Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #7,876 of 15,268
Geez my X2 had the glue when I replaced the pads but I guess they are fine now. The replacement pads seem secure. I might stop reading this thread because it's getting me paranoid - bad smells, ink bleed etc. they emit some smell when I put my nose right against the pad but it's not something I am inclined to do on a consistent basis. It is feeling like I bought a radioactive device when I read comments. I suppose the easy answer is just return them and find another brand. I guess there is a reluctance to let go because they sound so great.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #7,877 of 15,268
  A bit off topic, but..
Does a DAC provide that much of a impact to a pair of headphone?
I know it's a bit difficult to answer, but if you were in my shoes, will you
1) buy a DAC and use it with existing NAD HP50 or
2) buy a X2 and drive it naked (directly from Mac)?
On one hand, I would like to get the X2 for a different sound characteristic (based on what I read, a more 'fun' sound).
On the other hand, a few people mentioned the importance of DAC and how it would change the sound..

If only funds are unlimited, there's no need to choose. But back to reality, where funds are somewhat limited, I'm somewhat stuck in between right now.

It really depends on the source. I can't speak for Mac, but the soundcard in my laptop is mediocre at best and my x2 wouldn't be at their best (I use a Fiio X3 Gen 1). Probably the same situation with a smartphone. It may sound fine, but an DAC/Amp should bring out the best of just about any headphone.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7,878 of 15,268
Well, it took a couple hours before I could post this. Apparently after I opened the box the toxic fumes rendered me unconscious. When I awoken dazed and confused (and a bit hungry) I saw a small packet on the floor that said 'Silica Gel'. I was like cool I am a bit hungry. So while snacking on the Silica Gel pack I scratch my ear only to find my fingers were black! I then picked up the headphones for closer examination. I did not see any issues with the finish so I proceeded to try to remove one of the ear pads. I pulled and pulled but, nothing happened! After locating a crow bar in my garage I managed to slowly pry it lose. I looked in-between the ear pad and headphone as it was separating only to see glue and foam ripping apart! I gasped for air as I felt the toxic fumes were starting to over take me again. After quickly finding my grandmothers old oxygen tank I turned the valve and breathed deeply. Ahhh much better. So then I went to Amazon.com and clicked return. End of story.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #7,879 of 15,268
My first pair had glue on the pads when i took them off.  I just decided to return them and get a replacement.  Later that day, the product page showed the item under investigation and I started to read this thread.  My replacement came and it has the issue with the aluminum trim. 

Although it's annoying, it doesn't affect the sound one bit, so I don't care about the trim.  I'm not going to try to take off the pads again though :)

The replacement pair also seemed to have better bass response.  My first pair had noticeably sloppy bass, the replacement set is less so, but maybe it's just in my head.

They sound good on my laptop and even better with my Little Dot 1+ (no external DAC yet).  At the sale price of $200, I'm very happy with the sound even with the trim/ear pad issues.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #7,880 of 15,268
Anybody got an old pair of trashed earpads they're looking to get rid of? I want a couple of the mounting plates.

I currently have my hm5 pleather earpads (the only reason I even tried removing the earpads to begin with) mounted, but to do so they need to be stretched over the earcup. Works ok, but they sit a little close and I can just feel one of the pegs against my ear. If I could just put the hm5 onto a mounting plate it'd be much better.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #7,881 of 15,268
  Well, it took a couple hours before I could post this. Apparently after I opened the box the toxic fumes rendered me unconscious. When I awoken dazed and confused (and a bit hungry) I saw a small packet on the floor that said 'Silica Gel'. I was like cool I am a bit hungry. So while snacking on the Silica Gel pack I scratch my ear only to find my fingers were black! I then picked up the headphones for closer examination. I did not see any issues with the finish so I proceeded to try to remove one of the ear pads. I pulled and pulled but, nothing happened! After locating a crow bar in my garage I managed to slowly pry it lose. I looked in-between the ear pad and headphone as it was separating only to see glue and foam ripping apart! I gasped for air as I felt the toxic fumes were starting to over take me again. After quickly finding my grandmothers old oxygen tank I turned the valve and breathed deeply. Ahhh much better. So then I went to Amazon.com and clicked return. End of story.

You are really one hell of a funny guy. I feel like a fool laughing to myself in front of my computer.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #7,882 of 15,268

Can't wait to have an adventure such as yours come Monday.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #7,883 of 15,268
Time to move on from this guys. I agree about starting a separate thread about it so as not to ruin things for other members for whom it is not an issue.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #7,884 of 15,268
Time to move on from this guys. I agree about starting a separate thread about it so as not to ruin things for other members for whom it is not an issue.

Great idea. It's frustrating trying to find the posts about a users experience with these cans from an audio perspective. I picked up a pair of these during the deal and I'm loving them! Comfortable and sound great!

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #7,885 of 15,268
  A bit off topic, but..
Does a DAC provide that much of a impact to a pair of headphone?
I know it's a bit difficult to answer, but if you were in my shoes, will you
1) buy a DAC and use it with existing NAD HP50 or
2) buy a X2 and drive it naked (directly from Mac)?
On one hand, I would like to get the X2 for a different sound characteristic (based on what I read, a more 'fun' sound).
On the other hand, a few people mentioned the importance of DAC and how it would change the sound..

If only funds are unlimited, there's no need to choose. But back to reality, where funds are somewhat limited, I'm somewhat stuck in between right now.

TenNix

- A good (does not have to be expensive) DAC provides noticeable improvement in sound quality over PC sound output. Anything about 24/96 will come with their own USB Driver (these are usually fine).  For the best improvement you will need software that bypasses the windows operating system (Foobar2000 or JRiver Media Jukebox) and also plays the various formats FLAC, AIFF, MP4, ALAC, WAV, etc). There are MAC equivalent although I am not the expert.
1) I don't know the NAD NP50s but the reviews are outstanding. They seem to be a pretty good 'closed' headphone. I would try an inexpensive DAC in case you are giving up on them...you can use it right away and later if you decide to buy the X2s.
2) With either headphone, I think you will benefit from getting a DAC. It will bring out better sound.

The X2s are characterized as fun because because 1) they have a bit of a bass hump at the right frequency which helps with its warn sound, and 2) are open and have good sound stage and imaging. The NADs (I have the preamp and they make great equipment) seem to be different, possibly more neutral, and closed, so you won't get the openness of the X2s. 

I bought my X2s for $299 over a month ago and I am very happy with them. I just bought a second pair as a family gift due to the sale price. Since the price is back up and since Amazon selling is on hold for now, I would probably wait to see if/when they go on sale again. I also just bought my kids Powerbeats2 Wireless and the color that I was looking for went on sale for a day. I got lucky and caught it. Guess you have to stay close to the listing if you are using Amazon.

As for DACS, there are so many good ones, most better than PC output, and there is a significant range in price. Here is a range of some good ones: Musiland Monitor 02 (I have the 01), O2DAC, Schiit BitFrost DAC (they also have a smaller portable one), Meridian Explorer 1 or 2 (I have the 1 and it processes my living room stereo music) or Explorer, Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS, NAD DAC 2, Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, Oppo HA2, anything by Chord (expensive). Things to consider: are you okay with 24/96 or do you want 24/192 (I think the state of DACS is now at 24/192 and some of these don't have this - but everyone loves the Dragonfly - frankly if you don't have the music files in the HiRes format then 24/96 will be fine); do you want DSD (most likely not an issue for most); do you want a table top or a portable (the portables are fine and usually work off USB power); do you want just the DAC or the DAC/Amp (most DACS include AMP section if they have headphone output - this will be what you want for the headphones).

If you want to not spend a lot of money and try for improved sound, go on ebay and look for 'Musiland Monitor 01 US 2012' (NOT the USD version). It's like $70 and ships from Asia (so 2-3 weeks and NOT made in US). The latest drivers can be downloaded from the Musiland site (use google translate) and come with a nice configuration panel (yes in English). The drivers work fine with all windows versions including 10. Once the drivers are loaded and DAC hooked up you can use it to drive your speakers and/or headphones. Alternatively, the music software above can be configured to separately output just to the DAC and headphone if you desire.  Then if you like the improvement you can always buy something better for more money (but these are very good value and even do 32/384 and sound as good as the Meridians...oops, sorry). If you don't think the improvement is substantial then it's a little investment and still works as a portable laptop headphone Amp.

I gotta say though, I really like my X2s...I will have to demo the NADs at some point.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #7,888 of 15,268
So let me try something constructive and from the tenor of this forum probably controversial. All of u just plugging the X2s into a PC or into a MAC should probably think about an external DAC. Using an internal soundcard subjects the signal to lots of interference. A good external DAC will give you a cleaner signal. I would make sure it is an Async DAC with 24 bit depth and 192 kHz sampling. Many are also now available with DVD (SACD Format). Also, you need to use the appropriate software (not iTunes on a PC and there's a hires front end you can buy for the MAC version of iTunes). As I said earlier I use Foobar2000 which works well for my headphones and home speakers. But the external DAC is a key component.

How's this for a redirect?

Yes, thank you very much.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #7,889 of 15,268
If anyone is looking for a very good dac/amp that works well with a pc, I vote for the Oppo HA-2. It's portable, and it's amazeballs. The only drawback is that it's spotty with Android compatability, but that's more of an Android issue than a knock on Oppo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back