Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 19, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #7,906 of 15,268
Well, it took a couple hours before I could post this. Apparently after I opened the box the toxic fumes rendered me unconscious. When I awoken dazed and confused (and a bit hungry) I saw a small packet on the floor that said 'Silica Gel'. I was like cool I am a bit hungry. So while snacking on the Silica Gel pack I scratch my ear only to find my fingers were black! I then picked up the headphones for closer examination. I did not see any issues with the finish so I proceeded to try to remove one of the ear pads. I pulled and pulled but, nothing happened! After locating a crow bar in my garage I managed to slowly pry it lose. I looked in-between the ear pad and headphone as it was separating only to see glue and foam ripping apart! I gasped for air as I felt the toxic fumes were starting to over take me again. After quickly finding my grandmothers old oxygen tank I turned the valve and breathed deeply. Ahhh much better. So then I went to Amazon.com and clicked return. End of story.
looks like you hit the jack pot with these. Hahaha

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #7,908 of 15,268

This certainly looks intentional. 
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #7,909 of 15,268
Yea I got them shipped today and will ship them back on Monday. Signed, sealed, return to sender. Right when I tried to remove the pads I knew right away the glue problem the rest of you guys have been having. It was everywhere!!! Welp at least I get my 200 dollars back.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #7,910 of 15,268
Those who have received glued ear-pads, are you able to put ear-pads back after removing ? I am about to receive my headphones too. Should i check them by opening ear-pads? Will they come off easily by just pulling them or do i have to pull hard?

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #7,911 of 15,268
I'm starting to like the X2's a bit more. They are quite a warm and unanalytical HP, easy on the ears. The highs are still my biggest gripe because of graininess, unnatural FR curve and lack of resolution. But, I can very much live with that. These might be very handy when very easy-to-drive "fun-cans" are needed.

BTW, have others found the earpads quite stiff and hard? Do they soften over time?

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #7,912 of 15,268
Just to clarify, I'm trying to steer this thread away from the glued pads and ring issue.

I'd recommend checking this thread out. I bought the newest X2 during the $199 sale, that's in this comparison. I heard the same three headphones next to each other and agree with his conclusions fully. I have around 30 hours break in. One of the older pairs probably has fewer hours. Regardless, even new, the old pairs sounded much more open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3xhwmf/recent_philips_x2_buyers_beware_qc_issues/

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #7,913 of 15,268
After being away from these for a night (and running pink noise, though I'm not sure how much of burn-in is real and how much is our brains adapting) my X2/27 sounds much clearer to me today, I'd say the mid clarity is now 80% of what I hear from the HE-400i (up from 60%) which is a pleasant surprise because the bass is much more energizing on the X2. The slight lack of clarity is now only really noticeable in the upper range for vocals, like when Adele belts on "All I Ask".

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #7,914 of 15,268
I'm hoping this is the case, but I have doubts. The other pairs of x2's sounded fine right out of the box. These ones sound boxy, no pun intended. Not much soundstage, airiness. They just sound worse in general. I believe in headphone break-in, but I've never heard two of the same headphones sound so different.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #7,916 of 15,268
  Those who have received glued ear-pads, are you able to put ear-pads back after removing ? I am about to receive my headphones too. Should i check them by opening ear-pads? Will they come off easily by just pulling them or do i have to pull hard?

Yes, the earpads will fit back on, but why do you want to take them off? I imagine the reason they are glued now is because of complaints about the pads falling off. The glue won't affect anything sound wise. My suggestion, just listen to them.

That being said, here's a pic of mine with different pads
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #7,919 of 15,268

Yes, the earpads will fit back on, but why do you want to take them off? I imagine the reason they are glued now is because of complaints about the pads falling off. The glue won't affect anything sound wise. My suggestion, just listen to them.

That being said, here's a pic of mine with different pads
wink_face.gif

Do I spy a classic wooden yo-yo there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back