Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #12,992 of 15,268
Thank you very much. Not just well enough, for the first time the pads aren't rolling. Later tonight when the family fall to sleep i will try my new X2.!!!! Thanks again

Glad to help friend. Let us know how it works out!

BTW, I know what you mean by having to wait until the family falls asleep to do audio stuff. I’ve done some of my best work as a night owl LOL

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #12,993 of 15,268
So i bought fidelio x2hr and loving the sound. One thing though, when I press the headphones on my head the sound becomes louder and bass stronger. More full I think.
I heard its because the hr version uses puffier pads so the driver is like one inch further from head.
Anyone know where to buy older pads?
Maybe someone can check out their non hr version, press them againts head and see if sound changes..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #12,994 of 15,268
So i bought fidelio x2hr and loving the sound. One thing though, when I press the headphones on my head the sound becomes louder and bass stronger. More full I think.
I heard its because the hr version uses puffier pads so the driver is like one inch further from head.
Anyone know where to buy older pads?
Maybe someone can check out their non hr version, press them againts head and see if sound changes..

There are no replacement pads compatible with the X2 system, 'course you can just put pads over the whole thing
I do have a Woox pair lying around though, gathering dust, haven't gotten around to selling them.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #12,998 of 15,268
What is this "HR" people keep attaching to the model name? I bought a used X2 here on Head-Fi last year, and I had not seen anything about "HR" anywhere.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #12,999 of 15,268
What is this "HR" people keep attaching to the model name? I bought a used X2 here on Head-Fi last year, and I had not seen anything about "HR" anywhere.
The latest "version"of the x2 says HIGH RESOLUTION on the back of the earcups .All previous x2s had HIGH DEFINITION printed on the earcups.Also, the newer x2s have X2 HR printed on the lower left corner of the box; as well as on the upper left corner on the Philips label. Previously it just said X2.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #13,000 of 15,268
The latest "version"of the x2 says HIGH RESOLUTION on the back of the earcups .All previous x2s had HIGH DEFINITION printed on the earcups.Also, the newer x2s have X2 HR printed on the lower left corner of the box; as well as on the upper left corner on the Philips label. Previously it just said X2.

Is there an actual difference in performance or sound signature?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #13,001 of 15,268
That, I don't know. I haven't heard an x2 HR. Somewhere on this thread, I seem to recall, someone said the headband and the earcups had been ever so slightly modified. I don't know if that would make any difference to the sound. Nothing else has been changed.
My guess is, and this is just a guess, that the sound signature hasn't changed.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #13,002 of 15,268
That, I don't know. I haven't heard an x2 HR. Somewhere on this thread, I seem to recall, someone said the headband and the earcups had been ever so slightly modified. I don't know if that would make any difference to the sound. Nothing else has been changed.
My guess is, and this is just a guess, that the sound signature hasn't changed.
In my previous post I meant to say " the earpads" not " the earcups".

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #13,003 of 15,268

I've never heard the HR version of this headphone (I have an original pair & love them)...but have read verious posts here saying that the earpads on the HR version are slightly deeper, and the upper midrange & highs are slightly elevated (vs original design) as a result.

BTW, had a typical "X2 conversion experience" the other night. Plugged into my Lake People G109-A running off DAC-19 and started listening. It had been several weeks since I first heard the X2s. Was playing some blues...thought to myself, "hmmm, the upper bass seems somewhat elevated." Forgot about that & just listened. 20" later I'm deep in this blues groove and think to myself, "Damn, I love that elevated upper bass!"

This is what the X2s do for me--help me forget whatever I know about headphone audio & just hear the music

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #13,004 of 15,268
So after owning my X2s for about 2.5 years I've finally decided to look for some replacement pads. Obviously there are no options unless you can find the original for some dumb price. AliExpress to the rescue! I've ordered THESE angled faux leather pads supposedly made to work with HM5s and they are dirt cheap. I paid £3 with shipping. They arrived today (took 18 days to arrive) and after a good hour or so of stretching the rim and then massaging them onto the cups I got them on... the wrong way around... so I had to do that all again. This time it took a lot less time since I knew how to approach it and they were stretched now. As you can see in one of the photos (link below) I got a small tear on the lip but that is all.

UPLGs7u.jpg

So despite the fact that they are oval they still fit perfectly as you can see in the photos. The material is very soft. In one of the reviews on AliExpress someone opened them up and it seems like there are 2 types of foam inside (I added the photo to the gallery below). To me it feels like there is some kind of softer/memory foam against your ear and just regular foam for the rest. They are very comfortable! I wear glasses and they don't apply too much pressure at all. Definitely seal around the back better than the original pads. I expected them to make the cups sit at an angle since they are angled pads but it just feels like the angle fills in more around the back of my head and doesn't really affect the angle they sit on your head compared to original. I pierced a hole in the pad lip so that I could fit the cable and it turned out really clean. Just used a really small flat head screwdriver to poke a hole through then slowly worked out a wider hole.

I won't comment too much on the sound but it definitely sounds different. I'll post an update after a few days just to give them a solid listen. I'll see how much they heat up my ears/head too.

If you are looking for replacement pads then there is no reason to not try these especially at such a low price and even if you tear them or don't like them it won't be a big loss.

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/9hOFV

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the pins that hold the original pads aren't an issue. These pads cover them and you can't feel them through the pads at all. Since the pads are thicker my ears are away from the driver unlike with the original pads where they would touch a little. Overall they look really good on the headphones; I don't think the photos quite do it justice.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #13,005 of 15,268
So after owning my X2s for about 2.5 years I've finally decided to look for some replacement pads. Obviously there are no options unless you can find the original for some dumb price. AliExpress to the rescue! I've ordered THESE angled faux leather pads supposedly made to work with HM5s and they are dirt cheap. I paid £3 with shipping. They arrived today (took 18 days to arrive) and after a good hour or so of stretching the rim and then massaging them onto the cups I got them on... the wrong way around... so I had to do that all again. This time it took a lot less time since I knew how to approach it and they were stretched now. As you can see in one of the photos (link below) I got a small tear on the lip but that is all.

UPLGs7u.jpg

So despite the fact that they are oval they still fit perfectly as you can see in the photos. The material is very soft. In one of the reviews on AliExpress someone opened them up and it seems like there are 2 types of foam inside (I added the photo to the gallery below). To me it feels like there is some kind of softer/memory foam against your ear and just regular foam for the rest. They are very comfortable! I wear glasses and they don't apply too much pressure at all. Definitely seal around the back better than the original pads. I expected them to make the cups sit at an angle since they are angled pads but it just feels like the angle fills in more around the back of my head and doesn't really affect the angle they sit on your head compared to original. I pierced a hole in the pad lip so that I could fit the cable and it turned out really clean. Just used a really small flat head screwdriver to poke a hole through then slowly worked out a wider hole.

I won't comment too much on the sound but it definitely sounds different. I'll post an update after a few days just to give them a solid listen. I'll see how much they heat up my ears/head too.

If you are looking for replacement pads then there is no reason to not try these especially at such a low price and even if you tear them or don't like them it won't be a big loss.

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/9hOFV

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the pins that hold the original pads aren't an issue. These pads cover them and you can't feel them through the pads at all. Since the pads are thicker my ears are away from the driver unlike with the original pads where they would touch a little. Overall they look really good on the headphones; I don't think the photos quite do it justice.

How do they sound w/new pads vs originals?

I did a very similar pad-rolling experiment w/my X2s late last year, using Brainwavz Round pleather pads (similar to these, but not angled). The sound changed quite a big, mostly in good ways. I ended up preferring stock pads so returned to them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back