Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #15,001 of 15,268
I recently sold my DT770 and kept the X2 because they are pretty similar. I love the soundstage and build on the X2 more, so I kept those, but I do miss that DT770. If I could have replaced the cable, they might have stayed with me. I've actually been curious about the DT1990 for a while, but never could find a good price on it. It's essentially everything I wanted out of the 770, so now I'm very interested.

The HD800S is amazing. It's tuned bright, but after your brain adjusts to it, the sound is simply so good. Everything sounds uncannily outside of your head and clear and precise. Really phenomenal, IMO. But, they can be an acquired taste. Even on the best gear, they can be too bright for some people. On mediocre gear, they can sound harsh and thin. If that's the sound you're after and you can provide them with a suitable amp, they really are killer.
I would kept X2 too to be honest but 770 was my own unit so it wasn't returnable like the X2. I returned X2 and bought the 1990. DT 1990 price is really good in EU. It's one of the best buy for the price in my opinion however it's very expensive in US where it reaches Elex, Ananda, LCD 2C tier of headphones (i have Ananda but haven't heard others yet) so the competition is fierce. It's Sundara competitor in EU. Ananda competitor in US.
1990 doesn't have the soundstage of the X2 or even 770. The soundstage is still good though. It's not an issue. It's just not gonna satisfy if you want big soundstage. They are forward and aggressive, very aggressive. Pounding bass, energizing treble, accurate(no dips and peaks) warm mids (elevated treble can skew mids though). It's warm and bright at the same time. Treble peak is too much. Very fast, very dynamic, resolving. It can not be a main headphone but it would be great as an alternative to reach out when you are in the mood. Even chill, sleepy music sound energizing on that headphone lol. Overly stimulating.

I have the Zen Can right now with 4.4mm balanced it can output almost 1w at 300ohm which is very impressive. There is also the xbass button in case of bass roll off. My amp looks good for the HD800S on paper. I feel like this is the most logical high end option for my taste.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #15,002 of 15,268
so I’ve had X2s for a while and what I don’t have a sense of is, let’s say I overall like the sound profile and the soundstage. But I want to upgrade to get something more - maybe a smoother top end or whatever. What is the clearest real upgrade to the X2s?

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #15,003 of 15,268
AKG K712 comes to mind

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #15,004 of 15,268
I've had the X2's for a few years...I like the way they sound, but they're uncomfortable. I've bent the headband,
done other (slight) physical mods. Changed the cable, of course. But still, there are the round earholes
for ears that aren't round./s

The X3's are more comfortable for me, but don't sound quite as good imo.
Still, though, current pricing on Amazon makes them quite a good deal I think.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #15,007 of 15,268
Hello
I want to buy used Fidelio x2hr. What manufacturer needs to be on the box? I read that one of them is good and another is not good. Maybe it was about x2 and not HE version. Who know tell me please
It should be like this:

philips_fidelio_x2hr_free_ship_1638002979_0b4e5978

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #15,008 of 15,268
Hello
I want to buy used Fidelio x2hr. What manufacturer needs to be on the box? I read that one of them is good and another is not good. Maybe it was about x2 and not HE version. Who know tell me please
Originally the manufacturer was WOOX, a division of Philips, which sold the division to Gibson, renamed it Gibson Innovations, went bankrupt, parts were sold off and now Envision Peripherals makes the X2HR. Some people felt there was an issue with manufacturing quality during the Philips to Gibson transition, but I don't recall any reported issues going Gibson to Envision.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #15,010 of 15,268
nothing can beat x2hr, i will rebuy another pair when it fails, i am blessed to have a good head size, it's comfortable as hell, lol

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #15,011 of 15,268
so I’ve had X2s for a while and what I don’t have a sense of is, let’s say I overall like the sound profile and the soundstage. But I want to upgrade to get something more - maybe a smoother top end or whatever. What is the clearest real upgrade to the X2s?
I'm thinking HD800S because the soundstage of X2 strike me the most but probably other sound characteristics isn't close. X2 is more energetic. People seem to find HD800S boring so i don't know. There are also a lot of people think HD800S is Utopia, Susvara tier headphone, not like Arya, LCD X tier. You never know. It's audio. In Crin's ranking HD800S one of the best when it comes to technicalities. Above Utopia and HE1000. Same as Susvara, LCD4.

Edit: My only concern is the bass. Not the stock bass since it almost lacks in any open back headphone. I EQ Ananda's bass for example. It's free gain. Stock bass of open backs almost never enough.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #15,012 of 15,268
I'm thinking HD800S because the soundstage of X2 strike me the most but probably other sound characteristics isn't close. X2 is more energetic. People seem to find HD800S boring so i don't know. There are also a lot of people think HD800S is Utopia, Susvara tier headphone, not like Arya, LCD X tier. You never know. It's audio. In Crin's ranking HD800S one of the best when it comes to technicalities. Above Utopia and HE1000. Same as Susvara, LCD4.

Edit: My only concern is the bass. Not the stock bass since it almost lacks in any open back headphone. I EQ Ananda's bass for example. It's free gain. Stock bass of open backs almost never enough.

I love the HD800S, and I think it's phenomenal. It's not got the technical prowess of the LCD-X or the Arya. Nor of the LCD-2 or the Ananda. Claiming it beats the Utopia or the Susvara is frankly hard to take seriously. While the HD800S has superlative soundstage width, in every other regard in doesn't keep up with those others. In particular, bass control and microdetail just aren't comparable to planars around that price nor to some other dynamics.

What the HD800S does do exceptionally well is that its tuning wrings out the absolute most from the technical power it does have. While it may be subjectively too bright for some people, the sound signature is extremely cohesive and well balanced, and it plays to the technical merits of the headphone. In that regard, it is easy to see how one might prefer the HD800S over some headphone that has even far better resolution and so on, but also has a poor FR. I suspect that's part of why Crinacle rates it so highly. Certainly, I get the appeal. In a lot of ways, that's the same praise I would give to the X2, as different a sound signature as they have. In each case, someone took the time to give those drivers the best possible presentation and the result is magical. Perhaps that's why, in both cases, there isn't a clear upgrade path without giving up some major characteristic.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #15,013 of 15,268
I love the HD800S, and I think it's phenomenal. It's not got the technical prowess of the LCD-X or the Arya. Nor of the LCD-2 or the Ananda. Claiming it beats the Utopia or the Susvara is frankly hard to take seriously. While the HD800S has superlative soundstage width, in every other regard in doesn't keep up with those others. In particular, bass control and microdetail just aren't comparable to planars around that price nor to some other dynamics.

What the HD800S does do exceptionally well is that its tuning wrings out the absolute most from the technical power it does have. While it may be subjectively too bright for some people, the sound signature is extremely cohesive and well balanced, and it plays to the technical merits of the headphone. In that regard, it is easy to see how one might prefer the HD800S over some headphone that has even far better resolution and so on, but also has a poor FR. I suspect that's part of why Crinacle rates it so highly. Certainly, I get the appeal. In a lot of ways, that's the same praise I would give to the X2, as different a sound signature as they have. In each case, someone took the time to give those drivers the best possible presentation and the result is magical. Perhaps that's why, in both cases, there isn't a clear upgrade path without giving up some major characteristic.
That's a hot take but interesting point of view. Unfortunately i can't audition headphones. I have a limited experience. From my limited experience, Ananda isn't that impressive in my opinion. I like it's sub bass articulation but the headphone lacks a lot of dynamics in full spectrum. It almost sounds like compressed. Soundstage and imaging isn't great either. DT 1990 destroys this in terms of dynamics and imaging in my opinion. 1990 also has a more definitive, faster sound. Ananda has a different type of detail. I think Ananda resolves individual instruments better. Makes them sound more real, 3d. 1990 resolves the complex music better you get more resolution, definition, contrast. So different strengths and weaknesses. I feel like you favour planars a bit more.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #15,015 of 15,268
So it came to UK in 11 days, it feels soft if not softer, spongy as hell, fitting perfectly without an error, comfy as fricking most comfortable pads ever, and for the best part, sounds fricking spectacular, not a single complaint, this is best buy for replacement pads, do we still have complaints that there are no x2hr pads in the world? they've been there on ebay since forever

Attachments

• 20220124_132755.jpg
    20220124_132755.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    74 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back