Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #14,191 of 15,268
Weird.. I had my x2’s ever since they came out. They broke a few months back and I modded them with some Peerless 50mm drivers..but I was still missing that fun sound of X2.

Now I bought the X2hr’s and I feel like they aren’t as fun as the x2’s were. I’m sure it’s probably me being used to my other headphones by now. Too bad these philips driver’s weren’t a bit more stronger. The x2’s seem to bottom out with certain bass music once I throw an amp on them.

And the x2’s treble seems to be different as well. Maybe once again I’m imagining things but the x2hr seems a bit brighter? I loved my x2’s cause I NEVER had a problem with treble or antyhign else. It was my trouble free headphone..till it broke lol.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #14,192 of 15,268
For those wanting X2HR replacement pads, I've read the Shure 1540 pads work well. Nice and plush and not a huge difference over stock pads.

I also found these X2-specific adapter rings that can be 3D printed. I found a local place that can print them for about $20 shipped. Seems relatively cheap and cleaner than trying to wrap a pad over the 3.5mm connection.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783629

My X2HR is relatively new, but when it comes time to swap pads, I will probably go this route.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #14,193 of 15,268
Weird.. I had my x2’s ever since they came out. They broke a few months back and I modded them with some Peerless 50mm drivers..but I was still missing that fun sound of X2.

Now I bought the X2hr’s and I feel like they aren’t as fun as the x2’s were. I’m sure it’s probably me being used to my other headphones by now. Too bad these philips driver’s weren’t a bit more stronger. The x2’s seem to bottom out with certain bass music once I throw an amp on them.

And the x2’s treble seems to be different as well. Maybe once again I’m imagining things but the x2hr seems a bit brighter? I loved my x2’s cause I NEVER had a problem with treble or anything else. It was my trouble free headphone..till it broke lol.

I find that the only difference between the X2/27 and X2HR soundwise is improved treble on the HR and a bit of extra resolution. I would bet both are a result of the changes of the pads. They swapped foam for memory foam and the velour for a slightly softer one. It's possible that also shifted treble peaks slightly, perhaps pushing a peak into an area of the FR bothers you. Also, it could be an issue of old pads versus new, which is a common way that soundchanges over time.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #14,194 of 15,268
For those wanting X2HR replacement pads, I've read the Shure 1540 pads work well. Nice and plush and not a huge difference over stock pads.

I also found these X2-specific adapter rings that can be 3D printed. I found a local place that can print them for about $20 shipped. Seems relatively cheap and cleaner than trying to wrap a pad over the 3.5mm connection.

My X2HR is relatively new, but when it comes time to swap pads, I will probably go this route.

Thank you for this! im currently looking for new pads for my X2HR :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #14,195 of 15,268

I already swapped it with my x2 pads and it still had the same thing going on. It just feels like the x2hr’s are missing that bit of dynamic,darker yet warmer energy. The treble is more pronounced from what I can remember but these just feel like they have some soul missing to them.

I was tempted to open them up since it‘s pretty easy to do,I wonder if the rear of the speaker has the same arrangement as the x2 did. Or does the x2hr use any type of different damping on the inside? Just hate to sell basically brand new x2hr‘s only to lose money yet again on headphones...

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #14,196 of 15,268
I already swapped it with my x2 pads and it still had the same thing going on. It just feels like the x2hr’s are missing that bit of dynamic,darker yet warmer energy. The treble is more pronounced from what I can remember but these just feel like they have some soul missing to them.

I was tempted to open them up since it‘s pretty easy to do,I wonder if the rear of the speaker has the same arrangement as the x2 did. Or does the x2hr use any type of different damping on the inside? Just hate to sell basically brand new x2hr‘s only to lose money yet again on headphones...

As far as I know X2HRs are just a minor cosmetic update and redesigned pads, there's no difference in the drivers. It's possible you're just hearing normal driver variation, not every set of the same headphones is gonna sound exactly the same, or maybe more likely since it's been a while since you heard your X2s your memory of how they sounded is not reliable and you're used to a different sound now. Human memory for sound isn't great, it's hard to compare any headphones unless you're directly swapping them back and forth.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #14,197 of 15,268

I cracked my pair open to do a quick mod posted on Solderdude's review. Other than a few rogue globs of glue and the writing on the back of the driver, mine looked exactly like the pics he posted.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #14,198 of 15,268
I picked these up for speaker virtualization/impulcifer use. The DT990 I had were the 250ohm version so I couldn't get sufficient volume for high dynamic range movies with Head Releated Impulse responses being rendered. These are much easier to drive. And of course actually sound good without EQ. DT990s are a treble mess.

I'm amazed at the comfort. I've never owned the head band type headphones - they really help when you have glasses and long hair. They sound decent to me, even without EQ. And for Impulcifer use they're amazing! I love how the cable detaches - can even plug in a BT receiver if I need them for wireless use. I can wear my Sony XM3's or Bose 700 also for hours, but nothing beats the breath-ability of open backs for comfort. Love the large cups.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #14,199 of 15,268
As far as I know X2HRs are just a minor cosmetic update and redesigned pads, there's no difference in the drivers. It's possible you're just hearing normal driver variation, not every set of the same headphones is gonna sound exactly the same, or maybe more likely since it's been a while since you heard your X2s your memory of how they sounded is not reliable and you're used to a different sound now. Human memory for sound isn't great, it's hard to compare any headphones unless you're directly swapping them back and forth.

Yeah I was just expecting that since I had that pair since they literally came out that the remembrance would still be there. But I do think the x2hr have to be different in the treble range. Cause when I modded in my Peerless drivers they sounded much better than the x2's, but now they are more closer matched. The peerless are a hell of a lot brighter but can be eq'd a good amount, and while they don't have that bass that the x2 magically has, the peerless drivers do have a ton more bass at higher volumes that the x2/hr's can't compete with.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #14,200 of 15,268
I love how the cable detaches - can even plug in a BT receiver if I need them for wireless use. I can wear my Sony XM3's or Bose 700 also for hours, but nothing beats the breath-ability of open backs for comfort. Love the large cups.

The single detachable cable is my favorite part of these. I have a Fiio BTR3K (BT receiver) attached to my X2HR for use in my gaming setup. With that and a short 3.5mm male-to-male cable, it was extremely easy to convert to what is now a wireless headphone.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #14,201 of 15,268
What's a good replacement cable for this headphone? I need one that's 4-5 ft long instead of the almost 10 ft it comes with.

Also, what's the best way to clean the pads? My toddlers got a hold of them.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #14,202 of 15,268
What's a good replacement cable for this headphone? I need one that's 4-5 ft long instead of the almost 10 ft it comes with.

Also, what's the best way to clean the pads? My toddlers got a hold of them.

I ditched the stock cable on my X2s as soon as I could. It was too long, also somewhat microphonic (made noise as it rubbed against clothing).

I replaced that w/a couple 2M lengths of cable #D05 from Ghent Audio, a very inexpensive & helpful cable vendor in China. Here's the cable I got:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

I needed one of the quarter-inch jacks to be replaced w/a 3.5mm jack (to plug into the X2). The owner, Ghent Xu, did so upon request, and I don't even think there was an extra charge.

These cables sound great, have almost zero microphonics, and cost little. Strongly recommended...

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #14,203 of 15,268
I'm still rocking my X2s ... but my earpads are a mess...
Yes, i have the glued version, but they are not glued anymore :D ( ooops )

So which options do we have for replacement earpads in your opinion, the best options?

Thank you so much :)

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #14,204 of 15,268
I'm still rocking my X2s ... but my earpads are a mess...
Yes, i have the glued version, but they are not glued anymore :D ( ooops )

So which options do we have for replacement earpads in your opinion, the best options?

Thank you so much :)

If you can't somehow procure an alternate set of X2 or X2HR pads w/the rings intact--your best bet is to use Brainwavz 100mm round suedes. The technique is laid out in one of my recent posts (last 1-2 wks).

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #14,205 of 15,268
For those looking to complement their planars with the X2HR/27 I can highly recommend it. I use an HE-400i for my daily headphones and wanted a little more punch on the low end and a little less bite in the treble. The X2HR/27 delivers. Great punchy base, excellent clarity, and amazing detail. Comfort is superb once you loosen up the clamp force a bit. I just wore mine and after a week the clamp force is perfect.

Like others have mentioned you need a replacement cable right away. Easy to find for under $50 shipped.

I do find the sound signature less V-shaped than both the DT990 and Shure SRH1540. Both of those I found to be overly V-shaped in their signature. The Shure having too boomy bass and distorting while the DT990 is too far away from neutral to enjoy with my music.

E30/L30 stack

Track1:
E30/L30 stack
One More Night by Dizaro

Track2:
Do That To Me One More Time by Zyrene

Track3:
Blackbird Chain by Beck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back