Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #14,987 of 15,268
We did it, folks

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #14,989 of 15,268
How do you like the LG C1? I have read it is a great TV.
I have the LG A7 for slighty more than 3 years and I love it. This year LG 42C2 to use on my desk. It depends on your use case too.

I've seen the C1 in a physical store and it's a beauty!

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #14,991 of 15,268
How do you like the LG C1? I have read it is a great TV.
You weren't asking me, but I just have to answer. I bought my 77" LG C1 in 2019. It is far and away the best television I've ever seen.

I've seen any number of impressive 4K sets on display, but I would have trouble living with a non-OLED, as I find the extreme brightness headache-producing. It's impressive, but wearing on my eyes & head to see 2000 nits or whatever insane brightness is put out by high-end LCD/QLEDs.

Very different with this OLED. I have it adjusted for maximum fidelity to color and sources, not for max brightness. Even so, when the explosions come in 4K/HDR content, I have to turn away. 4K/HDR content looks insanely good on this set with easily the best color fidelity and black levels I've ever seen. The upscaling of 1K content is also superior. For example, one of the best looking series on this TV is the British/Masterpiece Theatre police procedural, ENDEAVOUR (prequel to the famous INSPECTOR MORSE series). ENDEAVOUR is not streamed in 4K, yet it looks fabulous on this set, most especially the outdoor architectural and/or nature scenes.

However, the way I have this LG set up probably isn't for everyone:
  • I watch only at night in a large, dimly lit room
  • I watch only blu rays (4K and std) very occasionally; mostly I watch streaming content (4K Netflix stream + Prime Video)
  • No cable TV, no sports, so no content with those obtrusive, never-off-the-screen logos. Thus, no burn-in (ever)
I'm a longtime lover of plasma TVs and still have 2 elsewhere in the house, including the legendary 42" Pioneer Kuro--but this LG has them beat, and by a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #14,992 of 15,268
Thanks for your impressions of the TV. I was researching new TV's recently and the LG C1 kept coming up as the top pick almost everywhere I looked. I'm glad you like it.
We still have a Panasonic Plasma TV from 2005 or so. It still works great and has a great picture but I'm sure it wouldn't compare to some of the newer high end sets out there today like the C1.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #14,993 of 15,268
IMO, wait for the C2 if you can, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a C1 either.

For C2 IIRC it will have full 48GB HDMI 2.1 ports. Probably not an issue for anyone but gamers, but something to consider over the C1. If you use things like 120Hz VRR, you are going to want full bandwidth HDMI 2.1. TVs introduced since the pandemic have been limited in this regard. 2022 is the first year I've been excited about TVs in a long while. Personally, I'm holding out for the Sony X95K, and hoping it delivers. Mini led with the Sony XR backlight master drive should be a winner.

And just to stay on topic, here is my latest experiment:
X2HR Transtek Hybrid 30mm.jpg

These pads (using 3D printed adapters for mounting rings)
Amazon

These definitely need EQ. Bass is extremely elevated. Treble actually benefits thanks to the pleather lining inside the earcup. Less recessed compared to stock pads. These are very plush and comfortable. I use this brand of pads on my SHP9500, and it's the best pads I've found for that headphone. I think I still prefer a thinner velour pad for the X2HR, but dang these are comfortable. Just too thick for the X2HR.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #14,994 of 15,268
IMO, wait for the C2 if you can, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a C1 either.

For C2 IIRC it will have full 48GB HDMI 2.1 ports. Probably not an issue for anyone but gamers, but something to consider over the C1. If you use things like 120Hz VRR, you are going to want full bandwidth HDMI 2.1. TVs introduced since the pandemic have been limited in this regard. 2022 is the first year I've been excited about TVs in a long while. Personally, I'm holding out for the Sony X95K, and hoping it delivers. Mini led with the Sony XR backlight master drive should be a winner.

And just to stay on topic, here is my latest experiment:
X2HR Transtek Hybrid 30mm.jpg

These pads (using 3D printed adapters for mounting rings)
Amazon

These definitely need EQ. Bass is extremely elevated. Treble actually benefits thanks to the pleather lining inside the earcup. Less recessed compared to stock pads. These are very plush and comfortable. I use this brand of pads on my SHP9500, and it's the best pads I've found for that headphone. I think I still prefer a thinner velour pad for the X2HR, but dang these are comfortable. Just too thick for the X2HR.
Thanks for the info on the TV's. I will hold off on a purchase for a while.

Those pads look really comfortable!

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #14,995 of 15,268
Anyone have this headphone and HD800S can compare the soundstage ?

It definitely tells you something that there are several of us who do own both the X2 and the 800S and that no one dismissed the relevance of comparing the X2 to another headphone ten times the price. I bought my first pair or X2's back when I owned hardly any gear and knew nothing about the hobby, but now that I own a ton of gear and know a little about the hobby, I am just as impressed with them. One of the few entry level cans that deserves legend status.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #14,996 of 15,268
Have owned the X2's, 650's and 800's. Out of the three, sold two of them -- both the Senns. FWIW...the X2's are squarely in my won't sell group.

To be fair, l sold the Senns when I got rid of my OTL amp. Didn't miss the 800's. Did miss the 650's and bought 6XX's to replace them.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #14,997 of 15,268
It definitely tells you something that there are several of us who do own both the X2 and the 800S and that no one dismissed the relevance of comparing the X2 to another headphone ten times the price. I bought my first pair or X2's back when I owned hardly any gear and knew nothing about the hobby, but now that I own a ton of gear and know a little about the hobby, I am just as impressed with them. One of the few entry level cans that deserves legend status.
I've never owned the 800S, but I do own various headphones that cost far more than the X2s (ZMF Ori, Aeolus, Verite Open; Final D8000). Regardless, I value the X2s for what they are--a quite musical, comfortable headphone, a real sonic overachiever.

Had a typical X2 experience last night. I don't listen to it as often in years past, so it's been ~1 year since last listen. I'm burning in a new DAC/Amp AIO device and decided to check in w/the X2s, which (as it turns out) are vastly better than the cheap closed backs I'd been using for burn-in. I had 2 immediate thoughts:
  1. This DAC/amp sounds really good
  2. And the X2s sound really good
(good news all around)

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #14,998 of 15,268
I've never owned the 800S, but I do own various headphones that cost far more than the X2s (ZMF Ori, Aeolus, Verite Open; Final D8000). Regardless, I value the X2s for what they are--a quite musical, comfortable headphone, a real sonic overachiever.

Had a typical X2 experience last night. I don't listen to it as often in years past, so it's been ~1 year since last listen. I'm burning in a new DAC/Amp AIO device and decided to check in w/the X2s, which (as it turns out) are vastly better than the cheap closed backs I'd been using for burn-in. I had 2 immediate thoughts:
  1. This DAC/amp sounds really good
  2. And the X2s sound really good
(good news all around)

An overachiever is a good way to describe these. I don't think anyone earnestly believes that the X2 goes toe-to-toe with TOTL cans in any area except soundstage width, but man, they do make you question the need to spend that extra money. In fact, that's literally how I've been listening to them lately: as a deterrent to buying an LCD-5 before I find a good deal. And it works. A couple hours with my X2 and my DAP, and I think, "why should I spend a lot of money to get good sound when I have these?" The only other headphone I'd put in that category is the HD560S, another phenom for the price.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #14,999 of 15,268
An overachiever is a good way to describe these. I don't think anyone earnestly believes that the X2 goes toe-to-toe with TOTL cans in any area except soundstage width, but man, they do make you question the need to spend that extra money. In fact, that's literally how I've been listening to them lately: as a deterrent to buying an LCD-5 before I find a good deal. And it works. A couple hours with my X2 and my DAP, and I think, "why should I spend a lot of money to get good sound when I have these?" The only other headphone I'd put in that category is the HD560S, another phenom for the price.
I like X2 too. It's fun, bright (i like) and soundstage is very nice. I came from DT 770. 770 is my favourite headphone so far and X2 felt like an open back version of the 770. I tried a lot of headphones and always favoured my 770. Some headphones sounded ridiculously bad even. The first headphone that challenged my 770 is the X2. It was easy to get used to X2 for me. The problem was they didn't felt like an upgrade. I was looking for an upgrade. X2HR is open back 770 with more natural vocals (because it's open back) but worse technicalities(to my ears). Then i bought DT 1990 for an upgrade and they delivered on that premise. 1990 destroys both 770 and X2HR in my opinion however outside of rock music, i didn't like them as much as X2 and 770. Now i'm thinking about HD800S.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #15,000 of 15,268
I like X2 too. It's fun, bright (i like) and soundstage is very nice. I came from DT 770. 770 is my favourite headphone so far and X2 felt like an open back version of the 770. I tried a lot of headphones and always favoured my 770. Some headphones sounded ridiculously bad even. The first headphone that challenged my 770 is the X2. It was easy to get used to X2 for me. The problem was they didn't felt like an upgrade. I was looking for an upgrade. X2HR is open back 770 with more natural vocals (because it's open back) but worse technicalities(to my ears). Then i bought DT 1990 for an upgrade and they delivered on that premise. 1990 destroys both 770 and X2HR in my opinion however outside of rock music, i didn't like them as much as X2 and 770. Now i'm thinking about HD800S.

I recently sold my DT770 and kept the X2 because they are pretty similar. I love the soundstage and build on the X2 more, so I kept those, but I do miss that DT770. If I could have replaced the cable, they might have stayed with me. I've actually been curious about the DT1990 for a while, but never could find a good price on it. It's essentially everything I wanted out of the 770, so now I'm very interested.

The HD800S is amazing. It's tuned bright, but after your brain adjusts to it, the sound is simply so good. Everything sounds uncannily outside of your head and clear and precise. Really phenomenal, IMO. But, they can be an acquired taste. Even on the best gear, they can be too bright for some people. On mediocre gear, they can sound harsh and thin. If that's the sound you're after and you can provide them with a suitable amp, they really are killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back