Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 31, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #11,146 of 15,268
How is the bass on these compared to M100's?

I have both.
M-100 is more forward and the bass slams harder. I don't think you gain or lose in terms of resolution bass wise.

Edit: Listening to the two right now. M-100 is no slouch, but you lose this sense of airiness that you have with the X2 in exchange for a very expensive bass presentation that can rattle your very skull if it's EDM or strike you if you are listening to cello/double bass. X2 is not as forward, but the bass remains very focused. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #11,147 of 15,268
Edit: Listening to the two right now. M-100 is no slouch, but you lose this sense of airiness that you have with the X2 in exchange for a very expensive bass presentation that can rattle your very skull if it's EDM or strike you if you are listening to cello/double bass. X2 is not as forward, but the bass remains very focused. 

Awesome, thank you. So with the M100's you gain punchy bass but lose some of that special presence you have with the X2's. Decisions decisions...

Which do you prefer for hip-hop and EDM?

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #11,148 of 15,268
Awesome, thank you. So with the M100's you gain punchy bass but lose some of that special presence you have with the X2's. Decisions decisions...

Which do you prefer for hip-hop and EDM?

Hope it is ok to chime in.
I owned both the M100s and X2s. X00s have far more superior bass than both of them IMO.

M100s have big, rumbling bass, but sounds very closed and not too detailed compared to the other two. (Good portable option though.)
X2s have great bass for an 'open back' headphone. Much less quantity than the two others. More resolution than M100 but less than X00s. Also rolls off much earlier.
X00s have the best extension, resolution and detail, while keeping all the joy you can get from bass listening to EDM.
I have to mention the difference is more obvious with better DACs.
I mostly listen to EDM.

EDIT:
Sorry, I haven't realized I am in the X2 thread. I thought, I am writing in the X00 thread.

Between M100 and X2 I personally would choose X2, because except the bass quantity X2 is better in every way. Unless you want something portable.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #11,149 of 15,268
I just received the bass plus cushions, I figured it's good to have replacement pads, considering I use the fidelio X2 up to ~16h a day. 
Costed me ~34€ for one pair + 3€ for shipping in Europe.

Surprisingly, they were at first hard to put on the headphone.
I believe they need some time to adjust because they are new, because after that, I removed them and re-putted them on the X2 with ease
biggrin.gif

The sound seemed the same for the little time I put them on.
Now they are back in a box, as a replacement.
biggrin.gif

Comparing them to my original one, they really seem to be the same pads. (I have a woox pair).
My old ones seem softer, but I believe it's because I used my original pads a lot. I remember being harder the first time I used the X2 (and I also bought the X2 used - as new - because it was out of stock at the time lol).

I'm very happy about this purchase
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
and ofc, after 1.5 years, still very happy about this headphone 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #11,150 of 15,268

Hope it is ok to chime in.
I owned both the M100s and X2s. X00s have far more superior bass than both of them IMO.

M100s have big, rumbling bass, but sounds very closed and not too detailed compared to the other two. (Good portable option though.)
X2s have great bass for an 'open back' headphone. Much less quantity than the two others. More resolution than M100 but less than X00s. Also rolls off much earlier.
X00s have the best extension, resolution and detail, while keeping all the joy you can get from bass listening to EDM.
I have to mention the difference is more obvious with better DACs.
I mostly listen to EDM.

EDIT:
Sorry, I haven't realized I am in the X2 thread. I thought, I am writing in the X00 thread.

Between M100 and X2 I personally would choose X2, because except the bass quantity X2 is better in every way. Unless you want something portable.

I got a question about the X00. When you compare it with the X2, can the X00 match the soundstage of the X2? It is a closed set after all. Many people have commented on how accurate the sound is and how that they can stand shoulder to shoulder against the big boys, but what I don't know is whether or not I should go for that or the LCD-2 or something along that line?

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #11,151 of 15,268

I got a question about the X00. When you compare it with the X2, can the X00 match the soundstage of the X2? It is a closed set after all. Many people have commented on how accurate the sound is and how that they can stand shoulder to shoulder against the big boys, but what I don't know is whether or not I should go for that or the LCD-2 or something along that line?

In my opinion - no, the X00 cannot match the X2 soundstage.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #11,152 of 15,268
  In my opinion - no, the X00 cannot match the X2 soundstage.

I concur, I'd say that's the one area where the X2 is clearly superior

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #11,153 of 15,268

No closed or semi-closed headphones can match the soundstage of an opened-back pair. This is the case with X00s and X2s too. However in almost every other aspect X00s are superior to X2s. (Bass, refinement, details.) I have no experience with LCDs.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #11,155 of 15,268
If someone's looking for a pair, my near mint set is currently for sale 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #11,157 of 15,268
  How much? Gibson or Woox?

Also...

Just ordered a pair without the original box. Any way to tell if they're gibson or woox besides glue on the pads?

Not that I'm aware of :/ It's mostly the box that tells you..even some late Woox pairs were glued, according to what I've read (much) earlier in this thread.

And if someone suggests looking for "Woox" under the headband, they're wrong. My Gibson pair also shows Woox in that spot.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #11,158 of 15,268
  Not that I'm aware of :/ It's mostly the box that tells you..even some late Woox pairs were glued, according to what I've read (much) earlier in this thread.

And if someone suggests looking for "Woox" under the headband, they're wrong. My Gibson pair also shows Woox in that spot.

damn it... well mine supposedly have no glue. is that a good sign? Is there a chance the seller removed all the glue to make them seem like they never had glue, or is that highly unlikely without damage.

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #11,159 of 15,268
  damn it... well mine supposedly have no glue. is that a good sign? Is there a chance the seller removed all the glue to make them seem like they never had glue, or is that highly unlikely without damage.

Well, first of all, the whole "Woox vs Gibson" thing is overblown, IMO. If you have a good pair of X2's, you'll know it within the first 30 seconds of listening to them :)

And sure, removing all the glue is possible. Frustrating, but possible..it's really tough stuff! It took me around 20 minutes of scraping with a fingernail to remove about 75% of what came on my pair. And I called that good enough LOL.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #11,160 of 15,268
  Well, first of all, the whole "Woox vs Gibson" thing is overblown, IMO. If you have a good pair of X2's, you'll know it within the first 30 seconds of listening to them :)

And sure, removing all the glue is possible. Frustrating, but possible..it's really tough stuff! It took me around 20 minutes of scraping with a fingernail to remove about 75% of what came on my pair. And I called that good enough LOL.

But people are claiming that people who never heard good x2's wouldn't know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back