Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #7,921 of 15,268
Mr Trev, which pad is that? And where do u get those?

They are HM5 pleather pads. They can be had from Mp4nation or Amazon. Right now I really can't say for sure if there is any worthy sq differences, but they are more comfy due to the softer foam.

@tomb Yup, old wooden yo-yo
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7,922 of 15,268
I'm sorry to hear that many people are having issues with Fidelio X2's quality control issues, but I agree with Administrator @currawong, who's asked (rather politely) that you take that conversation to a new thread.

Many of us haven't experienced these issues, and just want to talk about the headphones, the gear, the music and the pads that bring out the best in them.

On another note, my wife grabbed me a V-MODA Boompro to match with these for gaming. Looking forward to using the most killer gaming headset you can get for $350.:)

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #7,925 of 15,268
I'm sorry to hear that many people are having issues with Fidelio X2's quality control issues, but I agree with Administrator @currawong, who's asked (rather politely) that you take that conversation to a new thread.

Many of us haven't experienced these issues, and just want to talk about the headphones, the gear, the music and the pads that bring out the best in them.

On another note, my wife grabbed me a V-MODA Boompro to match with these for gaming. Looking forward to using the most killer gaming headset you can get for $350.:)

Yep I use those 2 for gaming and it is a very nice combo indeed.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #7,926 of 15,268
Holy hell these are amazing. The bass response is super great and covers the entire range of bass guitar, synth bass and upright bass. The mids come through really nicely and vocals sound incredible. The highs are reduced just the right amount, still distinctive, but not the emphasis of the sound. 

Still have to burn these in and feel them out more, but I'm very satisfied with the purchase. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #7,927 of 15,268
They are HM5 pleather pads. They can be had from Mp4nation or Amazon. Right now I really can't say for sure if there is any worthy sq differences, but they are more comfy due to the softer foam.

@tomb
 Yup, old wooden yo-yo:D

@mrtrev: Can you confirm how much these help the X2's isolation vs the stock velour pads?

These are very nice pads for $20 - I'm using them with my NAD Viso HP50, and they're the best pleather pads I've yet used. They're comfortable even when I wear glasses, and they fit a wide variety of headphones (Philips, NAD, Sony, Audio-Technica, and many others).

I like the stock X2 pads personally, but these are definately worth having if you want to try out any of brands they're compatible with.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #7,928 of 15,268
@mrtrev: Can you confirm how much these help the X2's isolation vs the stock velour pads?

These are very nice pads for $20 - I'm using them with my NAD Viso HP50, and they're the best pleather pads I've yet used. They're comfortable even when I wear glasses, and they fit a wide variety of headphones (Philips, NAD, Sony, Audio-Technica, and many others).

I like the stock X2 pads personally, but these are definately worth having if you want to try out any of brands they're compatible with.

Doesn't seem to me like there's any difference isolation wise. The x2 are open design, so I can't see anything improving over stock. They are comfy, albeit you've got to deal with the hot/sticky tendencies of pleather. They could be a wrestling match to install, but mine have been stretched from being on other phones.

I did notice when running some test tones just now, that with the pleather, the balance seemed to be a little off. Certain tones would be left of centre, others would be right, while the stock pads kept things in the middle.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #7,929 of 15,268
I think the stock pads are really good on X2.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #7,930 of 15,268
If I was using my X2s on my magni with hi gain that it was hissing slightly with no music on, could I have messed up the drivers by playing them at a slightly normal volume during break in? I don't think I noticed the hiss when the music was playing?

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #7,931 of 15,268
  If I was using my X2s on my magni with hi gain that it was hissing slightly with no music on, could I have messed up the drivers by playing them at a slightly normal volume during break in? I don't think I noticed the hiss when the music was playing?

You should be using low gain as these are easy to drive and will expose a high noise floor. They do not hiss on my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 which has shown noise with IEM's. The hiss itself isn't damaging, it is literally just noise coming from the amplifier. Any music will cover up the sound. Break them in with volumes that are slightly above comfortable listening levels. They say they can handle 500mW which is a decent amount of power but I would not risk going crazy with it. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #7,935 of 15,268
  You should be using low gain as these are easy to drive and will expose a high noise floor. They do not hiss on my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 which has shown noise with IEM's. The hiss itself isn't damaging, it is literally just noise coming from the amplifier. Any music will cover up the sound. Break them in with volumes that are slightly above comfortable listening levels. They say they can handle 500mW which is a decent amount of power but I would not risk going crazy with it. 

Got it. I've been playing them quite loudly, probably more so than normal listening. Is that bad? I've heard that to break them in you should play much louder than normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back