Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #11,131 of 15,268
Everyone seems to point to the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 as a proper semi-closed upgrade to the X2. What it lacks in soundstage it makes up for in refinement. Personally, I don't see getting rid of my X2s even after upgrading to the TH-X00, but don't quote me on that as I've yet to get my pair but I love the cable options and open-back nature of the X2.

IMO, the X2 and the TH-X00 are on the same plane. I have both, and would have a hard time deciding which one to keep, if I had to chose. Would choose the X2 with my current amps; would keep the x00 if I made a big jump in DAC's/amps.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #11,132 of 15,268
Headphones are already compromising on soundstage , no matter of which brand, so compromising it even further won't worth any other alleged upgrade IMO. YMMV.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #11,134 of 15,268
I just got myself the X2 from Tavilyn. 
I can't compare them to phones of their price bracket. I think more in LCD-2, T1, HD800, HD600 and HD650 as what this thing should be pitted against. 
These aren't honest. They can talk sweet nothing if you feed them bad tracks (I have. I tried them using a 3DS) while being just outright persuasive if given higher quality music source. 
They gladly play with whatever dac/amp available. 

Warm is not the word for me to describe the X2, nor is it sibilant. She doesn't have an enormous soundstage, doesn't have superb resolution, doesn't have a hair-raising treble, doesn't have a bass that rocks you to the core. No. X2 doesn't force anything on you. 
Her ability to present music holistically scares me actually. It's all too easy to keep listening on the X2 and forget about how you are looking for certain frequency that you would've focused on in critical listening. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #11,135 of 15,268
Folks, any alternative low budget substitute for the X2 sound? I don't want to keep using them everyday in the blistering Indian summer here and spoil the ear pads early.

Thanks

where i come from the weather gets really hot on summer too(so humid..) but i don't have problem with X2 since i use them indoor only with air conditioning on.

the X2 are design for indoor use..if you wanna listen to music outdoor then use IEMs..

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #11,136 of 15,268
I currently default to my Westone 4R for any music where I want clarity. I haven't tried to get a pair of headphones that possess the same level of clarity yet. 
I do like the sound that T1 and fazer ver. of LCD-2 can bring, maybe T1 more because I am used to IEM like sound signature. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #11,137 of 15,268
where i come from the weather gets really hot on summer too(so humid..) but i don't have problem with X2 since i use them indoor only with air conditioning on.

the X2 are design for indoor use..if you wanna listen to music outdoor then use IEMs..

Dear friend,I never mentioned using the X2 outside. In fact, I would say that trying to use an open back headphone outside your home is pointless, not to mention potentially harmful.

I currently use my RHA T20 outside and on the go, but I keep getting attracted to full size cans, even my Sony MDR 100 AAP I prefer over the T20's.

I hope you get my query now, thanks again.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #11,138 of 15,268
Folks, any alternative low budget substitute for the X2 sound? I don't want to keep using them everyday in the blistering Indian summer here and spoil the ear pads early.

Thanks

I haven't tried them, but Zeos seems to like these Pioneer's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9WteWGTc0

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #11,139 of 15,268
I wear all my open headphones uotside. On the contrary, you can hear ambient noise so safer than closed in that sense :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #11,140 of 15,268
I wear all my open headphones uotside. On the contrary, you can hear ambient noise so safer than closed in that sense :)

Well that's true, but I guess you won't be hearing the headphone's true potential then, eh?

Anyway, I personally consider it dangerous to wear an open can outside, especially when on the go, even an IEM. I use them mainly while static inside a metro, or flight, or any such commute.

And yes, its good that safety should come first. Cheers to that, and happy listening!

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #11,142 of 15,268
Well that's true, but I guess you won't be hearing the headphone's true potential then, eh?

Anyway, I personally consider it dangerous to wear an open can outside, especially when on the go, even an IEM. I use them mainly while static inside a metro, or flight, or any such commute.

And yes, its good that safety should come first. Cheers to that, and happy listening!

No, not its full potential but still good sound. Great for walking and hiking, less so for noisy commuting but all things considered, open headphones grant most awareness,closed a bit and IEM the less so they are most dangerous in that sense. With open headphones I don't listen loud so I came to accept ambient noise as part of it, in exchange for safety :)

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #11,143 of 15,268
The problem with non-isolating headphones outside it that you'd have to crank up the volume to dangerous levels.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #11,144 of 15,268
I accept background noise as part of it, I don't crank it up :)
But not everyone does and it depends on how loud it is I guess.
But that's just my strategy. A car is not running me over :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back