Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #13,666 of 15,268
it really depends on your budget. best bang for buck right now is a Schiit Magni 3 at $59 direct from schiit website, or you can do the Magni3+ for $99. if your budget is $200, I'd say Asgard 3. im not a schiit fanboy, I just think you get a lot better bang for your buck on overall quality, not just in sound but in quality of components and sound.

I’ve owned two desktop amps before, but sold them off quite a while ago. One was a Valhalla and the other was a dockable FiiO (though I forget the model right now). I loved the way tubes sound for music, but not gaming, which was my primary usage. I sadly had to sell my tubes due to my kid (1.5-2 at the time) getting up to my desk. Now I have a 3 and 4 yr old, plus an almost 9 month old, so tubes are still out of the question.

I think I’d like a single unit DAC/amp combo, but there’s sooo many choices. Plus I don’t really know what I’m looking at, lol. There’s nowhere local to test these things before buying.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #13,667 of 15,268
I’ve owned two desktop amps before, but sold them off quite a while ago. One was a Valhalla and the other was a dockable FiiO (though I forget the model right now). I loved the way tubes sound for music, but not gaming, which was my primary usage. I sadly had to sell my tubes due to my kid (1.5-2 at the time) getting up to my desk. Now I have a 3 and 4 yr old, plus an almost 9 month old, so tubes are still out of the question.

I think I’d like a single unit DAC/amp combo, but there’s sooo many choices. Plus I don’t really know what I’m looking at, lol. There’s nowhere local to test these things before buying.

well magni 3 has a 15 day return policy, with a restocking fee. no questions asked

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #13,668 of 15,268
Well, I'll be using these mostly for gaming from my PC so I guess a desktop amp. I'm somewhat intrigued by the AQ DragonFly Cobalt, but not sure I want a true portable at this point.

Quality headphone amps you can't go wrong with at specific price points:

JDS Labs Atom $99: https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

JDS Labs EL Amp 2 $249: https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/

S.M.S.L SP200 THX AAA-888 Balanced Headphone Amplifier with XLR RCA Input $260.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNDN5PF/

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #13,669 of 15,268
Quality headphone amps you can't go wrong with at specific price points:

JDS Labs Atom $99: https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

JDS Labs EL Amp 2 $249: https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/

S.M.S.L SP200 THX AAA-888 Balanced Headphone Amplifier with XLR RCA Input $260.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNDN5PF/

Atom sounded good but lacked a little oomph in the dynamics. I'd go with Magni 3+ if you will spend $99. Or magni 3 standard for $59 if tight budget. I think Magni 3+ is the new $99 king though

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #13,670 of 15,268
Atom sounded good but lacked a little oomph in the dynamics. I'd go with Magni 3+ if you will spend $99. Or magni 3 standard for $59 if tight budget. I think Magni 3+ is the new $99 king though

I've heard the Atom and like it, can't say I had an issue with the dynamics. Haven't heard the Magni 3+, specs show it has more power than the Atom, but the tradeoff looks like higher THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) and IMD (InterModulation Distortion). That distortion might not be perceived as a negative at normal (quieter) listening levels - the distortion can increase the amount of high frequency sound you hear which can make music sound "brighter" and to some people this gets perceived as an increase in soundstage or detail (only at very high listening levels the distortion might make things sound obviously bad).

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #13,671 of 15,268
I've heard the Atom and like it, can't say I had an issue with the dynamics. Haven't heard the Magni 3+, specs show it has more power than the Atom, but the tradeoff looks like higher THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) and IMD (InterModulation Distortion). That distortion might not be perceived as a negative at normal (quieter) listening levels - the distortion can increase the amount of high frequency sound you hear which can make music sound "brighter" and to some people this gets perceived as an increase in soundstage or detail (only at very high listening levels the distortion might make things sound obviously bad).

It's $40 cheaper... that was my only point. Depends on his budget.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #13,672 of 15,268
So, yesterday I thought I was going to purchase a Magni+ until I read a single review stating that it can bring out some harshness, up top, in cans. I’ve returned more than one pair of headphones due to sibilance. I’m very sensitive to it. Maybe that’s why I liked tube amps so much, but I cannot go that route at this time.

Budget is flexible, probably a max of 300-400, but less is better, per the Mrs.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #13,673 of 15,268
So, yesterday I thought I was going to purchase a Magni+ until I read a single review stating that it can bring out some harshness, up top, in cans. I’ve returned more than one pair of headphones due to sibilance. I’m very sensitive to it. Maybe that’s why I liked tube amps so much, but I cannot go that route at this time.

Budget is flexible, probably a max of 300-400, but less is better, per the Mrs.

there are two versions of magni 3 +... heresy is all new design. which was the review for? prob regular magni 3+.

get the Heresy. it has a 15 day return policy if it doesn't impress you.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #13,675 of 15,268
So...The Spark and the Magni 3 both work well with my X2's...no sibilance issues for me but ymmv.
I imagine any of the above mentioned amps from JDS, Schiit, or SMSL would work fine as well.

Personally doubt you can hear the difference in distortion levels (volume level-matched, etc.) at the .00X levels but if you've got bat or dog ears :wink: knock yourself out with the Heresy or the Atom

Earlier you mentioned that you'd like to consider an all-in-one unit and that your a PC Based Gamer.

This might be an option...

HIGH POWER GAMING (AND MUSIC!) DAC/AMP
1000mW into 32 ohms—enough to light up any gaming headphone you throw at it, and tons of power for virtually every audiophile headphone, too. With an all-new, DC-coupled, high-current output stage with feedforward, its performance is far beyond any computer or phone. In addition, the microphone input uses a stereo 24-bit AKM ADC with front-panel gain control for highest possible quality.
https://www.schiit.com/products/hel

hel-front-1920.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #13,676 of 15,268
Using my X2HR's. First off I must say that only having one cable out of the headphone is cool! I haven't had this since I started out with the ATH-M50X/B&W P5 combo.
Of course you can't do balanced, AFAIK.

These do seem a little muddy, compared to my best phones, which is to be expected. Nice strong bass. I will bounce through all types of music over the next few days.

My system for today is:
Sony NW-ZX300 DAP to
SMSL SU-8 DAC
Signal split to:
Schiit Vali 2 amp
Cavalli Liquid Spark

Music is Rock, Blues and horn Jazz

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #13,677 of 15,268
I had totally forgotten about JDS Labs amps. The original Element was my second fave amp that I tested at a meet in DC many years ago.

Would the Element II combo unit be too much/ overkill for what im wanting to do? I know it's at the upper tier for what im looking to spend.

I bought 2 sets of cans the other day: the x2hr and Nighthawk Carbon. They both arrived yesterday.

I don't necessarily need anything gamer-y. I prefer practical over flashy. I also, don't really need a mic input as I have a standalone USB mic.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #13,678 of 15,268
I had totally forgotten about JDS Labs amps. The original Element was my second fave amp that I tested at a meet in DC many years ago.

Would the Element II combo unit be too much/ overkill for what im wanting to do? I know it's at the upper tier for what im looking to spend.

I bought 2 sets of cans the other day: the x2hr and Nighthawk Carbon. They both arrived yesterday.

I don't necessarily need anything gamer-y. I prefer practical over flashy. I also, don't really need a mic input as I have a standalone USB mic.

In my opinion it's almost always overkill when your amp and DAC are worth more than your headphones. I never found the X2s or the Nighthawks to be very picky about amp pairing and they're both very efficient headphones. If you want JDS I'd just go with an Atom and OL.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #13,679 of 15,268
In my opinion it's almost always overkill when your amp and DAC are worth more than your headphones. I never found the X2s or the Nighthawks to be very picky about amp pairing and they're both very efficient headphones. If you want JDS I'd just go with an Atom and OL.

I still would take Heresy over Atom, Heresy is built better, looks better, all steel, Atom is plastic from China. Same price and they both sound good, so eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back