Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #11,671 of 15,268
For sound quality, X2 is absolutely an upgrade from 598 (I had initially owned 598 but returned them after comparing to the X2). The only thing I prefer the 598 for is comfort - X2 is comfortable, but really big - definitely not for outside of the home!

Now there is sale on the x2 for 120 usd here in sweden. I'm thinking to upgrade my brothers hd598 to this.... can anyone give me some comments on hd598 vs x2 ? These doesn't need amp right ? Also how are the quality on these ? Heard there are lots of problem before ?

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #11,672 of 15,268
Three time's the charm, right?

D5ZFP18.jpg

Left pair was my original one, channel imbalance.
Middle pair was my second one, channel imbalance.
Right pair is my most-recent one, NO channel imbalance!

Only took 750€. God dammit.

Even though I finally got good ones and the headphones themselves being great (once they're actually balanced correctly), the QC issues at Philips are way too bothersome for me to ever get headphones from them. Unless they can show that a potential Fidelio X3 is perfect from the start.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #11,674 of 15,268
How did you check the imbalance? Or were it really obvious?

Rapidly switched between all three of them on the same audio interface (the E10K you see in the top right corner). It's subtle on its own and takes a while to hear, but in direct comparison between three models it becomes obvious. Also, this "airiness" feeling that I would get on the, respectively, quieter side was not there in the third model.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #11,678 of 15,268
I have read a little about QC issues and two versions WOOX and Gibson with different sound on the headphone.... does the x2 still have those problems ?

I was planning to buy one as they are on sale here....but i don't want to gamble if they still got so many problems I would rather skip the x2

As you can see from my diary of headaches that I've been posting over the last few pages in this thread, I can say that the QC issues are likely. There is no more crap with glue or different sound, but driver mismatch is a common problem. It took me three pairs until I had a fully functional one.

If the sale is decent enough (like, below 200€) I'd go for it. Otherwise I would make the jump to something else.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #11,680 of 15,268
Looks like you stretched the crap out of the first pair, no?

I've bought the first pair used and then further used it for two months before I got the new ones. The second and third pair is definitely not as comfortable yet, the clamping factor is real. But this is part of the burn-in process.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #11,681 of 15,268
Great review, you can get them on Christmas sale here in Sweden for 115 euros, I'm pulling the trigger on them tomorrow.

Elgiganten rules! I bought these last time they were on sale, it was 150€. €115 is a bargain for these cans :thumbup:

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #11,682 of 15,268
Hey all. I got a pair for Christmas. Yay! I'm sensitive to treble and I'm also finding the highs to be sharp. I ran an hour of pink noise and it's still sharp to my ears. I'm fiddleing with the TP mod currently. I'm looking for an EQ that's portable but not having much luck finding one that doesn't require 120. The Shure SHA900 looks ideal but the $$$. The Fiio E17K has treble and bass EQ. Would this work to help tame the highs? Does anyone know what frequency it starts to roll off? This song has some sibilance that is sharp to my ears with these cans. https://youtu.be/i-gyZ35074k

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #11,683 of 15,268
Are digital EQs no option for your situation? I'd try to find a solution there before I spend money on gear I might not even need. Most Playback Apps on phones support equalizing in some form.

Since I use my cans on PC only, and I also had the problem with sensitive treble, I used "Equalizer APO", which I originally only got do channel balancing. And I do use the Fiio E10k, which also has pretty sharp trebles. Using that software I was able to go from painful to enjoyable without losing a penny.

As a side note, one hour of pink noise is essentially nothing for a burn-in. Give it a full weekend and you might hear a difference.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #11,684 of 15,268
I have read a little about QC issues and two versions WOOX and Gibson with different sound on the headphone.... does the x2 still have those problems ?

Got myself a old Woox pair and a brand new Gibson pair.
Been burning the new pair in during the night.

Testing yesterday the Woox pair I've found there to be some S sibilance in some songs, EQ'd down some frequencies <2.5 db and it was fine.
I'll see if I still have the issue today and will put the Gibson pair through the same ordeal.

"I'll be back"

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #11,685 of 15,268
I picked up a pair of X2s from Elgiganten a couple of days ago and the first pair had the channel imbalance issue that others seem to suffer from as well. It felt like all the singing went straight in to the right side of the back of my head and I found myself wanting to readjust the headphones on my head all the time due to the left side being significantly quieter than the right. I went back to the store after only testing them out for an hour or so and got a replacement pair. The second pair seemed a bit better but as time progressed I got the same feeling from this pair as well, something just wasn't right with the balance. Same issue here with the right side being significantly louder than the left side. 

At this point I was pretty fed up with standing in for Philips' (Gibson's?) QA department as it seems to be pretty non-existent. Fortunately I had ordered a pair online as well if they were to run out at the physical stores close to me. The third pair of X2s are a whole different ballpark. This pair has no issues what so ever when it comes to channel imbalance and the harsh sibilance I experienced with the two pairs prior to this is minimal. A very enjoyable pair of headphones, just a shame that the quality control is absolutely rubbish compared to Sennheiser i.e.

I would be absolutely furious if I'd paid 200-250 € and ended up with rubbish like the first two pairs. Now I only paid 1111 kr (115 €) and was kinda prepared for some quality issues, hence I bought more than one pair in the first place. Thankfully Elgiganten has a great return policy and I got the money back for the imbalanced pair without any trouble at all other than me having to go back to the store.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back