Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #11,296 of 15,268
  RCA's.....depends on the length you need. I have Schiit PYST cables, at $20 they're good enough quality that anything more expensive is likely in the snake oil realm. But they're only 9" or so. For longer cables, I'd likely try Kabel Direkt..I have a 3' cable from them that admittedly I haven't used, but it feels and looks like good quality.

For a new cable for your X2, can't go wrong with V-Moda, IMO. Step up to the Boom Pro and instant mic for gaming as well :)

With shipping from Shiit EU that kinda goes too high for what I was counting on spending.. As for the V-Moda "normal" AUX cable, I've been hunting that thing all over EU and nothing... Can't find it anywhere, just the Boompro.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #11,297 of 15,268
  For longer cables, I'd likely try Kabel Direkt..I have a 3' cable from them that admittedly I haven't used, but it feels and looks like good quality.

+1 for KabelDirekt. I really like their 3' & 6' aux cables for the X2. I love that it's just a standard 3.5mm jack for maximum compatibility. (Look Apple, open standards!) Haven't tried the V-Moda Speakeasy cable yet but it looks nicer than Oppo's iPhone cable.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #11,299 of 15,268
I've got mine 15 days ago from Amazon.es and so far zero issues (apart from the cable being microphonic as hell). No channel imbalance, no glue on the earpads.. all good.

PS: Just ordered the Fostex HP-A3 and the V-Moda AUX cable. Fingers crossed!

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #11,300 of 15,268
I was considering the O2+Odac combo as well, since I can get it for about the same price as the Fostex HP-A3, but I was leaning more towards the Fostex. Reviews about it have been great (and I've read a ton of them) and it has two things I really like: the output selector (god's gift to mankind) and the fact that it has no channel imbalance on lower volume. Also the phones jack is 6.35mm which is kinda nice for durability sake.

Yes, the Fostex does seem to be a good choice for you. Let us know how it sounds with the X2's when you've got some time with it.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #11,301 of 15,268
Looking for a closed back headphone for a while and settled on the M40x. They sound pretty similar to the X2's, HD600's, SHP9500, ect. Nice midrange with solid bass. Only if the pads didn't suck I would love them more. Perfect companion for the X2's when people won't shut up in the house. Just thought I'd mention them.

So what's everyones thoughts on a dac/amp now days? Still the schiit magni/modi and O2? Anything new that everyones jumping onto?

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #11,302 of 15,268
  So what's everyones thoughts on a dac/amp now days? Still the schiit magni/modi and O2? Anything new that everyones jumping onto?

I've been a bit of a Massdrop fiend as of late. Thankfully, no shipping issues. Anyways. The Fostex TH-X00 is definitely a step up in refinement from the X2 but with a similar sound signature. The mahogany edition might even be closer in tuning to the X2s. (I have the purplehearts.) And as far as DACs go, I love my Grace m9XX. It isn't the most powerful head amp but it has more than I need to drive the TH-X00s. And yet I can't get rid of my X2s. Plugging them into a game system is a joy and I know it isn't practical but pairing them with my DAP is too.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #11,305 of 15,268
Amazon.co.uk seems to have a promo on these. 116 GBP. I've never seen them at this price before.
Ended up ordering a pair because I'm curious. Might keep them if they are indeed worth 140 EUR (about the same as the HD 598) otherwise, back to Amazon they go.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #11,306 of 15,268
IMO, For bass lover, consider X2 drives by Oppo HA2 with bass boosted, however if want to feel more punchy, may be u can try mod Sony MDR-Z7 headphone with some hard and soft foam, Sony MDRZ7 will give inside ear cup steady bass vibration , crystal clear and sharpness treble without any distortion, feel like listen inside discotheque ) ;

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #11,307 of 15,268
Amazon.co.uk seems to have a promo on these. 116 GBP. I've never seen them at this price before.
Ended up ordering a pair because I'm curious. Might keep them if they are indeed worth 140 EUR (about the same as the HD 598) otherwise, back to Amazon they go.

The price has been reduced in the last few days but they're still not in stock. Not sure I want to buy and then wait 1-2 months for a pair...

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #11,308 of 15,268

Holy crap, that's a GREAT deal. I just wish I knew someone who was looking for open headphones.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #11,309 of 15,268
The price has been reduced in the last few days but they're still not in stock. Not sure I want to buy and then wait 1-2 months for a pair...

Yes, I noticed that, but I'm getting them mostly out of curiosity, so can wait. Will get the Z1R by mid-October and will be nice to compare them to the HD800S and X2. Sound like a weird comparison but I've seen multiple reviews daring compare the X2 to the original HD800 and considering it inferior but pretty good.

Heck, at this price I could buy 10 with the price of a single HD800S. And if the X2 are indeed that decent, sure won't mind taking a little step back and selling my HD800S to recover value. Philips has disappointed me many times before with audio products tho, so who knows...

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #11,310 of 15,268

Yes, I noticed that, but I'm getting them mostly out of curiosity, so can wait. Will get the Z1R by mid-October and will be nice to compare them to the HD800S and X2. Sound like a weird comparison but I've seen multiple reviews daring compare the X2 to the original HD800 and considering it inferior but pretty good.

Heck, at this price I could buy 10 with the price of a single HD800S. And if the X2 are indeed that decent, sure won't mind taking a little step back and selling my HD800S to recover value. Philips has disappointed me many times before with audio products tho, so who knows...

I noticed the lead time was huge also, so took a punt on a Very Good condition pair from the Warehouse Deals, apparently only one small blemish, box intact etc. They are coming tomorrow, so I will post up my findings and decide if they are keepers or not. Price was £105, so not a bad deal considering I was going to get the TX00 PH's for sale at the moment for £375 on Ebay / Headfi for sale thread. See if this can keep the upgrade bug away. Although I Demo'd some Shure 1540's at the weekend and they were very nice indeed. 
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back