Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #13,471 of 15,268
Just make sure to keep the box, and all accessories, and in original non modified state :wink:

Haha, that clip was rich! That’s exactly what I was envisioning :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #13,472 of 15,268
I find the pair of x2's I have are excellent, with very find build quality. I have had no problem with them at all. They have been flawless.

I hope so much the next pair I order don't have any issues, as I love the sound in general.
I bought a different pair that I read had some similar characteristics in the Crossfade M-100. But while I enjoy the bass, it just doesn't have the clarity/detail in the mids or soundstage that I enjoyed with the X2.

@Pharmaboy - also a long time tinnitus sufferer here, I feel your pain!

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #13,473 of 15,268
After having sold my Fidelio X2 HR because I have bought a Kennerton Vali, I missed the X2 tremendously : incredibly comfortable (even Amiron is not as comfortable), wide soundstage, musical and engaging sound.

So I decided to re-buy the X2 again : I just received it, it’s like I have find a good old friend !

Don’t get me wrong, the Vali is a great headphone (as it does at 1200 EUR) but the comfort is bad and soundstage not as wide as X2 (depth however is better).

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #13,474 of 15,268
After having sold my Fidelio X2 HR because I have bought a Kennerton Vali, I missed the X2 tremendously : incredibly comfortable (even Amiron is not as comfortable), wide soundstage, musical and engaging sound.

So I decided to re-buy the X2 again : I just received it, it’s like I have find a good old friend !

Don’t get me wrong, the Vali is a great headphone (as it does at 1200 EUR) but the comfort is bad and soundstage not as wide as X2 (depth however is better).

Agreed, it’s like an old friend. I’ll never sell my X2, as it puts a smile on my face every time I use it. You’d have to pry it from my cold dead hands lol

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #13,476 of 15,268
Agreed, it’s like an old friend. I’ll never sell my X2, as it puts a smile on my face every time I use it. You’d have to pry it from my cold dead hands lol
Agree with you both. I am thinking about supergluing mine to my head this coming weekend. That way nobody can take them from me. Haha. Going strong and faithful since October 2014 and appreciate what they bring to the table every listen. Even sound great out of my ES100.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #13,478 of 15,268
I agree also I will always have a soft spot for my X2's

tumblr_mv14hnEu5m1s2je29o1_250.gif
?

Oops wrong gif!......................................
Workout+animals.gif

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #13,479 of 15,268
It's time for me to apologise. When I got these I tried them with all that I had AMP wise and they sounded like crap an so, I judged them. I'm sorry, I was wrong. Recently opened my box of lost hopes and dreams. Pulled out my X2's plugged them into my HA-1, which I didn't have when I got the X2's... Now! Now, I can see why people like them.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #13,480 of 15,268
It's time for me to apologise. When I got these I tried them with all that I had AMP wise and they sounded like **** an so, I judged them. I'm sorry, I was wrong. Recently opened my box of lost hopes and dreams. Pulled out my X2's plugged them into my HA-1, which I didn't have when I got the X2's... Now! Now, I can see why people like them.

Also with Mojo the pairing is quite good, sound is solid and clean with nice separation

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #13,482 of 15,268
Hi all, just wanted to post my thoughts on the X2 (X2HR really). I believe these have been officially discontinued, and the last of them (I think) were recently sold on Newegg.ca for the low price of CAD$140. I couldn't resist, having been eyeballing them for a few years.

What I have to compare with these is the M&D MH40 and Sennheiser Momentum (over ear, v1). They look great, and the fit is extraordinarily comfortable, I've been wearing them for days without any strain, so big points there. As for the sound, they are good, but ultimately there is something missing in the midrange, and the worst part is a peak in the treble that makes them sound a bit tizzy, a bit sibilant especially in female vocals. The bass as lifted as you probably know, but it's quite pleasant actually. What is missing IMO is a bit of lift as well is the low midrange, 250Hzish to make them sound fuller.

As a comparison to my other headphones, ultimately I don't use the Momentum much, I find the headband uncomfortable, so I won't comment on those. The MH40 is better but for something that heavy they really failed using a headband without padding. I also like the MH40 sound better than the Momentums, a lot. They're not neutral, but the emphasis they provide is not offensive or distracting, it's fun. The MH40 isn't offensive in the high end like the X2, but I feel the X2 is more clear overall. I'm not good at describing sound so I'll stop there.

I'll be 99% using these at my computer, so I decided to fix them, with EQ. It was easy to nail down the peak at 9kHz, immediately it is improved, I tried to look up if anyone online had some EQ settings to start with, and found this "AutoEQ" thing. Tried the parametric EQ settings, yuck. Sucked all the life out of the bass, and added a huge peak at 6kHz that made them sound like a tin can. But I can at least observe the settings and take the good bits out and improve ton them.

So here's where I am settled after a couple days of heavy listening and playing with EQ settings. Thought I would share for other X2 users to try. First, I provide a bit of lift at 250Hz to complement the natural bass lift. I apply a bit of wiggle at 1-2kHz range to help out there, and then a lift a 3.4kHz to fix the recessed midrange. I provide a subtle lift at 6kHz and a cut at 9kHz to fix the treble. This was determined by observing measurements, and the autoEQ settings, then using my ears. You're preference may vary.

Freq, Q, Gain
1550,1.8,-2
9000,5,-3

When applying this EQ, I suggest dropping the overall system gain to about -3dB to prevent clipping. Enjoy!

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #13,483 of 15,268
Hi all, just wanted to post my thoughts on the X2 (X2HR really). I believe these have been officially discontinued, and the last of them (I think) were recently sold on Newegg.ca for the low price of CAD$140. I couldn't resist, having been eyeballing them for a few years.

What I have to compare with these is the M&D MH40 and Sennheiser Momentum (over ear, v1). They look great, and the fit is extraordinarily comfortable, I've been wearing them for days without any strain, so big points there. As for the sound, they are good, but ultimately there is something missing in the midrange, and the worst part is a peak in the treble that makes them sound a bit tizzy, a bit sibilant especially in female vocals. The bass as lifted as you probably know, but it's quite pleasant actually. What is missing IMO is a bit of lift as well is the low midrange, 250Hzish to make them sound fuller.

As a comparison to my other headphones, ultimately I don't use the Momentum much, I find the headband uncomfortable, so I won't comment on those. The MH40 is better but for something that heavy they really failed using a headband without padding. I also like the MH40 sound better than the Momentums, a lot. They're not neutral, but the emphasis they provide is not offensive or distracting, it's fun. The MH40 isn't offensive in the high end like the X2, but I feel the X2 is more clear overall. I'm not good at describing sound so I'll stop there.

I'll be 99% using these at my computer, so I decided to fix them, with EQ. It was easy to nail down the peak at 9kHz, immediately it is improved, I tried to look up if anyone online had some EQ settings to start with, and found this "AutoEQ" thing. Tried the parametric EQ settings, yuck. Sucked all the life out of the bass, and added a huge peak at 6kHz that made them sound like a tin can. But I can at least observe the settings and take the good bits out and improve ton them.

So here's where I am settled after a couple days of heavy listening and playing with EQ settings. Thought I would share for other X2 users to try. First, I provide a bit of lift at 250Hz to complement the natural bass lift. I apply a bit of wiggle at 1-2kHz range to help out there, and then a lift a 3.4kHz to fix the recessed midrange. I provide a subtle lift at 6kHz and a cut at 9kHz to fix the treble. This was determined by observing measurements, and the autoEQ settings, then using my ears. You're preference may vary.

Freq, Q, Gain
1550,1.8,-2
9000,5,-3

When applying this EQ, I suggest dropping the overall system gain to about -3dB to prevent clipping. Enjoy!

When the heck were these on Newegg.ca for $140?(currently out of stock @ $269CAD) I've only ever heard about a sale on the US site. I would've totally got a backup pair for that price

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #13,484 of 15,268
Just my 2 cents here :) So i bought the Fidelio's X2 more or less 2 years ago ... i always loved them but ... recently i decided upgrading from a Soundblaster ZxR to a Burson Playmate with V6 Vivid's and Classic Opamps... and even though i know they don't need an amp to run well... damn ... these headphones are so fun and make us smile.

I was thinking of getting an upgrade like DT1990Pro's or something but ... i mean ... i just love these so, decided going for a upgrade path for amp+speakers ( i still prefer speakers to headphones, but at night i always use headphones ).

Give us Fidelio X3s :)

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #13,485 of 15,268
When the heck were these on Newegg.ca for $140?(currently out of stock @ $269CAD) I've only ever heard about a sale on the US site. I would've totally got a backup pair for that price

I guess a couple weeks back now...they didn't last long. Don't expect them to come back in stock, AFAIK the Fidelio line died when Gibson declared bankruptcy.

I think my EQ setting could still be tweaked a bit, but the biggest change is simply to add a notch at 9kHz, that alone takes the edge off making them much more enjoyable. I may post a new EQ setting in a few days if I decide to make further changes, if anyone cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back