Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #12,976 of 15,268
hmm, I may reconsider getting them then.. I'll see how I like the 990 premiums I got for 110 that come in today first though :wink:

I know him through a Zeos discord. Most people tell me to be wary of Head-fi, and that sometimes "they don't give the best advice". Like for instance I got the Multibit because of here, and everyone I know that is into serious audio ****s on it. Lol.

My Modi Multibit really surprised me recently as I got my GMP 8.35 from Massdrop, however, as musician I am have become a very good listener :), and I have to say I really don't think that my DAC often has an obvious positive effect on the sound after coming from my 2015 Macbook Pro. When I listen for my DAC it feels like Im taking my music listening too seriously XD. Despite saying this, I really did enjoy my Modi more with the GMP than the 6xx. I would have more faith in your gear.

I am still considering getting a Tube someday but I'm very happy with my Schiit Stack.

I just ordered a pair of X2HR from Taiwan on ebay and will be receiving them next week! Can't wait :smile_phones:

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #12,977 of 15,268
My Modi Multibit really surprised me recently as I got my GMP 8.35 from Massdrop, however, as musician I am have become a very good listener :), and I have to say I really don't think that my DAC often has an obvious positive effect on the sound after coming from my 2015 Macbook Pro. When I listen for my DAC it feels like Im taking my music listening too seriously XD. Despite saying this, I really did enjoy my Modi more with the GMP than the 6xx. I would have more faith in your gear.

I am still considering getting a Tube someday but I'm very happy with my Schiit Stack.

I just ordered a pair of X2HR from Taiwan on ebay and will be receiving them next week! Can't wait :smile_phones:

I also tried the X2 from a DAC, and I got the same impression (compared to directly from a 2016 mbp, or an iphone 6). Technically, it's better, but it does nothing to the experience of the music. This is dramatically different from the LCD-2 that sounds horrible from the mbp. Did you try using a tube amp, to soften things up again? (I route the signal from my M-Audio pro, to a vintage DPA Renaissance dac. to an X-CANv3 just to mess up the sound a bit. It saves (most of) the good things, while gaining the groove again. The headstage is what differs the most - from the dac directly it is hard to ignore the exact location of sounds, while with this detour through extra dac + tube amp, locating instruments takes a bit of an effort (it is still in the same places though))
( In any case though, from the x-can the lcd2 sounds a lot better)

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #12,979 of 15,268
was going to buy the x2hr today, but in the shop I found a dusty box with the x2. Box marked b-product and clearly used( a demo or return) negotiated price to 450nok\47euro.

For that price I had to take it, just checked that right and left was working. So now waiting for the pads to dry after a wash to test them.

I like this story!

Think you'll be glad you overlooked the "shiny new object" to try out the previous version. Assuming it has no issues, you will probably like what you hear.

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #12,983 of 15,268
Well It's been a few weeks , now; how are you finding the Beyer dt 990 premiums?
If you're still interested, I could give you a sound comparison with the x2's.
Thanks for the reminder! :) I really do love them.. they are crisp, vocals sound great, and that bass... So addicting. I find myself just cupping the grills to feel it shake.. and staying up a little while longer than I should be :wink: the soundstage, imaging, and comfort is great.. my only complaint is sometimes the highs can be a little too sharp and murder my ears... But that's why I have Hd-580's lol. I love that they also change up with my dark voice and level out a bit more to help with the harsh highs though, make the mid range come out a bit more, but that addicting bass is lessened.. so i find myself using them with SS. So whats your take on the X2's?

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #12,984 of 15,268
It’s one of the most fun and easiest to listen to headphones I have come across. By that I mean it has an inoffensive, smooth, lush, non-fatiguing, musical sound, that’s an immersive experience. Immersive experience in the sense that once you put them on, you are able to become completely immersed in the music and totally forget about the outside world. Not many headphones can do that.

It sounds great with all genres, plays well with every source I’ve ever thrown at it, and is super comfy.

I have a rolling pads problem (not glued) and my experience is just the opposite. Offensive, harsh and fatiguing. I use X2 with Meridian Explorer 2 and Mojo. I am trying to press the pads with my hand to hear what you describe. After 10 or 15 minutes i put them out and use my HD-650. Even the Beyerdynamic DT770 anniversary edition is more relaxing overall.I didn;t try to glue them until today.Reading your post makes me think that i am missing the true character of these excellent headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #12,985 of 15,268
I have a rolling pads problem (not glued) and my experience is just the opposite. Offensive, harsh and fatiguing. I use X2 with Meridian Explorer 2 and Mojo. I am trying to press the pads with my hand to hear what you describe. After 10 or 15 minutes i put them out and use my HD-650. Even the Beyerdynamic DT770 anniversary edition is more relaxing overall.I didn;t try to glue them until today.Reading your post makes me think that i am missing the true character of these excellent headphones.

What happens if you try a different source, such as your cell phone? Even though you’re using a Meridian Explorer 2 and Mojo, it may not be a good impedance match. Trying it a different source is a good way to rule that out.

As far as the pads, gently pop them off one at a time, and make sure they are lined up with all of the pins (including the pin that says “ALIGN PIN”).

To do this, hold the ear cup using 2 hands like you are holding a video game controller. Then approximately where the pins are, use your thumbs to squish through the memory foam so you make sure you are pressing the actual pins. Do this for each of the 4 pins.

Does that make sense? If not, I can post some photos to make the process easier to visualize.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #12,986 of 15,268
What happens if you try a different source, such as your cell phone? Even though you’re using a Meridian Explorer 2 and Mojo, it may not be a good impedance match. Trying it a different source is a good way to rule that out.

As far as the pads, gently pop them off one at a time, and make sure they are lined up with all of the pins (including the pin that says “ALIGN PIN”).

To do this, hold the ear cup using 2 hands like you are holding a video game controller. Then approximately where the pins are, use your thumbs to squish through the memory foam so you make sure you are pressing the actual pins. Do this for each of the 4 pins.

Does that make sense? If not, I can post some photos to make the process easier to visualize.
Thank you for your answer and your instructions. Would you be so kind to post some photos? Thanks again

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #12,987 of 15,268
Thank you for your answer and your instructions. Would you be so kind to post some photos? Thanks again

Sure friend, glad to.

Be aware that I had to use 1 hand for the camera, so the photos only shows 1 hand. You will use 2 hands (the 2nd hand will be opposite of the 1st hand). For example, if 1 hand is at the 2 o'clock position, the other hand will be at the 8 o'clock position). Make sense?

So here is the photos (you can click the photos for larger view).

Here you can see the (4) holes, and the smaller "Align Pin". Also note that the pad says "Left" and "Right", and each ear cup says "Left" and "Right". This will help you to install the pad on the correct ear cup.
IMG-1379.JPG

Here is the headphone cup with the pad removed. You can see the (4) large pins (that fit into the 4 holes in the ear pad), and the smaller "Align" hole (that fits into the "Align Pin" on the ear pad). Also, do you see the small foam ring that goes all the way around the cup (on the outside of the 4 pins)? That foam must seal tight against the earpad, otherwise sound will leak out (especially bass) and it will be very poor sounding.
IMG-1381.JPG

The way I have found that is the best to make sure the pad seals is to:

1). Line the (4) pins and the "Align Pin" properly between the pad and the cup. It helps if you rotate the pad a little bit, and you will feel the pad "drop" onto the pins.
2). Then gently push the pad down onto the pins.
3). Now hold the earcups with both hands like you are holding a video game controller, like this (remember I can only use 1 hand because the other hand is holding the camera):
IMG-1382.JPG
4). Now use your thumbs to "smoosh down" the pads where the pins are located. Like this:
IMG-1385.JPG

5). Continue to move your thumb all the way around, and "smoosh down" the pads until you have seated all (4) pins. The pins are located at approximately 1 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 7 o'clock, and 11 o'clock (with the headband located at 12 o'clock). So these are the positions where you want to make sure you push down.
6). Repeat the procedure for the other pad and you are all done!

Note: You can also switch the position of your fingers, and use your thumb to hold the back of the cup, and the other fingers to "smoosh down" the pad:
IMG-1386.JPG

Let me know if I explained this well enough :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,988 of 15,268
Sure friend, glad to.

Be aware that I had to use 1 hand for the camera, so the photos only shows 1 hand. You will use 2 hands (the 2nd hand will be opposite of the 1st hand). For example, if 1 hand is at the 2 o'clock position, the other hand will be at the 8 o'clock position). Make sense?

So here is the photos (you can click the photos for larger view).

Here you can see the (4) holes, and the smaller "Align Pin". Also note that the pad says "Left" and "Right", and each ear cup says "Left" and "Right". This will help you to install the pad on the correct ear cup.

Here is the headphone cup with the pad removed. You can see the (4) large pins (that fit into the 4 holes in the ear pad), and the smaller "Align" hole (that fits into the "Align Pin" on the ear pad). Also, do you see the small foam ring that goes all the way around the cup (on the outside of the 4 pins)? That foam must seal tight against the earpad, otherwise sound will leak out (especially bass) and it will be very poor sounding.

The way I have found that is the best to make sure the pad seals is to:

1). Line the (4) pins and the "Align Pin" properly between the pad and the cup. It helps if you rotate the pad a little bit, and you will feel the pad "drop" onto the pins.
2). Then gently push the pad down onto the pins.
3). Now hold the earcups with both hands like you are holding a video game controller, like this (remember I can only use 1 hand because the other hand is holding the camera):

4). Now use your thumbs to "smoosh down" the pads where the pins are located. Like this:

5). Continue to move your thumb all the way around, and "smoosh down" the pads until you have seated all (4) pins. The pins are located at approximately 1 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 7 o'clock, and 11 o'clock (with the headband located at 12 o'clock). So these are the positions where you want to make sure you push down.
6). Repeat the procedure for the other pad and you are all done!

Note: You can also switch the position of your fingers, and use your thumb to hold the back of the cup, and the other fingers to "smoosh down" the pad:

Let me know if I explained this well enough :)

This is when I really love Head-Fi...when a knowledgeable/helpful member shares experiences/tips, including informative pictures.

Emboldened by this visual tutorial, I'm going to play around w/pads on my X2s again. It may sound silly, but I forgot exactly how to remove these pads, so didn't continue pad-rolling experiments begun months ago.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #12,989 of 15,268
Thanks for the reminder! :) I really do love them.. they are crisp, vocals sound great, and that bass... So addicting. I find myself just cupping the grills to feel it shake.. and staying up a little while longer than I should be :wink: the soundstage, imaging, and comfort is great.. my only complaint is sometimes the highs can be a little too sharp and murder my ears... But that's why I have Hd-580's lol. I love that they also change up with my dark voice and level out a bit more to help with the harsh highs though, make the mid range come out a bit more, but that addicting bass is lessened.. so i find myself using them with SS. So whats your take on the X2's?
The x2's don't have as much treble brightness as the 990's. The 990's have more overall treble and a pretty sharp peak at around 9khz to 10khz. The x2's have a peak there too, but It's not as extreme.
In the midrange it's sort of the opposite; The x2's have more overall midrange and the 990's have less.The bass on both is pretty good for open back headphones; though I think the x2's might have a little more mid bass.
The x2's and the 990's are quite different sounding headphones.
In general, the x2's have a warmer, more full bodied sound.Vocals and instruments on the 990's are leaner and sharper sounding, with more detail, due to the treble.
I figure, It's possible some people might like one and not like the other as much.It depends on personal preference.
Myself, I prefer the x2's because of the warmer, more full bodied sound.But as I said , not everyone will necessarily feel the same way.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #12,990 of 15,268
The x2's don't have as much treble brightness as the 990's. The 990's have more overall treble and a pretty sharp peak at around 9khz to 10khz. The x2's have a peak there too, but It's not as extreme.
In the midrange it's sort of the opposite; The x2's have more overall midrange and the 990's have less.The bass on both is pretty good for open back headphones; though I think the x2's might have a little more mid bass.
The x2's and the 990's are quite different sounding headphones.
In general, the x2's have a warmer, more full bodied sound.Vocals and instruments on the 990's are leaner and sharper sounding, with more detail, due to the treble.
I figure, It's possible some people might like one and not like the other as much.It depends on personal preference.
Myself, I prefer the x2's because of the warmer, more full bodied sound.But as I said , not everyone will necessarily feel the same way.
Ive preferred more "full sounding" headphones after getting into hifi, I used to like more V-shaped though. I like my headphones to be neutral, but with a more "forward" sounding mid-range, because I like vocals to be the star of the show, with also a slight emphasis on bass. Though they don't have much bass, that's why I find myself using my HD 580's more. Just the bass on the 990 is next level, that thumping makes me smile :) I was going to consider getting a pair of HD 650's for their warmness, but I've heard their vocals sound more "grainy"/"veiled", which I wouldn't really prefer, because as I stated slightly earlier, I love smooth and clear vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back