Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #15,016 of 15,268
That's a hot take but interesting point of view. Unfortunately i can't audition headphones. I have a limited experience. From my limited experience, Ananda isn't that impressive in my opinion. I like it's sub bass articulation but the headphone lacks a lot of dynamics in full spectrum. It almost sounds like compressed. Soundstage and imaging isn't great either. DT 1990 destroys this in terms of dynamics and imaging in my opinion. 1990 also has a more definitive, faster sound. Ananda has a different type of detail. I think Ananda resolves individual instruments better. Makes them sound more real, 3d. 1990 resolves the complex music better you get more resolution, definition, contrast. So different strengths and weaknesses. I feel like you favour planars a bit more.

I do favor planars more, but I think that's a result of the core issue: I value resolution, transient speed, and instrument separation more highly that soundstage width, dynamic impact, or imaging, and for some reason hadn't given those last three enough credit as "technical" aspects of sound. What you said about the Ananda is spot on, and I certainly would not say it's a better headphone than the HD800S, not even close. I would never buy the former, and I would never sell the latter. Given this more expansive view of technicals, I can definitely see how the HD800S beats out the Ananda and LCD-2, and I would consider it roughly on the level of the Arya and LCD-X '21. Or the Focal Clear OG, to add another one.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #15,017 of 15,268
Here is my old friend, still sound decent. I think I may part with it. If anybody is interest, just let me know.

Attachments

• 0124221254_HDR.jpg
    0124221254_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #15,018 of 15,268
I do favor planars more, but I think that's a result of the core issue: I value resolution, transient speed, and instrument separation more highly that soundstage width, dynamic impact, or imaging, and for some reason hadn't given those last three enough credit as "technical" aspects of sound. What you said about the Ananda is spot on, and I certainly would not say it's a better headphone than the HD800S, not even close. I would never buy the former, and I would never sell the latter. Given this more expansive view of technicals, I can definitely see how the HD800S beats out the Ananda and LCD-2, and I would consider it roughly on the level of the Arya and LCD-X '21. Or the Focal Clear OG, to add another one.
I love both. My dream setup right now HD800S as a main headphone and LCD X as a complementary headphone. The 4 high end headphone have this nice synergy. You can either have Arya+Clear or HD800S+LCD X. They will cover most grounds. The economy in my country is really f'ed right now so i can't really buy anything but i'm dying to get one.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #15,019 of 15,268
I was kind of heading towards a Focal Clear Mg... but that spike in the treble bothers me a bit. I could EQ I suppose.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #15,020 of 15,268
I was kind of heading towards a Focal Clear Mg... but that spike in the treble bothers me a bit. I could EQ I suppose.
I heard the Clear MG at some length in my system. I also own an original Fidelio X2 that is ~5 yrs old but has very low hours and is in perfect condition.

The CMG was a mixed bag for me:
  • On the one hand, it was the first Focal HP I heard that didn't hurt my ears. It was actually listenable, rather nice overall, some real depth and space in the sound, unlike 2 other Focals:
    • I heard an Elear at length IMS on several occasions. Even w/mods + different/better earpads, it had an insistent, pushy tone that I couldn't live with. A slow but sure headache HP for me
    • I heard a Clear just once at a show. It was by a long shot the brightest sound I ever heard (unendurable). If this is what "resolution" sounds like, no mas, por favor.
    • (yes, I'm averse to edgy/pushy upper mids & treble)
  • On the other hand, the Clear MG has a noticeable spike in the upper mid or low treble. Its effect varied by genre of music, but it was always there. To live with that HP I'd have to invest in EQ of some kind. Nope.
Meanwhile, the humble, inexpensive X2s just percolate along, giving me the same ear-friendly, pleasing, open/resonant sound I first fell in love with 5 years ago. It was my first "serious" headphone and it still sounds great to me. Does it have the resolution and build quality of the Clear MG? No, and not quite are the answers. Still, I can live with the X2s all day long.

One of those cases where the far cheaper HP actually beats all hell out of the more expensive one.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #15,023 of 15,268
Hi
What the difference between x2 and x2hr?

Here is my take, coming from when I just bought the X2HR to replace my X2/27. I still stand by it.

I think the X2/27 and X2HR sound slightly different almost assuredly because of the change to the pads. The X2HR has a tighter, cleaner sound to both treble and bass. Nothing major, just this side of noticeable, and it may be a difference that disappears as the pads wear in. That said, the X2HR pads are much more comfortable, making that the version to shoot for.

A year and a half later, those differences don't seem to have disappeared, however I am no longer able to A/B them. The X2HR just sounds the same to me as it always has.

Mar 27, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #15,026 of 15,268
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #15,027 of 15,268
Any current recommendations for a non-microphonic cable? I have ordered two new cables recently and both were stiff and loud. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks
I'm very happy with the cables I got from Ghent Audio. Very inexpensive and relatively non-microphonic.

I have 3 of these. They sounded somewhat better than the stock cable and were far less microphonic. In each case, I asked Ghent Xu to change the jack on one end to 3.5mm (1/8th"), which he did for no add'l cost:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #15,028 of 15,268
I'm very happy with the cables I got from Ghent Audio. Very inexpensive and relatively non-microphonic.

I have 3 of these. They sounded somewhat better than the stock cable and were far less microphonic. In each case, I asked Ghent Xu to change the jack on one end to 3.5mm (1/8th"), which he did for no add'l cost:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
Thanks. Is it reasonably flexible? The last two I have bought have been stiff as rebar.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #15,029 of 15,268
Thanks. Is it reasonably flexible? The last two I have bought have been stiff as rebar.
Well, it's not as floppy as multi-strand woven cables, which basically can lay across a desktop then go 90 degrees to hang over one side.

But it coils quite readily and it's springy or stiff.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #15,030 of 15,268
Any current recommendations for a non-microphonic cable? I have ordered two new cables recently and both were stiff and loud. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks

If you're willing to spend extra, Forza AudioWorks Noir is dead silent, super slinky and feels great all in all. It's a boutique product made to order (just as everything FAW's owner Matt does), but worth the expense.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back