Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #11,116 of 15,268
  HELP!!! -------------- Becoming less certain regarding choices...

Ok, about a week ago I queried the sonic character, and advantages/disadvantages of the Fidelio X1's vs. the Fidelio X2's...as well as the Hx. of issues/problems concerning them and if/how they have been resolved.

NOW I am learning that TWO separate entities, (manufacturers(?)), have been/are currently(?) manufacturing the X2's... My rather vague, current understanding is that the woox version is the problematic one, and the Gibson version is essentially problem free and sounds great...???...

PLEASE confirm or deny that I am understanding this correctly...?...and if not, please educate me further...???...

If in fact the Gibson version(?) is the Fidelio X2 headphone to purchase, how do I go about Identifying, locating, purchasing and verifying THAT version... Thank you ALL in advance, I REALLY would like to try this headphone, however, with ALL the concerns expressed, I certainly do NOT want to mistakenly purchase a poor product...(one that Philips would regret manufacturing/selling...)

Two things happened during the manufacturing history of the X2's:

1. Woox was owned by Philips and they sold it to Gibson, so early X2s are marked as manufactured by Woox, and later X2s by Gibson. 

2. Early X2's had easily removable pads, then at some point they were switched to having glued pads (still removable with care), and now they're back to having non-glued pads.

#2 happened while they were still being made by Woox, continued with Gibson for a while, and has recently been reversed on the newer Gibson batches. 

I personally had a Woox pair with glued pads, misaligned lettering and a slight channel imbalance. My second Woox pair also had glued pads but no imbalance. I've also heard a friends glued Gibsons, they sounded exactly the same. 

I think the difference between Woox and Gibson was overblown. I don't believe there is any inherent difference in sound signature or overall quality. If you're worried about it, I'd suggest buying from Amazon since they have a good return policy

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #11,117 of 15,268
Currently there is no difference.
WOOX no longer makes them but the recent models made by Gibson are up to the same atandard.
The best indicator are the pads. WOOX pads seal better and have firmer attachment. They are slightly thinner and darker black. Gibson pads are lighter / a bit grayer but also thicker.
I find the WOOX sonically prefferable and they are the Bass pads on Ebay. AFAIK, Gibson pads can't be purchased separately.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #11,118 of 15,268
Are the Woox pads those bass pads from the Chinese seller for $43?  That's pretty obscene.  I'm curious though if the fabric is much different.  Coming from DT770s I find the comfort on these pads pretty lousy.  It isn't bad by any stretch, but the DT770s had such a soft plush velour and these are just scruffy cheap feeling velvet (tho I don't find them itchy like some posters).

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11,119 of 15,268
Yes, they are the Bass pads.
The feel is similar to the Gibson pads but acousticaly the WOOX is better to my ears.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11,120 of 15,268
The feel is similar to the Gibson pads but acousticaly the WOOX is better to my ears.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #11,121 of 15,268

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #11,123 of 15,268
hey guys, i just saw Z's fidelio X1 review, (just released yesterdeay  :D) and in his video he says that the fidelio x1 and x2 are pretty much exactly the same besides color....i am treble sensitive and prefer a warmer sound like the HD650, and i always read that the x2 is more V shaped and the x1 is more warm....so what do i believe?? should i go for the x1 or the x2? 

also i am 27 years old and suffer from crippling depression which im sure causes me to age faster, and i do want to die cus i realize now that i am all alone in teh world and there is no god or heaven or angel girlfriend - but im guessing it wont be long til my ears age more, so after my ears age more and i lose higher frequency hearing, does that mean i wont be as treble senstive anymore? 

also how is the fit of the fidelio x1/x2 compared to the k7xx? i had problems with the bottom of the ear pads on the k7xx digging into my jaw to the point where i could not wear them...so would i have the same issue with the fidelio or do they sit higher up? 

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #11,124 of 15,268
Get an X2. It's more refined.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #11,125 of 15,268
  hey guys, i just saw Z's fidelio X1 review, (just released yesterdeay  :D) and in his video he says that the fidelio x1 and x2 are pretty much exactly the same besides color....i am treble sensitive and prefer a warmer sound like the HD650, and i always read that the x2 is more V shaped and the x1 is more warm....so what do i believe?? should i go for the x1 or the x2? 

also i am 27 years old and suffer from crippling depression which im sure causes me to age faster, and i do want to die cus i realize now that i am all alone in teh world and there is no god or heaven or angel girlfriend - but im guessing it wont be long til my ears age more, so after my ears age more and i lose higher frequency hearing, does that mean i wont be as treble senstive anymore? 

also how is the fit of the fidelio x1/x2 compared to the k7xx? i had problems with the bottom of the ear pads on the k7xx digging into my jaw to the point where i could not wear them...so would i have the same issue with the fidelio or do they sit higher up? 

Depression is temporary, but well-built headphones can last forever!  

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #11,127 of 15,268
I had the X1 and currently own the X2.

Main differences I found were the X2 has a little less quantity of bass but better quality (less midbass too), cleaner mids and treble a little cleaner/less ragged.

Differences are not huge though.

The X2 also has a larger headband which I why I swapped from the X1, it was just too small to get a good seal/comfort on my big noggin.  =)

Both great Headphones though.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #11,129 of 15,268
I've just ordered another pair of X2's as I'm not happy with the HD650's sound. I sold my last X2's as I couldn't get on with the weight of them however the X2's just sounded so much better for me than the HD650's.

I've currently got a Vali with a Magni 2 on the way as I wasn't sure I wanted the relaxed sound of the Vali and would prefer the energetic Magni 2. However I've seen a few people, including MLE, suggesting the Vali is a great pairing with the X2's. So I guess I'll try both and maybe return the Magni if the Vali is indeed better.

I own the HD650 and got my girlfriend the X2s for Christmas.

You made the right choice. A little bit of etch and treble graininess is worth it for the way the X2s engage.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,130 of 15,268
  hi guys whats a good step up from the x2 for under $1k w/ similar sound signature? 

Everyone seems to point to the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 as a proper semi-closed upgrade to the X2. What it lacks in soundstage it makes up for in refinement. Personally, I don't see getting rid of my X2s even after upgrading to the TH-X00, but don't quote me on that as I've yet to get my pair but I love the cable options and open-back nature of the X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back