Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #11,686 of 15,268
Are digital EQs no option for your situation? I'd try to find a solution there before I spend money on gear I might not even need. Most Playback Apps on phones support equalizing in some form.

Since I use my cans on PC only, and I also had the problem with sensitive treble, I used "Equalizer APO", which I originally only got do channel balancing. And I do use the Fiio E10k, which also has pretty sharp trebles. Using that software I was able to go from painful to enjoyable without losing a penny.

As a side note, one hour of pink noise is essentially nothing for a burn-in. Give it a full weekend and you might hear a difference.

Yea I'm using Boom 2 on the mac and it works wonderfully. I had to start rolling off at 8K. Unfortunately there is no systemwide EQ for iOS unless you jailbreak 
mad.gif
. Plus, I'd like to use the cans on everything else. I'm probably console gaming on them around 60/40 to music. Just a very short brief on what I could come up with while searching was a small Behringer, Bravo 3, E17K, and the expensive Shure SHA900 (Good Lord $$$). I also looked through several threads on here. The HD650s were recommended but I don't want to give up what other features the X2 offers. I wonder how well the EQ on the E17K works? I'm also curious what an amp will do to these? 

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #11,687 of 15,268
  Got myself a old Woox pair and a brand new Gibson pair.
Been burning the new pair in during the night.

Testing yesterday the Woox pair I've found there to be some S sibilance in some songs, EQ'd down some frequencies <2.5 db and it was fine.
I'll see if I still have the issue today and will put the Gibson pair through the same ordeal.

"I'll be back"

So with some more testing just switching the wire between the headphones I can say that I cannot tell the two apart audio wise.
They both suffer from the same S siblance in very specific songs that want to create it and only at too loud listening levels.
50% above comfortably loud and almost unnoticeable, only because I know it's there.
60% loud and noticeable.
70% too bloody loud and annoying.
Never gonna listen at over 50% for any extended period of time, so not an issue for me.

Now I am new to audio, these two X2s are the only headphones I've owned and they're running off my brand new GSX 1000.
So take it what it for what it is, some noob comparing A to B.

The Woox had shiny pads and the Gibson matte in case anyone was wondering.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #11,688 of 15,268
It seems incredible that the QC on headphones at this price point should be so unreliable, I bought mine nearly two years ago and have loved them right from the very first moment I plugged them in, also they still look as good as the day I bought them, I must be one of the lucky ones to get a good pair straight away!.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #11,689 of 15,268
  It seems incredible that the QC on headphones at this price point should be so unreliable, I bought mine nearly two years ago and have loved them right from the very first moment I plugged them in, also they still look as good as the day I bought them, I must be one of the lucky ones to get a good pair straight away!.

To be honest I think the QC went down the toilet when Gibson bought Philips' headphones division. Your pair is most likely from the Woox era of the X2s where channel imbalance seemed like much less of an issue. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #11,690 of 15,268
  So with some more testing just switching the wire between the headphones I can say that I cannot tell the two apart audio wise.
They both suffer from the same S siblance in very specific songs that want to create it and only at too loud listening levels.
50% above comfortably loud and almost unnoticeable, only because I know it's there.
60% loud and noticeable.
70% too bloody loud and annoying.
Never gonna listen at over 50% for any extended period of time, so not an issue for me.

Now I am new to audio, these two X2s are the only headphones I've owned and they're running off my brand new GSX 1000.
So take it what it for what it is, some noob comparing A to B.

The Woox had shiny pads and the Gibson matte in case anyone was wondering.

Be sure to check your amp specs and ensure you're not over-driving them.My Schiit amp, for example, is capable of 1.2W/ch.

X2 is rated for a 500mW maximum input power.

About 9 months ago or so, there was a guy on here complaining about distortion......but based on his amp specs, he was trying to cram close to 1W through them.

Haha that was NOT the headphones' fault (in this example). That was him trying to blow up his new headphones.

*edit* I'm relatively sure that's not happening here. Just throwing it out for others that may be reading.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #11,691 of 15,268
  Be sure to check your amp specs and ensure you're not over-driving them.My Schiit amp, for example, is capable of 1.2W/ch.

About 9 months ago or so, there was a guy on here complaining about distortion......but based on his amp specs, he was trying to cram close to 1W through them.

Haha that was NOT the headphones' fault (in this example). That was him trying to blow up his new headphones.

1 Vrms@ 32 Ω​

The only specs I can find are:

Recommended Headphone Impedance
16 – 150 Ω​
 ​
Headphone: Max. Output Voltage
1 Vrms@ 32 Ω​
 ​

So I assume it's well within safe range.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #11,692 of 15,268
I run my X2's out of my Burson Conductor V2+ all the time and have never had any issues.

How to over-drive headphones? I've never even heard about it before. I typically use powerful amplifiers with all my headphones and IEM's and I've never had any problems whatsoever....

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #11,693 of 15,268

1 Vrms@ 32 Ω​
The only specs I can find are:

Recommended Headphone Impedance
16 – 150 Ω​
 ​
Headphone: Max. Output Voltage
1 Vrms@ 32 Ω​
 ​

So I assume it's well within safe range.

*blinks* Strange that Sennheiser doesn't give the power rating in watts......they certainly know better.

Someone with more electrical knowledge them myself (zero) should chime in......but I think you're safe :)

I'd also turn off any Surround or DSP settings when listening to music, and use a good old-fashioned EQ if you need to tailor the sound.

For gaming, knock yourself out!

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #11,694 of 15,268
  To be honest I think the QC went down the toilet when Gibson bought Philips' headphones division. Your pair is most likely from the Woox era of the X2s where channel imbalance seemed like much less of an issue. 

Yes mine are the WOOX era. At the time I bought mine I wasn't aware of the QC problems, it was only after I'd bought mine that I heard about the problems, I think if I had known before, then I might not have taken the risk.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #11,695 of 15,268
hi 
I think I get a defective one.midrange is ok but bass and soundstage are awful.and also when I use my nexus 5 and my ps vita the sound volume is very low.I compared it with sony xperia z5 headphone and z5 headphone was better even when I use theme with a good laptop.what should I do??Is it possible its because of my players??(sorry for bad english)

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #11,696 of 15,268
Hey, I just got my X2. It doesn't sound that good to me compared to my MODA m-100. Maybe its just because i am more of a basshead after all.

But is mine possibly defective? Are those glue in these 4 holes? I asked the seller and they said that they received the shipment 1 month ago. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #11,697 of 15,268

But is mine possibly defective? Are those glue in these 4 holes? I asked the seller and they said that they received the shipment 1 month ago. 

I doubt that's glue. All of the complaints of glued-on pads describe the ear pad being glued onto the cups, but not from the pinholes. If anything, it could be just the memory foam material or plastic ring you're looking at.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #11,698 of 15,268
hi 
I think I get a defective one.midrange is ok but bass and soundstage are awful.and also when I use my nexus 5 and my ps vita the sound volume is very low.I [COLOR=6A6A6A]compared it with [/COLOR]sony xperia z5 headphone and z5 headphone was better even when I use theme with a good laptop.what should I do??Is it possible its because of my players??(sorry for bad english)

I found my two first pairs (suffering from imbalanced drivers) of X2s really lacking something, they sounded pretty bad if you compare them to the third pair that is well balanced. I found myself having to turn up the volume a lot more on the imbalanced pairs as well. Maybe your pair of X2s suffer from channel imbalance as well? Try to mess about with left/right balance on your playback device and see if it makes any difference for you.

Hey, I just got my X2. It doesn't sound that good to me compared to my MODA m-100. Maybe its just because i am more of a basshead after all.

As Jackal Fox pointed out, what you're seeing is not related to the glue problems of late 2015/early 2016 models. If your pair came from a batch like that you would definitely have noticed when removing the ear pads. What you're seeing should be completely normal so you can rule that out at least.

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #11,699 of 15,268
I found my two first pairs (suffering from imbalanced drivers) of X2s really lacking something, they sounded pretty bad if you compare them to the third pair that is well balanced. I found myself having to turn up the volume a lot more on the imbalanced pairs as well. Maybe your pair of X2s suffer from channel imbalance as well? Try to mess about with left/right balance on your playback device and see if it makes any difference for you.

Thanx bro.but my both drivers have same sound quality and both are bad 
frown.gif
.I think I should give theme back.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #11,700 of 15,268
Got a quick question. The X2's are easy to drive, so are there any sound improvements at all if I were to get a better DAC/Amp than my current Fiio E10K? If yes, what could I expect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back