Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #13,021 of 15,268
Hey all,
Anyone here with the X2 have their headband partially break? I have a metal wire sticking out which just snapped the other day while I was using it. Really odd. I did a quick search with some key words but nothing relevant came up so I figured I would ask. The cups still work fine but my headband is now messed up and since it's one month past it's warranty date, I got not love from Philips. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any instructions on taking these things apart (specifically the headband)? Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hey
How did you broke it?
Does it will be in future for all Fidelio x2?
I worry about quality and try to know how long I can use Fidelio x2 without problems

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #13,022 of 15,268
.... Works for me since most of the music I listen to is EDM. I'll need to go through my playlists with other genres and see what changed the most.

Please continue to share your impressions with EDM tracks since I’m interested in the same genre and these headphones. See if you can conclude if its worth the effort in swapping pads for improving EDM.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #13,023 of 15,268
Hey
How did you broke it?
Does it will be in future for all Fidelio x2?
I worry about quality and try to know how long I can use Fidelio x2 without problems
sorry for the late response. I was on vacation in Japan and just came back. It broke one day while it was on my head. I felt a snap while I was listening to music.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #13,024 of 15,268
which headphone could be considered a straight upgrade, that does soundstage depth and imaging even better than the x2 without lossing bassquantity at least in the subbass area?

my lcd2f compared to the x2 has NO soundstage at all and zero bass impact. yes, it can go down low, but without any authority. so i need something else, besting the x2, but i cannot find such a big soundstage complimented by subbass emphasis in higher end cans.

could you give an advice for up to 1.500$?

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #13,026 of 15,268
which headphone could be considered a straight upgrade, that does soundstage depth and imaging even better than the x2 without lossing bassquantity at least in the subbass area?

my lcd2f compared to the x2 has NO soundstage at all and zero bass impact. yes, it can go down low, but without any authority. so i need something else, besting the x2, but i cannot find such a big soundstage complimented by subbass emphasis in higher end cans.

could you give an advice for up to 1.500$?

Dude, if you want crazy bass with an almost X2 wide soundstage (and WAY deeper), try the Klipsch HP-3. It's only $1080 since you can get a 10% coupon code on many sites that sell it.

Better mids and clarity as well, and better for gaming. Just be warned: It's V shaped, but since you like the X2 I imagine that won't be a problem. Also, the X2 is mid bass heavy, not sub bass. HP-3 has insane sub bass.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #13,027 of 15,268
Presently I’m really enjoying listening to music just using my iPad Air and easy to drive Fidelio X2.
I’m surprised how well these giant cans work straight with an iPad and no additional amp/DAC. They are also surprisingly comfortable for long late night listening considering they are quite bulky in size.

Even Spotify sounds fantastic and I don’t feel I’m missing too much from not listening to my 24/96+ hi res music stored on the NAS.

Now that I’m having such a good time I have started to wonder if I can achieve more using a portable device such as dragonfly/soundkey. I already have a decent mini audio m-dac headphone amp that gently improves sound by tightening the bass, bigger soundstage and improved clarity but it’s not exactly portable.

Anyone have the experience to describe the audio improvemnts I can expect from using the soundkey/dragonfly with an iPad ? I’m hoping the audio improvements are discernible in areas of soundsatage, bass and separation.

I prefer slightly warmer sound than over analytical and cold.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #13,028 of 15,268
Presently I’m really enjoying listening to music just using my iPad Air and easy to drive Fidelio X2.
I’m surprised how well these giant cans work straight with an iPad and no additional amp/DAC. They are also surprisingly comfortable for long late night listening considering they are quite bulky in size.

Even Spotify sounds fantastic and I don’t feel I’m missing too much from not listening to my 24/96+ hi res music stored on the NAS.

Now that I’m having such a good time I have started to wonder if I can achieve more using a portable device such as dragonfly/soundkey. I already have a decent mini audio m-dac headphone amp that gently improves sound by tightening the bass, bigger soundstage and improved clarity but it’s not exactly portable.

Anyone have the experience to describe the audio improvemnts I can expect from using the soundkey/dragonfly with an iPad ? I’m hoping the audio improvements are discernible in areas of soundsatage, bass and separation.

I prefer slightly warmer sound than over analytical and cold.

Unfortunately for me, my daughter noticed exactly this as well. I just let her borrow my X2 for a moment while I repaired her (twice as expensive, at $80) gaming headset). She immediately said "what great sound, and how comfortable!". Now, how will I get these back.....?
(my X2 has an inline mic cable, due to a mix-up in the store, so it works great as a gaming headset. It just sounds great as well.)

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #13,029 of 15,268
Unfortunately for me, my daughter noticed exactly this as well. I just let her borrow my X2 for a moment while I repaired her (twice as expensive, at $80) gaming headset). She immediately said "what great sound, and how comfortable!". Now, how will I get these back.....?
(my X2 has an inline mic cable, due to a mix-up in the store, so it works great as a gaming headset. It just sounds great as well.)

The VModa Boompro makes a great companion to the X2 for gaming use.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #13,030 of 15,268

Look on the bright side...your daughter obviously has good ears & discriminating taste.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #13,032 of 15,268
In my endeavours to get even more enjoyment out of the x2 I’m also looking to buy a quality short headphone lead. I’m looking at the following 1.5m copper OCC 5N. Anyone come across this or have a better cable to recommend ?

06c266c9fd81970b.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251933373967

I hope to improve the bass quality/quantity and possibly improve other areas such as soundstage and imaging.
Currently I’m using another budget short cable that is described as being 1% silver and strangely I find the sound with it more to my liking than the supplied cable. Slightly more bass and warmer overall without loss in detail. This has prompted me to look into other options.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #13,033 of 15,268
That Chinese cable looks pretty good, and the price is right.

I replaced my stock X2 cable w/2 different cables from Ghent Audio: first w/an OFC type (Choseal 4N)--which sounded better than stock, but was somewhat stiff & microphonic (made noise every time it rubbed against clothing).

I then moved to their slightly more expensive Canare L-4E6S cable, which also sounded better and had near-zero microphonics. Link to that is below. You would just ask Ghent Xu, the owner, to put a 3.5mm jack on one end (or both, if that's what you need). 1.5M of this cost $15 & shipping is free:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

I got 3-4 of these cables...they sound good & cost little.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #13,034 of 15,268
That Chinese cable looks pretty good, and the price is right.

I replaced my stock X2 cable w/2 different cables from Ghent Audio: first w/an OFC type (Choseal 4N)--which sounded better than stock, but was somewhat stiff & microphonic (made noise every time it rubbed against clothing).

I then moved to their slightly more expensive Canare L-4E6S cable, which also sounded better and had near-zero microphonics. Link to that is below. You would just ask Ghent Xu, the owner, to put a 3.5mm jack on one end (or both, if that's what you need). 1.5M of this cost $15 & shipping is free:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

I got 3-4 of these cables...they sound good & cost little.

Thanks for the pointer. I will look into those as well.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #13,035 of 15,268
@Pharmaboy
Although the Ghent cables look really well made they seem to advertise shielding as their main selling point. Made from audio rack wiring cables. Do you know more about about this cable core ? OFC copper/Silver plated ?

The Wang cable I have come across specifies it is made from superior OCC copper which specifically caught my attention. The outer sheathing seems the same as Ghent with flexibility & minimal microphonics. Screwfit 6.5mm adapter will be handy too.

Material: OCC Cable
Purity Reached 99.9997%
Braided OFC Shield

Eliminate background noise
To improve the sound resolution
Treble Tenor Bass Clean
Bass will be enhanced

I’m leaning towards the Wang cable for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back