Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #11,311 of 15,268
Also relevant, Amazon.com US has many comments about poorly made units with glued pads, that pretty much cannot be removed. Made in Mexico. These are quite recent reviews.  No sure what is being shipped from the UK however, but probably it's the Gibson version, which might sound OK or might sound nasty, depending on who you ask.
I'll cancel my order for now and wait for more feedback on recent units.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #11,312 of 15,268
I was curious about these and planning to buy a pair, but availability is atrocious. Amazon in the US sells them only through a bunch of very dodgy-sounding third party resellers, and Amazon UK has a 1-2 month wait. Assuming Philips is not planning to discontinue them it's odd that a product from such a big electronics company is so poorly distributed. Among the few other "normal" retailers, Walmart in the US currently has the best deal -- $248

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #11,313 of 15,268
  Also relevant, Amazon.com US has many comments about poorly made units with glued pads, that pretty much cannot be removed. Made in Mexico. These are quite recent reviews.  No sure what is being shipped from the UK however, but probably it's the Gibson version, which might sound OK or might sound nasty, depending on who you ask.

I received mine from Amazon on Aug 15, 2016.   No glued earpads, no ink stains on paper.  I would keep the order open, imo.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #11,314 of 15,268
  I was curious about these and planning to buy a pair, but availability is atrocious. Amazon in the US sells them only through a bunch of very dodgy-sounding third party resellers, and Amazon UK has a 1-2 month wait. Assuming Philips is not planning to discontinue them it's odd that a product from such a big electronics company is so poorly distributed. Among the few other "normal" retailers, Walmart in the US currently has the best deal -- $248

If you want one barely used, I'm selling for 185. Seriously less than 10 hours on it, though there is a stitch that popped open on one of the seams of the right pad. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820893/philips-fidelio-x2-like-new

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #11,315 of 15,268
i was worried after reading all the reviews but as soon as i got them (from Amazon) i took the ear pads off to make sure they weren't glued on. everything is perfect and loving these coming from my dailies which are V-Moda M-100's!

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #11,316 of 15,268

The Fidelio X2 is NOT made in Mexico. They're made in China. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #11,318 of 15,268
Sep 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #11,319 of 15,268
On sale at Amazon UK..  With shipping to the U.S., total price should be around $150. or less, according to a couple buyers.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9129679-philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-150?sdxt07=0&p=89572839&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=5592&utm_content=u1474462&utm_campaign=tu4&src=da_si_v2_18105078

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-00-Fidelio-Headphone/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?tag=sd4-21&ascsubtag=9a23008480e111e6a6e162b73af48f550INT&ie=UTF8&qid=1474556596&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x2

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #11,320 of 15,268
Really need yourhelp guys. I ordered the x2 just in case it gets sold out. Im in the USA. Will it complement my hd650. I dont want to have 2 expensive headphones that sound similar. I my mind, the hd650 and grado are opposites in some ways. If it helps, I have a fiio x3 I use with e12a amp for portable. And bypass the amp in the fiio and use an g&w tw-j1 headphone amp at home. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #11,321 of 15,268
X2 has an even smoother sound with less mids, more V-shaped signature - very warm. Senns have more of a mid-bass boost (pretty moderate) compared to the lower focus on the Philips'. X2 has more bass in general. For me HD650 is more comfortable, they have softer pads. HD650 is actually pretty neutral, despite their warmth.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #11,322 of 15,268
Anyone that has replaced the ear pads on the X2 with a pair from Brainwavz, which pads did you use ? They have so many different ones, it's confusing . Thanks

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #11,324 of 15,268
I received mine from Amazon on Aug 15, 2016.   No glued earpads, no ink stains on paper.  Quality is great.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #11,325 of 15,268
Ok guys. I ordered this twice on AMAZON UK due to the price drop and received 2 clearly different models.

As read in the comment from there are different models in circulation at the moment.

These are how I received them

1st pair [GIBSON]- Clear writing on the leather padding. Glued on pads. Firmer, courser, thinner velour pads.
2nd pair[WOOX]-Less defined lettering.Not Glued on pads. Spongier (if you push down you can touch the edge of the cans), shinier, thicker velour pads.

The problem now is that there is no way of subjectively knowing which one you have unless you have the other one so you can compare relatively the other one in your hands.

Now there seems to be tons of differing account on audio quality, but I will say from my experience of receiving both different models:

I prefer the WOOX model.

The main reason is audio quality. Now some say that both models sound identical, but for me, the models I received were different in 1 major way.

BASS

The Gibson models Bass is at first incredible, but the more audio you sample, you realise it is overblown. The vocals get drowned out in it, and although for games it makes explosions sound incredible, your songs will sound distand and thumping regardless of genre.
My warning bells sounded when I listned to "Forth Eorlingas" and "End of all Things" in the LOTR two towers soundtrack and return of the king respectively. The crescendo choir voice sounded incredibly far away and not triumphant.

When I received the WOOX model, the super bass was not present (but still pretty bassy, comparable to ATH m50X) and everything sounded like "it should"

looking through the forums some have attributed this purely to the padding quality, but the signature is so different I have my doubts.

Audio is subjective, and I might have received a defective model. I thought maybe ignorance is bliss and it would be better if you enjoyed your product without knowing that there is audio discrepancy between the same product.

[everything except the overexposed bass is identical. The soundstage is excellent, the detail and clarity is still top notch just slightly distant, and the pads are equally comfortable]

AGAIN this is purely my personal experience and I hope you enjoy whatever item you receive.

Link to comparison photos (How do I quote)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/8535#post_12201762

Users who are viewing this thread

Back