Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #11,101 of 15,268

In addition to that, there's no way X2 is more v-shaped than X1 as someone stated above.

You're right, I meant to say the opposite. Changed now

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11,103 of 15,268
Anyone tried the X2 and Hd558 (foam mod) side by side?

I haven't tried HD558, but telling you blindly X2 is probably better for almost everything. I owned HD600, and apart of vocal or acoustic instrument music I would choose X2 over HD600 any day, mainly for the bass and the 'meatier' sound.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #11,104 of 15,268
Re-open - I use my three current open headphones on the go as well, incl. the X2. I listen relatively quiet [my standasrd listening level range ~70dB, never above 80dB] and I don't try to overpower the ambience. Ideal for walks,e etc, though the X2 can get a bit sweaty at times if it is warmer outside. No problem in a cooled room.The MA900 is more comfy IMO, the K7XX stands a bit below [because clamp, but I ordered some angled pads to remedy :]]

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #11,107 of 15,268

What I'd like to know is: how much sound do they actually leak? So far, it's the only thing keeping me from placing an order for them
I've managed to find videos for the Sennheiser HD 598s, for example, which made me avoid their purchase; youtube isn't an accurate representation, I know, but it can give a general idea of how much sound people around you will hear and at what volume.

Haven't had any luck for the X2s, as most reviews just plainly praise/criticize the headphones for the most various reasons while still saying it's a good set anyway, but none actually give an idea of how much sound they're leaking. If they leak so much that people hear what I'm listening to or what my teammates are saying while gaming from the next room, they're not for me :p

X2's leak a lot, but sound pretty fantastic for their price and intended purpose (bass and good soundstage). For a more neutral pair of HP in roughly the same price range, K7XX fits the bill nicely and also has good soundstage. I never loved K7XX though.....and I have no concrete reason for that, they don't do anything "wrong". I just didn't feel magic from them *shrug*.

I hate to say it, because I loathe my pair......but the Sennheiser PC350SE would be silent to the people around you, being a closed HP, and the soundstage is the most freakishly wide I've ever heard!

But their ONLY purpose would be for gaming, and I definitely recommend an amp to drive them since they're 120 Ohms or so, if I recall. If you try them for music, you'll likely snatch them off your head in disgust, as I did. Yes, they're THAT horrible for music. All types of music, and all volume levels are equally terrible.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #11,108 of 15,268
  X2's leak a lot, but sound pretty fantastic for their price and intended purpose (bass and good soundstage). For a more neutral pair of HP in roughly the same price range, K7XX fits the bill nicely and also has good soundstage. I never loved K7XX though.....and I have no concrete reason for that, they don't do anything "wrong". I just didn't feel magic from them *shrug*.

I hate to say it, because I loathe my pair......but the Sennheiser PC350SE would be silent to the people around you, being a closed HP, and the soundstage is the most freakishly wide I've ever heard!

But their ONLY purpose would be for gaming, and I definitely recommend an amp to drive them since they're 120 Ohms or so, if I recall. If you try them for music, you'll likely snatch them off your head in disgust, as I did. Yes, they're THAT horrible for music. All types of music, and all volume levels are equally terrible.

Even knowing that audio is a subjective matter, it's actually weird to hear bad things about a Sennheiser pair for once, regardless of their target usage :D
In any case, decent over-ear AKGs are hard to come by where I live (K7XX are unavailable, for example), and I don't really like the feel of their headband (I've tried a couple models at local stores).

Back on topic tho. I guess getting a better idea about how much sound they leak is only possible after I buy and try them on my own.
Thank you for the feedback.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #11,109 of 15,268

Even knowing that audio is a subjective matter, it's actually weird to hear bad things about a Sennheiser pair for once, regardless of their target usage :D
In any case, decent over-ear AKGs are hard to come by where I live (K7XX are unavailable, for example), and I don't really like the feel of their headband (I've tried a couple models at local stores).

Back on topic tho. I guess getting a better idea about how much sound they leak is only possible after I buy and try them on my own.
Thank you for the feedback.

Haha thanks! My short review on the PC350SE explains it a little better.....but more to the point, it's not just my ears, another user confirmed my impressions in the comments.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-pc-350-special-edition-noise-blocking-gaming-headset/reviews/15235

My HD600's are great, and worthy of the general praise heaped in their direction :) But Sennheiser *IS* certainly capable of releasing a stinker of a product as well, and regrettably I have the physical proof >.<

If it makes you feel any better, X2 would be my personal choice in its' price range, paired with a V-Moda Boom Pro mic for gaming. The other gamers in your household can either turn their own volumes up, or learn to deal with it :p

Oh, and regarding the QC issues reported with X2........if you have a "good" pair, you'll know it within the first 15 seconds of hearing music through them :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #11,110 of 15,268
Anyone tried the X2 and Hd558 (foam mod) side by side?

I haven't tried HD558, but telling you blindly X2 is probably better for almost everything. I owned HD600, and apart of vocal or acoustic instrument music I would choose X2 over HD600 any day, mainly for the bass and the 'meatier' sound.

I own both a foam modded hd558 and the X2 and imo betula is right, the X2 is better in every aspect.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #11,111 of 15,268
  Hmmm...please explain this "foam mod" for the X2...(or where I can go to find it),...and this might just be what the doctor ordered with regard to the sonic signature...  :)  ...  Thank you!

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #11,114 of 15,268
HELP!!! -------------- Becoming less certain regarding choices...

Ok, about a week ago I queried the sonic character, and advantages/disadvantages of the Fidelio X1's vs. the Fidelio X2's...as well as the Hx. of issues/problems concerning them and if/how they have been resolved.

NOW I am learning that TWO separate entities, (manufacturers(?)), have been/are currently(?) manufacturing the X2's... My rather vague, current understanding is that the woox version is the problematic one, and the Gibson version is essentially problem free and sounds great...???...

PLEASE confirm or deny that I am understanding this correctly...?...and if not, please educate me further...???...

If in fact the Gibson version(?) is the Fidelio X2 headphone to purchase, how do I go about Identifying, locating, purchasing and verifying THAT version... Thank you ALL in advance, I REALLY would like to try this headphone, however, with ALL the concerns expressed, I certainly do NOT want to mistakenly purchase a poor product...(one that Philips would regret manufacturing/selling...)

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #11,115 of 15,268
Woox is the original manufacturer of the X2s. Now Gibson handles it. That's when the glued pads started to become standard, but allegedly isn't the case anymore. I believe all current X2s still have "Woox" on the headband but if the box says "Gibson" then it's been made by Gibson. I wouldn't use that as an indicator of whether or not you have a good pair though. A lot of people have gotten new pairs that were just fine and devoid of any QC issues. Just buy from Amazon or another site with a good return policy and give it a shot. You'll be able to notice if there's something like a channel imbalance, pads bleeding ink or a cosmetic issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back