Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #13,651 of 15,268
the earpads are different, which can change sound quite a bit. also since they are removable, I can see how my other pads do on it with double sided tape.

In my experience they're not different enough that it makes a significant change in sound, especially since the X2s aren't as seal-dependent as some headphones, it's not like swapping out to a very different material or depth in terms of effect, but your mileage may vary

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #13,652 of 15,268
Got mine today. Pretty quick. Minneapolis to Nova Scotia. Left on Friday, delivered on Wednesday by UPS. No taxes or fees due on delivery so that was cool!
Total landed cost in town is $171.57 (Canuck Bucks). I paid more than that for ATH-M50X's several years ago.:slight_smile:

I opened the box and checked it out. Nice looking 'phones, cable isn't super stiff, nice booklet and very nice overall presentation. The clamp is substantial and the pads seem Very hard? I guess they will break in.

I just spent a week or ten days testing a new amp out and today I am having a Koss day. I will try these out tomorrow. I am Very curious about the sound at this price.:L3000:

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #13,653 of 15,268
Got mine today. Pretty quick. Minneapolis to Nova Scotia. Left on Friday, delivered on Wednesday by UPS. To taxes or fees due on delivery so that was cool!
Total landed cost in town is $171.57 (Canuck Bucks). I paid more than that for ATH-M50X's several years ago.:slight_smile:

I opened the box and checked it out. Nice looking 'phones, cable isn't super stiff, nice booklet and very nice overall presentation. The clamp is substantial and the pads seem Very hard? I guess they will break in.

I just spent a week or ten days testing a new amp out and today I am having a Koss day. I will try these out tomorrow. I am Very curious about the sound at this price.:L3000:

Shane D

Pads should not be hard at all, they are memory foam according to Zeos reviews...

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #13,654 of 15,268
Pads should not be hard at all, they are memory foam according to Zeos reviews...

Maybe just because they were in the truck all day. Felt pretty firm when I pushed on them. Felt fine one my head for two minutes. I will try them out tomorrow in a listening session.

Memory foam does feel harder than just sponge. My memory foam pillow has much more density than cheap pillows.

Shane D

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #13,655 of 15,268
How do these sound with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt?

Worth it, or should I be looking at something else?

The original X2s were my first really serious headphone. At the time I had 1 amp, the FiiO e10K DAC/amp. The X2s sounded great on the FiiO...I was very happy w/that sound. Then I got my first serious amp, the Lake People G109-A (w/4-5X the power, a serious power supply, etc). I paired that with my then main system DAC, the nice sounding Peachtree Audio DAC iTx. 1st time I heard the X2s on that combo, I was bowled over the sound. Everything was bigger, better, more nuanced--way better sound.

I now have a number of other amps, and get very interesting/meaningful differences in sound w/the X2s on each one. All to say this headphone definitely scales up w/better quality source & higher power. It may be inexpensive, bassy (in a good way) and somewhat warm (again, in a good way), but IMO this is hardly a one-trick pony design.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #13,656 of 15,268
amps do make a big difference. my X-2HR just arrived about 1 hour ago. super super comfortable... these earpads are way better than the old versions... i had x1 and x2 before bought used and sold used... this is def an upgrade over both in terms of comfort. i have not listened yet... just initial impressions of putting them on my head. pads feel amazing... feels snug but not super tight like HD58X does (though i kind of like the hugging feeling of the HD58X)...

sound tests will be done this weekend, i quite busy next few days.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #13,657 of 15,268
I am looking forward to trying these out for a few hours in the morning with different amps. I will probably try two of my favourites, the Vali 2 and the Liquid Platinum.
I will post up tomorrow.

Shane D

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #13,658 of 15,268
X2s on a LP. What a great match that will be (my prediction).

One of my favorite amps is the inexpensive & compact Liquid Carbon v2. It errs on the warm side (in a very pleasing way), also tends to bring out bass quality/texture. The X2s shouldn't have worked at all on the LC--but I got one of the best sounds ever with that combination. Sometimes there's synergy you'd never expect...

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #13,659 of 15,268
I got mine today too, I wouldn't say they feel hard, but they feel kind of stiff initially and much stiffer than I expected. The weight is pretty noticiable too when you put them on, but then after several minutes/half an hour it starts to feel better and as if you weren't wearing them at all, I guess that is because the pads slowly re-form.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #13,660 of 15,268
I got mine today too, and using them at the moment off my built in motherboard sound. It’s pretty bad. They are pretty comfy, although the pads are a tad stiff. My ears are warm after less than an hour. The sound is ok so far, but I definitely need an amp!

Any recommendations?

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #13,661 of 15,268
I got mine today too, and using them at the moment off my built in motherboard sound. It’s pretty bad. They are pretty comfy, although the pads are a tad stiff. My ears are warm after less than an hour. The sound is ok so far, but I definitely need an amp!

Any recommendations?

Portable amp, desktop amp, Bluetooth?

I’ve used the X2 with my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, FiiO A5, and Radsone ES100. It worked great with all 3.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #13,662 of 15,268
Portable amp, desktop amp, Bluetooth?

I’ve used the X2 with my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, FiiO A5, and Radsone ES100. It worked great with all 3.

Well, I'll be using these mostly for gaming from my PC so I guess a desktop amp. I'm somewhat intrigued by the AQ DragonFly Cobalt, but not sure I want a true portable at this point.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #13,663 of 15,268
Well, I'll be using these mostly for gaming from my PC so I guess a desktop amp. I'm somewhat intrigued by the AQ DragonFly Cobalt, but not sure I want a true portable at this point.

Gotcha. Unfortunately I can’t really help there. I’m pretty much all portable these days.

I’ve never been one of those USB DAC on a PC type guys. Looking back though, I should have been all over it like white on rice, as I was chained to a cubicle for 20 years in IT.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #13,664 of 15,268

Any recommendations?

it really depends on your budget. best bang for buck right now is a Schiit Magni 3 at $59 direct from schiit website, or you can do the Magni3+ for $99. if your budget is $200, I'd say Asgard 3. im not a schiit fanboy, I just think you get a lot better bang for your buck on overall quality, not just in sound but in quality of components and sound.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #13,665 of 15,268

Any recommendations?

Assuming you somehow how the DAC covered, my recommendation would be Monoprice's Liquid Spark (see review below). I haven't heard it, but the designer, Alex Cavelli, totally knows what he's doing. I own & love his Liquid Carbon v2, the small & fine-sounding budget SS amp he designed while still in charge of Cavalli Audio.

The Spark has plenty of power for the X2s...even for planars. I'd put my $110 into this before anything else at that price...

https://www.cnet.com/news/monoprices-two-spectacular-desktop-headphone-amps/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

Users who are viewing this thread

Back