Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #13,486 of 15,268
Don't expect them to come back in stock, AFAIK the Fidelio line died when Gibson declared bankruptcy.

There was some good news on this front back in January:

https://www.techradar.com/news/philips-returns-to-audio-with-upbeat-shb2505-true-wireless-earphones

"Philips has been out of the audio game for a little while, but 2019 will see it thundering back into the personal and home sound system spaces with a mix of resurrected lines and all-new devices. [...] Philips will have a full range of audio products that will include Bluetooth speakers, home systems, clocks, CD players, portable radios, sound bars, and headphones, including the reintroduction of the well-received Fidelio X2HR over ears."​

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #13,487 of 15,268
There was some good news on this front back in January:

https://www.techradar.com/news/philips-returns-to-audio-with-upbeat-shb2505-true-wireless-earphones

"Philips has been out of the audio game for a little while, but 2019 will see it thundering back into the personal and home sound system spaces with a mix of resurrected lines and all-new devices. [...] Philips will have a full range of audio products that will include Bluetooth speakers, home systems, clocks, CD players, portable radios, sound bars, and headphones, including the reintroduction of the well-received Fidelio X2HR over ears."​
Thanks for that, the best bit I think at the bottom:

"Philips will have a full range of audio products that will include Bluetooth speakers, home systems, clocks, CD players, portable radios, sound bars, and headphones, including the reintroduction of the well-received Fidelio X2HR over ears."

I think I've made some improvement to my previous EQ already. Here we go again, I think this provides a slightly more lively midrange:

Freq, Q, Gain
30, 1, 2.5
250, 0.6, 1
1200, 1.2, 3
3200, 1.6, 4
6000, 4.0, 2
9100, 8, -3

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #13,489 of 15,268
I'd love it if someone would try out my parametric EQ settings above and provide some feedback. I've been listening all day today while I work on spreadsheets for work, very happy where things are at. Its not flat, its lively and balanced towards heavy, without the sizzle. Is this not the right place to share/discuss EQ?

I'd also point out that if I take the AutoEQ settings for this headphone, and cut all the gain values in half, it's not bad either. A little more towards flat, without sounding lifeless.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #13,490 of 15,268
I'd love it if someone would try out my parametric EQ settings above and provide some feedback. I've been listening all day today while I work on spreadsheets for work, very happy where things are at. Its not flat, its lively and balanced towards heavy, without the sizzle. Is this not the right place to share/discuss EQ?

I'd also point out that if I take the AutoEQ settings for this headphone, and cut all the gain values in half, it's not bad either. A little more towards flat, without sounding lifeless.

Sure friend, thanks for sharing your EQ settings.

I’ll check your EQ profile out on the X2 and let you know what I think.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #13,491 of 15,268
Refined EQ after a few more days :wink:

I think this one might be my last revision. I've changed the filters at the top end to better the treble, and better compensation for that sharp sibilant sound around 9kHz. Slight change to the low end as well that won't be obvious in most songs.

Freq, Q, Gain
30, 1.4, 4
250, 0.6, 1
1200, 1.2, 3
3200, 1.6, 4
6000, 3, 4
9300, 5, -3

Happy Easter, enjoy!

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #13,492 of 15,268
Refined EQ after a few more days :wink:

I think this one might be my last revision. I've changed the filters at the top end to better the treble, and better compensation for that sharp sibilant sound around 9kHz. Slight change to the low end as well that won't be obvious in most songs.

Freq, Q, Gain
30, 1.4, 4
250, 0.6, 1
1200, 1.2, 3
3200, 1.6, 4
6000, 3, 4
9300, 5, -3

Happy Easter, enjoy!
I dig this EQ! I had sort of drifted to the Innerfidelity-measured AutoEQ, with the top half of the sliders cut about in half, as you mentioned, but I like yours better!

On another note, I just can't upgrade this headphone! I've had upgraditis since about the new year, and I've tried the AudioQuest NightOwl, Denon D5200, and most recently Focal Elear. The first two went back pretty quickly, but I was almost sure I'd found an upgrade in the Elear. Two days til my return window is up, I decided to throw the X2s back on for the first time in almost a month, and in all honesty I think they're 90% as good as the Elears in almost every way, and even better in soundstage.

I also went to a high end audio shop (Upscale Audio east of LA), and tried a bunch of the ZMFs. Now, those DO sound better (the Auteur was my favorite of those I tried), but in no way are they enough better to justify the additional cost (obviously just imo).

At this point I think I'll end up with the X2 forever :)

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #13,493 of 15,268
I dig this EQ! I had sort of drifted to the Innerfidelity-measured AutoEQ, with the top half of the sliders cut about in half, as you mentioned, but I like yours better!

On another note, I just can't upgrade this headphone! I've had upgraditis since about the new year, and I've tried the AudioQuest NightOwl, Denon D5200, and most recently Focal Elear. The first two went back pretty quickly, but I was almost sure I'd found an upgrade in the Elear. Two days til my return window is up, I decided to throw the X2s back on for the first time in almost a month, and in all honesty I think they're 90% as good as the Elears in almost every way, and even better in soundstage.

I also went to a high end audio shop (Upscale Audio east of LA), and tried a bunch of the ZMFs. Now, those DO sound better (the Auteur was my favorite of those I tried), but in no way are they enough better to justify the additional cost (obviously just imo).

Hey, glad to hear that you gave it a try and are enjoying my tuning. I think the X2 has a lot of great qualities, and would be a complete knock-out if the sharp treble was taken care of from the factory. It's extraordinarily comfortable, looks great, is well made, etc. I think a lot of people end up buying new headphones to chase a different sound, when all they really need is a little fine tuned EQ on the pair they already have.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #13,494 of 15,268

The X2s were my first really satisfactory HP (love them to this day). I had an Elear here on extended loaner twice, once w/stock pads, 2nd time w/aftermarket pads that helped the comfort area, also reduced some of that relentless/overly dynamic thing the Elear does (it's the most insistent, "Listen to ME!!" HP I ever heard...migraine-inducing). IMO what the X2s give up to the Elear in "technicalities" they more than make up for in relaxed, organic, musical quality.

I've gotten some amazing, near-TOTL headphones in recent years. But to this day, the X2s are the only one I can listen to with a headache (and still enjoy).

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #13,495 of 15,268
X2 has bass that is similar to planar bass, and has extended high that is inherently good to dynamic driver.
I like X2 that has advantages of both worlds.

May 21, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #13,498 of 15,268
I bought a X2HR and it came in this version (MMD HK HOLDING LTD.) can be fake?

x2_zps7642hbkb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back