Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 10, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #11,071 of 15,268
Hi Lukas.
Cutting out the protective mesh won't affect the drivers but the sound might slightly change with the cloth removed.
I also recommend the Bass pads (aka old Woox pads) unless you already have them. Ebay phillips x2 padsand see how you like them
smily_headphones1.gif

will the sound be more clear?1

im loving everything about the X2 expect the clarity..its good but it could use more calrity

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #11,072 of 15,268

im loving everything about the X2 expect the clarity..its good but it could use more calrity

Removing the mesh might improve clarity.
This is interesting though as I find clarity to be one of their fortes. You might want the Bass pads first. That would make a bigger difference if anything :)

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #11,073 of 15,268

What's your source?

Removing the mesh would only make minimal (if any) change.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #11,074 of 15,268
I find they sound better from a Neutral amp than a warmish one being a little bit warm in the signature themselves.

You won't get the same clarity as something like the HE400s which I also have at around the same price though as
I found the mids on those to be that Headphones strong point and maybe the X2 weak point (all though the X2 mids are by no means bad IMO).

Amp/Source needed really to make any more comments.

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #11,075 of 15,268
The X2 does have better SS, bass and detail retrieval IMO. 400S strength is in the midrange and its smoothness :)

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #11,076 of 15,268
When I want clarity, I wear my HD600. X2 strengths lie elsewhere.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #11,077 of 15,268
  Picked up the Fidelio x2 and I'm loving them for gaming/music. I've been looking into an Amp/DAC setup though it's not needed, I'm still wondering if I can push just a little more out of them. Does anyone have recommendations on what Amps/DACs have a sound signature that compliments the x2s? 

On a side note, I've run into issues with my Fidelio x2s + VModa BoomPro combo with Amp/DACs - currently using the FiiO e10k, however I get static whenever I plug the microphone port in due to it causing a ground loop - those who run this combo, how do you avoid a ground loop while using an Amp/DAC setup with the BoomPro?

I've looked into ground loop isolators like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, however from my experience with this setup (MoBo > USB cable > FiiO e10k > Ground Loop Isolator on headphone in > VModaBoomPro Cable (Headphone side) > Fidelio x2s // and VModaBoomPro Cable (Microphone side) into the headphone jack of my MoBo.

I have the exact same setup running running the x2s with a BoomPro through a Soundblaster X7 into my PS4. Had a bit of static initially and noticed that it cleared up when I turned down the volume on the Boompro volume/mute switch. It was set way too high. Don't know if that's the same issue you're having, but give it a shot. These things sound fantastic now. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #11,078 of 15,268

A good DAC can improve clarity to some extent.
But if you want significantly more clarity, then you have to spend significantly more money on headphones.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #11,079 of 15,268
  When I want clarity, I wear my HD600. X2 strengths lie elsewhere.

ha..i suppose your right, guess i will be using X2 for (fun) sound signature as well for gaming/movies.

i have other Headphones for more clarity and transparency like Grado sr225e and Philips own SHP9500(cant believe these are less than 100$..)

anyway..thanks everyone for your replies and advises..

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #11,081 of 15,268
The X2 does have better SS, bass and detail retrieval IMO. 400S strength is in the midrange and its smoothness
smily_headphones1.gif

We will have to agree to disagree on this then but it's all about preference in the end. :wink:
X2  More bass, Wider soundstage.

If more means better to you then that's down to preference which is fine. I prefer better quality soundstage/imaging and I would argue detail is also better
with the 400S. Those are the the first things I notice when I switch between them :wink:

I have to Fiio X3 ver 2 player that Blazer39 has though I don't use it too often.

I you are looking for a similar sound signature but more clarity I am not sure spending more on amp/dac will solve your wish.
I took a chance on the HE400s for the same reason with the X2 which I have had for a year or so as I wanted a better midrange for vocals
and the clarity in the mids and bought the DFR to go with it and I am very happy with them.

My next choice would have been the DT1770 Beyers but at £400 I wasn't willing to take the chance.

Did that with the HE400 a while ago and regretted it heh.

Happy listening anyway !

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #11,082 of 15,268
 @Foofoobanana
Sounds like you're agreeing for the most part with @conquerator2. But I do agree with you on the details of the HE400s being better. And we all know how smooth the mids of the HE400s is. For the price it is just amazing, but it really falls flat when it comes to the really low end. It was a major disappointment for my first planar phones. The older HE400 is so much better in that regard.
Btw, IMO there's nothing wrong with the quality of soundstage/imaging with the X2. You won't believe how many times I looked at my speakers on my desk as if they were on.
The X2 doesn't have the widest soundstage (AKG7XX, HD800 are wide), but it does have good depth. And there's something that's just so convincing about its soundstage.

FYI, I have the X2 paired with a Valhalla 2/Bimby, which is an amazing pair IMO. When I first tried the X2 with the Valhalla 2 at a local meet, it was an ear opening moment (I did have the X2 prior to the meet).

Anyways, back to the subject.
I have to agree, if you want more clarity, it probably is a better investment to look into new cans than an amp/dac.

And anybody, please let me know if there's a direct upgrade to the X2. I just can't find any that has all the strengths of the X2 with better detail and other qualities of a higher end phone. I keep hearing the Foxtex Th-X00, but from what I heard and read it just doesn't have the soundstage.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #11,083 of 15,268
   @Foofoobanana
Sounds like you're agreeing for the most part with @conquerator2. But I do agree with you on the details of the HE400s being better. And we all know how smooth the mids of the HE400s. For the price it is just amazing, but it really falls flat when it comes to the really low end. It was a major disappointment for my first planar phones. The older HE400 is so much better in that regard.
Btw, IMO there's nothing wrong with the quality of soundstage/imaging with the X2. You won't believe how many times I looked at my speakers on my desk as if they were on.
The X2 doesn't have the widest soundstage (AKG7XX, HD800 are wide), but it does have good depth. And there's something that's just so convincing about its soundstage.

FYI, I have the X2 paired with a Valhalla 2/Bimby, which is an amazing pair IMO. When I first tried the X2 with the Valhalla 2 at a local meet, it was an ear opening moment (I did have the X2 prior to the meet).

Anyways, back to the subject.
I have to agree, if you want more clarity, it probably is a better investment to look into new cans than an amp/dac.

And anybody, please let me know if there's a direct upgrade to the X2. I just can't find any that has all the strengths of the X2 with better detail and other qualities of a higher end phone. I keep hearing the Foxtex Th-X00, but from what I heard and read it just doesn't have the soundstage.

X2: fun, bass, soundstage, does have a quality (Hi-Fi) impression of sound, fantastic headphones, source of lot of joy for the money :)

400s: more natural, much more neutral and flat. bass is painfully missing, but midrange is class above X2, HD600 level in that regard. maybe slightly more details than X2, but I found it very boring and 'empty' in comparison. (unless you want it for vocal or acoustic music, but in that case I would still choose HD600 over 400s.

X00: financially a step forward, and being semi-closed does have smaller soundstage than X2. bass on the other hand is waaay better than X2 (which has a fair amount of bass for an opened back can) bass extends much deeper (20Hz as present as 120Hz) the detail and resolution just blows X2 away. much more fun listening experience than X2, indeed a step above.

I really liked my X2, for more than a year it was my main headphone. I did worry about loosing openness and soundstage when purchased X00, but X00 sounds just so much better overall, I do not regret selling my X2s. Personal experience, obviously.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #11,084 of 15,268
  X2: fun, bass, soundstage, does have a quality (Hi-Fi) impression of sound, fantastic headphones, source of lot of joy for the money :)

400s: more natural, much more neutral and flat. bass is painfully missing, but midrange is class above X2, HD600 level in that regard. maybe slightly more details than X2, but I found it very boring and 'empty' in comparison. (unless you want it for vocal or acoustic music, but in that case I would still choose HD600 over 400s.

X00: financially a step forward, and being semi-closed does have smaller soundstage than X2. bass on the other hand is waaay better than X2 (which has a fair amount of bass for an opened back can) bass extends much deeper (20Hz as present as 120Hz) the detail and resolution just blows X2 away. much more fun listening experience than X2, indeed a step above.

I really liked my X2, for more than a year it was my main headphone. I did worry about loosing openness and soundstage when purchased X00, but X00 sounds just so much better overall, I do not regret selling my X2s. Personal experience, obviously.

I went from the X2s to the X00s and my findings are pretty much the same, the sacrifice in terms of soundstage is more than made up for in overall sound quality

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #11,085 of 15,268
I agree to that post, save for the X00, cause I haven't heard it.
If one is looking for a more reference kinda sound, the K7XX is a clear recommendation and the MA900, which I love for its magical midrange and big, airy sound :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back