Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #11,086 of 15,268
  So Sorry If this is a painfully repetitious question, however…

I am debating between the purchase of the Phillips Fidelio X’s1 and the Fidelio X2’s…
…and am soliciting the input/advice of those of you who have listened to/owned(?) both phones… and would be willing to compare/contrast their sonic qualities…(particularly with regard to frequency curve/response)

My preferred sound signature is of a robust/full deep-bass/mid-bass, as well as a lush lower mid-range/mid-range, with an aversion to sibilance…

I plan on using one or the other of these models for semi-casual listening, as well as to talk/listen hands-free on telephones, and therefor will probably use them in conjunction with the V-MODA boom mike.

I am also concerned about the issues with the ear-pads staining and/or their detachability/non-detachability…and wondering if/how these issues have   been resolved. 
I look forward to your input/feedback, and thank you in advance!

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #11,087 of 15,268
Hi everyone! I bought a par of X2's a while ago but returned them for all the issues I had with them like one earpad being thicker than the other and the sound feeling unbalanced.

I bought the HD598 instead and have now used those for a good while, but now I am wondering, are the issues with the X2 resolved now with recent models? I am talking about issues such as the glued pads issue and the one that I had where one pad was thicker than the other.

I would really like to buy a pair of these again but I am afraid that I will get a faulty pair again.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #11,088 of 15,268

I am debating between the purchase of the Phillips Fidelio X’s1 and the Fidelio X2’s…
…and am soliciting the input/advice of those of you who have listened to/owned(?) both phones… and would be willing to compare/contrast their sonic qualities…(particularly with regard to frequency curve/response)

My preferred sound signature is of a robust/full deep-bass/mid-bass, as well as a lush lower mid-range/mid-range, with an aversion to sibilance…

I plan on using one or the other of these models for semi-casual listening, as well as to talk/listen hands-free on telephones, and therefor will probably use them in conjunction with the V-MODA boom mike.

I am also concerned about the issues with the ear-pads staining and/or their detachability/non-detachability…and wondering if/how these issues have   been resolved. 

Whoops, retracted my post.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #11,089 of 15,268

The X1 complaints of having recessed midrange and treble were just wrong imo, the midrange detail and treble is fully there it's just "rolled off" yes the midrange is ever ever so slightly "rolled off" I'd say like the sennheiser hd650 but the 650's just roll off the treble.
The X1 sound very very similar to hd 650's to my ears (solid state amp)but with more bass perhaps a tad drier but only a tad, they wont match 650 on a real tube amp but will on lowto midrange solid state headphone amps some of the better solid state amps for 650's are pretty expensive.

Depends what you like I happen to like the rolled off treble sound but the X1 are discontinued and you'll have to glue on new pads in 5-10 years if you can live with that the x1 are superb imo.But steer clear if you prefer a crisp crystally treble and midrange bass hump they have incredible low end slam and soundstage and soon as you swap to other headphones you might miss that slam like me.

£170 or less for X1 I'd get them otherwise no as the X2 are often at £168

Hans Zimmer inception soundtrack is mind blowing on my x1 

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #11,090 of 15,268
Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I just want to confirm that, as of now, what I've found and understood from this thread is right.
It seems, in short, that the X1 offer a bit more clarity over the X2, while the latter model offers a bit more on the "fun" factor.

If I had to change a pair of Beyerdynamic COP with one of these, would any of you recommend the X2?
Usage is going to be mainly gaming and movie-watching, with the occasional power-metal listening session.
I tend to prefer "V-shaped" sound signatures, slightly emphasizing lows and highs.

Mainly, I'm concerned about 3 things:
1) I've read about quality control issues about them, especially when coming from Amazon (e.g. glue on the detachable earpads), and I have no other way of getting them. Did they iron those out or are they still there?
2) How much sound do they actually leak? I'll be on Discord/TS most of the times, and kinda don't want to scare the hell out of others at home when people occasionally yell at their monitors :D
3) Will they fit my head with the suspension-headband system they sport? I have a 7 3/4~7 5/8 hat size.
I'm changing the beyers exactly for that reason, as they do fit after being overstretched, but easily get uncomfortable after long sessions.

Looking forward to your answers. Thank you in advance!

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #11,091 of 15,268
  Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I just want to confirm that, as of now, what I've found and understood from this thread is right.
It seems, in short, that the X1 offer a bit more clarity over the X2, while the latter model offers a bit more on the "fun" factor.

If I had to change a pair of Beyerdynamic COP with one of these, would any of you recommend the X2?
Usage is going to be mainly gaming and movie-watching, with the occasional power-metal listening session.
I tend to prefer "V-shaped" sound signatures, slightly emphasizing lows and highs.

Mainly, I'm concerned about 3 things:
1) I've read about quality control issues about them, especially when coming from Amazon (e.g. glue on the detachable earpads), and I have no other way of getting them. Did they iron those out or are they still there?
2) How much sound do they actually leak? I'll be on Discord/TS most of the times, and kinda don't want to scare the hell out of others at home when people occasionally yell at their monitors :D
3) Will they fit my head with the suspension-headband system they sport? I have a 7 3/4~7 5/8 hat size.
I'm changing the beyers exactly for that reason, as they do fit after being overstretched, but easily get uncomfortable after long sessions.

Looking forward to your answers. Thank you in advance!

The X1's are more V-shaped than the X2's, though I wouldn't really consider the X1's v-shaped in the way some Beyers can be. 

In terms of quality control, I believe the newer stock of X2's now have non-glued pads. Of course all X1's have glued pads by design. Amazon has a good return policy, so that's the best place to order from. 

They are open headphones, so they will leak sound, but I did find that both leak less than HD600's for example. Unless it's a very quiet environment with people close-by or you listen very loudly it probably won't be a big issue in terms of sound bothering others. Of course they don't offer much isolation at all, so you'll also hear outside sounds. If it's a real concern either way, I'd suggest closed headphones

The X2's have a bigger headband than the X1's, so they might be more comfortable 

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #11,093 of 15,268
Quote:
To all current X2 owners, have the quality control issues been ironed out?
Was considering buying a pair as a upgrade from my Hd558.
Mostly listen to rock, metal, alternative, techno and plan to game on then. (single player games)

I know just one person isn't enough to consider something trustable, but I had the same doubt and he answered already.

In terms of quality control, I believe the newer stock of X2's now have non-glued pads. Of course all X1's have glued pads by design. Amazon has a good return policy, so that's the best place to order from.

I've also googled a bit on my own, and it seems that everybody goes by the fact that all the new stock comes with non-glued pads, regardless of the manufacturer being Woox or Gibson, so what he's saying is most likely true.
As far as QC goes, it was the only bad thing I've read around the internet, don't know if there's anything else.
Personally, I just have to take a decision whether to drop those 270€ via amazon or not :D

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #11,094 of 15,268
X2 is the successor of X1 not by accident. X2 might have slightly less bass quantity compared to X1, but the sound is more balanced and refined compared to X1. Bass on X1 gets boomy easier. They both leak sound being opened back headphones.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #11,097 of 15,268
  X2 is the successor of X1 not by accident. X2 might have slightly less bass quantity compared to X1, but the sound is more balanced and refined compared to X1. Bass on X1 gets boomy easier. They both leak sound being opened back headphones.

In addition to that, there's no way X2 is more v-shaped than X1 as someone stated above.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #11,098 of 15,268

What I'd like to know is: how much sound do they actually leak? So far, it's the only thing keeping me from placing an order for them
I've managed to find videos for the Sennheiser HD 598s, for example, which made me avoid their purchase; youtube isn't an accurate representation, I know, but it can give a general idea of how much sound people around you will hear and at what volume.

Haven't had any luck for the X2s, as most reviews just plainly praise/criticize the headphones for the most various reasons while still saying it's a good set anyway, but none actually give an idea of how much sound they're leaking. If they leak so much that people hear what I'm listening to or what my teammates are saying while gaming from the next room, they're not for me :p

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #11,099 of 15,268

What I'd like to know is: how much sound do they actually leak? So far, it's the only thing keeping me from placing an order for them
I've managed to find videos for the Sennheiser HD 598s, for example, which made me avoid their purchase; youtube isn't an accurate representation, I know, but it can give a general idea of how much sound people around you will hear and at what volume.

Haven't had any luck for the X2s, as most reviews just plainly praise/criticize the headphones for the most various reasons while still saying it's a good set anyway, but none actually give an idea of how much sound they're leaking. If they leak so much that people hear what I'm listening to or what my teammates are saying while gaming from the next room, they're not for me :p

IMO all opened back headphones leak sound pretty much the same way. The experience depends on listening volume obviously. I would say at a good medium volume it is clearly audible in a room, what someone is listening to using opened headphones. It is no different with X2s too. You might want to look for closed back, or at least semi-closed if this is an important factor for you.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #11,100 of 15,268
IMO all opened back headphones leak sound pretty much the same way. The experience depends on listening volume obviously. I would say at a good medium volume it is clearly audible in a room, what someone is listening to using opened headphones. It is no different with X2s too. You might want to look for closed back, or at least semi-closed if this is an important factor for you.
Second this.
Useally in my experience (HD 558s here) people from the next room over don't hear noise unless I put it at higher volumes,its pretty much a given that people in the same room will hear what you listen too.
Actually thinking of getting a closed set for situations like that. (maybe the akg 545)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back