocking to me. I really like the sound of them in a couple songs specifically though, but others sound strange to me, like the vocals in 42. But even in that same song I like the sound of the cymbals more through the 3590s.

It's funny about the popularity of the s4s, since I didn't know about that when I got them. I just went to an electronics store with my wife, listened to about 15 or so different sets of IEMs, and we both agreed they sounded the best to us.

May 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #850 of 1,072
  Thanks for the reply, Tom. That makes a lot of sense and explains what I've been hearing. It's completely possible I'm just not used to the 3590s yet. I think it's their sibilance that is the most shocking to me. I really like the sound of them in a couple songs specifically though, but others sound strange to me, like the vocals in 42. But even in that same song I like the sound of the cymbals more through the 3590s.

It's funny about the popularity of the s4s, since I didn't know about that when I got them. I just went to an electronics store with my wife, listened to about 15 or so different sets of IEMs, and we both agreed they sounded the best to us.

well if you like the sound you like the sound! just cause i didn't like it don't let it discourage you! that wasn't my goal! i just mean i preferred the 3590> s4s. they have their appeal as well! otherwise they wouldn't be so popular!

May 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #851 of 1,072

Thanks

Tom did an excellent job going in depth answering your question. I'd just add that the Klipsch aren't very balanced and the mid bass bloat kinda ruins the rest of the sound spectrum IMO. It also has a harsh treble that is indeed prone to sibilance. In comparison the Philips aren't sibilant at all, which makes me think you might not have a proper seal. Life like representation is the last thing I'd say about the Klipsch, and their original msrp of ~$100 is kinda laughable and even at $40 that they go for now they aren't a great value. But not because they suck or anything, they have a consumer friendly sound and they can play really loud with gobs of bass, people seem to like this plus they are comfy and look cool. On their own merits they're not awful, and even if one doesn't prefer the Philips(it's $10) it doesn't change that there are much better sounding earphones than the Klipsh for less money. Soungmagic, Vsonics, Quadbeats, MH1C, etc. immediately come to mind. The Klipsch against things at their $100 msrp? Forget about it.

May 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #852 of 1,072
Tom did an excellent job going in depth answering your question. I'd just add that the Klipsch aren't very balanced and the mid bass bloat kinda ruins the rest of the sound spectrum IMO. It also has a harsh treble that is indeed prone to sibilance. In comparison the Philips aren't sibilant at all, which makes me think you might not have a proper seal. Life like representation is the last thing I'd say about the Klipsch, and their original msrp of ~$100 is kinda laughable and even at $40 that they go for now they aren't a great value. But not because they suck or anything, they have a consumer friendly sound and they can play really loud with gobs of bass, people seem to like this plus they are comfy and look cool. On their own merits they're not awful, and even if one doesn't prefer the Philips(it's $10) it doesn't change that there are much better sounding earphones than the Klipsh for less money. Soungmagic, Vsonics, Quadbeats, MH1C, etc. immediately come to mind. The Klipsch against things at their $100 msrp? Forget about it.

i would say the philips straight out the box has a mild (very mild) case of siblance its not present on my older 3580 so burn it should smooth it out

but i even prefer my 3580s > my monster turbines (which at msrp are many many times more expensive) but i got it for 50$ used =)

in regards to the life like presentation: it really depends how you really like it

do you want the singer to be right in front of you? 

in terms of pure realism (i find anyway) and natural under 100$ i would say the hifiman re400 would be the the one to try. to me its easily one of my favorite iems (if your coming from the s4is you will feel that its basslight. but then you'll start to hear that by turning down the bass it really opens up the treble and mids. but the re400s have some midbass emphasis no where near the s4is i would say it would be closer to the midbass on the 3580s. but it has great extension down in the bass and textured. the treble is has tremendous extension and articulate (but not fatiguing at all, many describe the treble as delicate and refined, and i agree)

the mids are really what you wanna know about its basically flat throughout the entire midrange (even the bass is pretty flat) so it doesn't have a preference for male or female vocals but they are they are both amazing. 

the entire sound sig is quite lean so you might not like it (sony hybrid tips help) 

May 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #853 of 1,072
  well if you like the sound you like the sound! just cause i didn't like it don't let it discourage you! that wasn't my goal! i just mean i preferred the 3590> s4s. they have their appeal as well! otherwise they wouldn't be so popular!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound defensive! I was just surprised, and happy, to see so many people talking about them since I picked them up pretty randomly.

I had been using the small tips but taking your advice I put on the medium ones. There's definitely a big difference and that could very well have been part of my problem.

i would say the philips straight out the box has a mild (very mild) case of siblance its not present on my older 3580 so burn it should smooth it out

but i even prefer my 3580s > my monster turbines (which at msrp are many many times more expensive) but i got it for 50$ used =)

in regards to the life like presentation: it really depends how you really like it

do you want the singer to be right in front of you? 

in terms of pure realism (i find anyway) and natural under 100$ i would say the hifiman re400 would be the the one to try. to me its easily one of my favorite iems (if your coming from the s4is you will feel that its basslight. but then you'll start to hear that by turning down the bass it really opens up the treble and mids. but the re400s have some midbass emphasis no where near the s4is i would say it would be closer to the midbass on the 3580s. but it has great extension down in the bass and textured. the treble is has tremendous extension and articulate (but not fatiguing at all, many describe the treble as delicate and refined, and i agree)

the mids are really what you wanna know about its basically flat throughout the entire midrange (even the bass is pretty flat) so it doesn't have a preference for male or female vocals but they are they are both amazing. 

the entire sound sig is quite lean so you might not like it (sony hybrid tips help) 

I'm going to an electronics store today to give a listen to some IEMs and pick up another pair. I'd been planning to pick up a backup pair of 3590s, maybe in a different color, but I'll give the re400s a listen if they're available. I'm also planning on checking out the Panasonic RPHJE120 and 355s. They seem pretty highly regarded here.

May 30, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #854 of 1,072
OK, I got it all figured out and am loving the 3590s now. I followed Joe Bloggs's instructions on how to equalize headphones and got rid of two peaks I was hearing in the 5k and 7k range. My first complaint I made about the 3590's being too bassy was because I tried to equalize out those peaks without knowing what I was doing, or that they were even specific frequencies, which is how I ended up cutting out too much treble. Later when I was complaining about sibilance I was actually complaining about those peaks without knowing what I was hearing. But man, now that they're gone, the 3590s sound really good.

May 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #855 of 1,072
I figure most people won't get how good these are until they spend some EQ time looking for the sweet spot. A Sansa Clip + running the rockbox firmware and using comply foams are the reason I've now got 4 pairs of these....and at $9 each, who could blame me as these have to be up there as one of most inexpensive, under appreciated earphones which is too bad as it now looks like Philips have discontinued them according to Amazon.

The secret to these earphones are spending time with them in order to tame them, that's when you'll get the payoff. I don't think they needed all that much burn in either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back