Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #13,681 of 15,268
Hmm? JDS Labs Atom is made in USA.

ah didn't know that. still it's cheap plastic. I'd rather have the cold rolled steel black/red theme of the Heresy which is also made in USA and same price, especially when sound is going to be about the same.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #13,682 of 15,268
been listening all night. very impressed with these. extremely comfortable, clarity of vocals is fantastic. def v-shaped. bass is soooo good on my asgard 2 and modi 3. doesn't feel/sound muddy to me

still lot of testing to go, but for $99 these are a keeper for me. the comfort alone just fits my head perfect. we all have diff shaped heads though so YMMV

another quick update: I'm leaning towards keeping these and selling my HD58X... they are def very diff sound signatures... I love my HD58X... but I don't know, I just really like the way these present music, plus it just feels more comfy on my particular head shape.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #13,683 of 15,268
been listening all night. very impressed with these. extremely comfortable, clarity of vocals is fantastic. def v-shaped. bass is soooo good on my asgard 2 and modi 3. doesn't feel/sound muddy to me

still lot of testing to go, but for $99 these are a keeper for me. the comfort alone just fits my head perfect. we all have diff shaped heads though so YMMV

another quick update: I'm leaning towards keeping these and selling my HD58X... they are def very diff sound signatures... I love my HD58X... but I don't know, I just really like the way these present music, plus it just feels more comfy on my particular head shape.

You and I are having a similar, but very different experience.:smile:

I am early in testing, but the X2's are not impressing me. Tomorrow I will do a head to head with the HD58X's, but as I sit here, I think the Senns are going to win out. My used HD58X's were just a few bucks more than the new X2HR's.

I have adjusted to the X2 sound, but nothing is jumping out at me. Not especially clear and not a ton of bass compared to my Senns or Meze 99's.

I will keep going with them for another week and see where it comes out. They are a good deal, for the price.

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #13,684 of 15,268

I am early in mesting, but the X2's are impressing me. Tomorrow I will do a head to head with the HD58X's, but as I sit here, I think the Senns are going to win out. My used HD58X's are just. Few buck more than the new X2HR's.

I have adjusted to the X2 sound, but nothing is jumping out at me. Not especially clear and not a ton of bass compared to my Senns or Meze 99's.

I will keep going with them for another week and see where it comes out. They are a good deal, for the price.

Shane D

keep in mind I heard two different HD58X side by side before, and they noticeably sounded different to me. so every headphone imo is YMMV, also a lot of it has to do with synergy with amps/dac's. there are so many variables involved when it comes to matching a synergized system, sometimes a headphone can sound completely different just because of the amp.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #13,685 of 15,268
keep in mind I heard two different HD58X side by side before, and they noticeably sounded different to me. so every headphone imo is YMMV, also a lot of it has to do with synergy with amps/dac's. there are so many variables involved when it comes to matching a synergized system, sometimes a headphone can sound completely different just because of the amp.

Agreed. I got another shelving unit today and so I reorganized and took some pics. I also left two headphones out. I will run the X2's and the Senns though their paces tomorrow with the Vali 2 and the Liquid Spark.

Shane D

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #13,686 of 15,268

I am early in testing, but the X2's are not impressing me. Tomorrow I will do a head to head with the HD58X's, but as I sit here, I think the Senns are going to win out. My used HD58X's were just a few bucks more than the new X2HR's.

Shane D

This has me scratching my head… I have both the X2 and 58x and the X2 easily wins the bass-off. Both quantity and quality (although to a lesser extent).

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #13,687 of 15,268
This has me scratching my head… I have both the X2 and 58x and the X2 easily wins the bass-off. Both quantity and quality (although to a lesser extent).

I had the X2's on for a few hours today with the Liquid Spark. Nothing jumped out at me.

Tomorrow I will compare them head to head. Same amp, same music.

Shane D

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #13,688 of 15,268
Hi guys,
I haven't written anything in the forum for a long time. This week I bought "X2" again the X2 taking advantage of an irreproachable offer from Amazon France for € 99.
I say "again" because my first "hifi" headphones were the X2 but now I bought the X2HR. I do not know if from my long experience with many headphones and now I appreciate its sound better or because the HR are tuned, but now they sound a lot better than the first X2 or at least that is my current appreciation. I find them less in "V" than the X2, more balanced. The voices are not as far back as before and the most refined treble giving a lot of information but without annoying spikes as before
I have the HD 58X Jubilee here and I honestly believe that HR is more complete.

Sorry for my English, I hope you can understand my message.

Greetings to all.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #13,689 of 15,268

Had to take to take the cat for a quick vet visit today. As soon as I got home, I got to testing. All testing was done on ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC to Liquid Spark amp. Feeding either brand new X2HR's or well used Senn HD58X's.

First off was Florence and the Machine - Leave my Body = HD58X by a mile. End of story, I am right!
Secondly it was various Grandson = X2HR sounded much punchier. What?
X Ambassadors/Jamie n Common - various = HD58X by a bit. Yes sir I am right!!
Incubus - various = X2HR's by at least a bit. What????

I then went into various Steely Dan and 70's classic rock looking for anything bassy. I really couldn't tell a difference. After a couple of hours it was "just flip a coin". I did volume match for the first several songs and then I just started going by feel. The Senns area bit harder to drive, but not by much. The knob difference is like 10:00 and 10:23.

I must admit that I am surprised at how close it was. I started the day out thinking the X2's were history but I kept an open mind and they have proven their worth so far.:L3000:

Tomorrow I will try the same test with my SMSL SP200. IMO, this amp does no headphones any favours, so this will be interesting.

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #13,690 of 15,268
Had to take to take the cat for a quick vet visit today. As soon as I got home, I got to testing. All testing was done on ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC to Liquid Spark amp. Feeding either brand new X2HR's or well used Senn HD58X's.

First off was Florence and the Machine - Leave my Body = HD58X by a mile. End of story, I am right!
Secondly it was various Grandson = X2HR sounded much punchier. What?
X Ambassadors/Jamie n Common - various = HD58X by a bit. Yes sir I am right!!
Incubus - various = X2HR's by at least a bit. What????

I then went into various Steely Dan and 70's classic rock looking for anything bassy. I really couldn't tell a difference. After a couple of hours it was "just flip a coin". I did volume match for the first several songs and then I just started going by feel. The Senns area bit harder to drive, but not by much. The knob difference is like 10:00 and 10:23.

I must admit that I am surprised at how close it was. I started the day out thinking the X2's were history but I kept an open mind and they have proven their worth so far.:L3000:

Tomorrow I will try the same test with my SMSL SP200. IMO, this amp does no headphones any favours, so this will be interesting.

Shane D
I pretty much do all my HP listening on my Vali2 - if you want to try to get as close to as what I'm hearing.
Maybe the X2HR are tuned a bit different from the X2 after all?

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #13,691 of 15,268
I pretty much do all my HP listening on my Vali2 - if you want to try to get as close to as what I'm hearing.
Maybe the X2HR are tuned a bit different from the X2 after all?

I am a big believer in "we all hear differently". I actually had the Vali 2 on, but never used it.

I like the Senns as an all round, entry level headphone. I also bought an XLR cable at the same time so they give me more flexibility. I suspect that whichever one I keep, it will be replaced by my eventual purchase of the Elex's in 2020.

I will keep this comparison going for at least a week.

Next up, I think I want to compare the Liquid Spark to the SE line on the LCX.

Shane D

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #13,692 of 15,268
I am a big believer in "we all hear differently". I actually had the Vali 2 on, but never used it.

Shane D

That's all cool, I'm in the same camp. Just watch out who you say that around… you could start a riot in some threads spouting such heresy:wink:

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #13,693 of 15,268
That's all cool, I'm in the same camp. Just watch out who you say that around… you could start a riot in some threads spouting such heresy:wink:

You should see the reactions I get when I say I don't like the HD6XX's and state I am no audiophile. You can hear the pitchforks clanging together.:yum:

Shane D

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #13,694 of 15,268
FYI A LOT OF THE X2HR'S HAVE A DEFECT - both speakers should be pointed towards your ears when the headphone is on, and they are shipping with the left one pointed away. just take screwdriver and rotate 180 degrees to match other side. zeos has details on his community thread, thats where i sourced the picture

kpktJ1U.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back