Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #11,326 of 15,268
  Ok guys. I ordered this twice on AMAZON UK due to the price drop and received 2 clearly different models.

As read in the comment from there are different models in circulation at the moment.

These are how I received them

1st pair [GIBSON]- Clear writing on the leather padding. Glued on pads. Firmer, courser, thinner velour pads.
2nd pair[WOOX]-Less defined lettering.Not Glued on pads. Spongier (if you push down you can touch the edge of the cans), shinier, thicker velour pads.

The problem now is that there is no way of subjectively knowing which one you have unless you have the other one so you can compare relatively the other one in your hands.

Now there seems to be tons of differing account on audio quality, but I will say from my experience of receiving both different models:

I prefer the WOOX model.

The main reason is audio quality. Now some say that both models sound identical, but for me, the models I received were different in 1 major way.

BASS

The Gibson models Bass is at first incredible, but the more audio you sample, you realise it is overblown. The vocals get drowned out in it, and although for games it makes explosions sound incredible, your songs will sound distand and thumping regardless of genre.
My warning bells sounded when I listned to "Forth Eorlingas" and "End of all Things" in the LOTR two towers soundtrack and return of the king respectively. The crescendo choir voice sounded incredibly far away and not triumphant.

When I received the WOOX model, the super bass was not present (but still pretty bassy, comparable to ATH m50X) and everything sounded like "it should"

looking through the forums some have attributed this purely to the padding quality, but the signature is so different I have my doubts.

Audio is subjective, and I might have received a defective model. I thought maybe ignorance is bliss and it would be better if you enjoyed your product without knowing that there is audio discrepancy between the same product.

[everything except the overexposed bass is identical. The soundstage is excellent, the detail and clarity is still top notch just slightly distant, and the pads are equally comfortable]

AGAIN this is purely my personal experience and I hope you enjoy whatever item you receive.

Link to comparison photos (How do I quote)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/8535#post_12201762

Pads can make a significant difference to the sound signature of a headphone, so I'd bet the difference you're hearing is mostly due to the pads being different

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #11,327 of 15,268

Pads can make a significant difference to the sound signature of a headphone, so I'd bet the difference you're hearing is mostly due to the pads being different

I really had no idea. Pads can bass go crazy and make vocals sound distant? I ordered HM5 pads for my M50Xs so maybe I can put them on the fidelios to see if that changes things.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #11,328 of 15,268
My Fostex HP-A3 just arrived... I am in bliss. Audio nirvana for me.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #11,330 of 15,268
  does the DAC improve the sound for the X2? I heard the X2 doesn't benefit much from amps.

According to my experience they benefit significantly. A better DAC gives them more clarity, tighter, cleaner bass. Some will argue, some agree with this. The only chance to decide is to try it yourself. Check your favourite headphones on a better DAC, and decide if the difference is worth for you. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #11,331 of 15,268
That's exactly what I felt coming from the Titanium HD soundcard to the HP-A3... Everything seems clearer and more detailed and, also, acoustic songs don't feel anemic anymore.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #11,332 of 15,268
My Fostex HP-A3 just arrived... I am in bliss. Audio nirvana for me.

Nice! I'm glad it worked out well for you.

According to my experience they benefit significantly. A better DAC gives them more clarity, tighter, cleaner bass. Some will argue, some agree with this. The only chance to decide is to try it yourself. Check your favourite headphones on a better DAC, and decide if the difference is worth for you. 

I for one will........ totally agree :wink:

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #11,333 of 15,268
What the X2s lack in scalability, they make up for in versatility. They're perfect for someone who wants a premium listening experience but isn't going to invest in a bunch of pricey bit-perfect players, DACs, amps, etc. They just want something that can move from their home theater receiver, to their iPhone, laptop or game system and handle it all with ease.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #11,334 of 15,268
  What the X2s lack in scalability, they make up for in versatility. They're perfect for someone who wants a premium listening experience but isn't going to invest in a bunch of pricey bit-perfect players, DACs, amps, etc. They just want something that can move from their home theater receiver, to their iPhone, laptop or game system and handle it all with ease.

^^this^^

X2's easily interchangeable cord makes it incredibly versatile.Sure, portability is questionable since they're open.......but closing them would likely lose their great soundstage.

My TH-X00's are clearly superior for music.....but due to the X2 soundstage, I'll pair it with the V-Moda Boom Pro to use as my PC gaming headset when BF1 is released :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #11,335 of 15,268

I think, this is a pretty good definition of X2's target group. (Although, I would argue on your statement regarding scalability.)

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #11,336 of 15,268

I think, this is a pretty good definition of X2's target group. (Although, I would argue on your statement regarding scalability.)

Admittedly, I have little experience with scalability. I did try out a bunch of DACs of varying price points and features until I settled on the m9XX, which I'm super happy with. Mostly I just meant there isn't a high bar for making the X2s sound great. Yes, they sound way better through a Chord Mojo than the Fii-O E10K, but they sound pretty fantastic with any source, so it doesn't seem that the scalability is as dramatic as it would be with planars or some power hungry cans. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #11,337 of 15,268
Sorry it seems like a sidestep but is a Hi Fi audio system such as the sony CMT-SD1 considered a DAC? I can use optical cable to tranfer digital infor from my pc soundcard to the Hifi system and output it into my headphones. 

From there I can modify Bass, Treble, add a surround effect etc.

Its a 15 year old system, way before the advent of bespoke usb dacs. 

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3864770141.pdf

Its not strictly advertised as a DAC, it can amplify my headphone output by a lot (although at max I can't bear it because its too loud).

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #11,338 of 15,268
  Admittedly, I have little experience with scalability. I did try out a bunch of DACs of varying price points and features until I settled on the m9XX, which I'm super happy with. Mostly I just meant there isn't a high bar for making the X2s sound great. Yes, they sound way better through a Chord Mojo than the Fii-O E10K, but they sound pretty fantastic with any source, so it doesn't seem that the scalability is as dramatic as it would be with planars or some power hungry cans. 

I think, we are pretty much on the same page. The rate of scalability is very relative.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #11,340 of 15,268
These are removed from Amazon UK now, after the 'firesale'. Any idea why? Discontinued? Potential X3?

I really don't want to see them release an X3. I don't need any more headphones. (Want being a different story...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back