Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #7,951 of 15,268
You're welcome and thanks @Eurobeat !

@mysticstryk for practical way to measure the spl with your smartphone please check the last couple of posts in the same (Safe Listening) thread
wink.gif

Nono, thank you :).

Great, I might check out the mobile app as well, how well does it work?

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7,952 of 15,268
I notice this hp sounded best after 10 hrs of break in. There is some truth for burn in. Some of the driver's supension parts such as the surround needs to stretch to soften up. You will hear better treble extension, clearer mids, and deeper bass. Usually by a few hertz but not much more. burn in can take as little as an hour depending on volume and driver xmax movement. Don't listen too loud while burn in, hearing damage is no joke.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #7,953 of 15,268
Nono, thank you :).

Great, I might check out the mobile app as well, how well does it work?

Thanks :) Comparisons of the results were already mentioned in that thread. The app that I use is Smart Tools (for android). There is a decibelmeter inside the app. Not a scientific method to measure the SPL but will work if you dont have a dedicated SPL meter (decibelmeter). You need to keep the mic of you smartphone as close as to the speaker part of your headphone while measuring. If possible block the open areas with your hand. You'll have an apptoximate measurement... For better results I advise anyone to buy a small SPL meter. They are usually not expensive than an iem... We usually dont care about these measurements but it is vital for long term hearing health.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #7,954 of 15,268
You're welcome and thanks @Eurobeat !

@mysticstryk for practical way to measure the spl with your smartphone please check the last couple of posts in the same (Safe Listening) thread
wink.gif

Thanks! Is the meter I linked also good to use?  Would prefer to get a closer result and it's only $18.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #7,955 of 15,268
I notice this hp sounded best after 10 hrs of break in. There is some truth for burn in. Some of the driver's supension parts such as the surround needs to stretch to soften up. You will hear better treble extension, clearer mids, and deeper bass. Usually by a few hertz but not much more. burn in can take as little as an hour depending on volume and driver xmax movement. Don't listen too loud while burn in, hearing damage is no joke.

+1
Mine is sounding more balanced after about 20+ hrs of burn in :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7,956 of 15,268
Just opened up my X2 from the amazon deal.  Seems to be cosmetically sound.  The earpads were glued down.  Doesn't bother me though, it just leaves some glue remnants on the inside poles that hold the pads on.  Easily cleaned off if it is bothersome, doesn't matter to me though.  The aluminum ring issue also doesn't seem to affect my pair.  Down where the aluminum meets together by the headphone jack, looks like one is raised higher than the other.  Barely noticeable and cannot tell when looking at it from the side like that earlier pic in this thread.

Has anybody had issues yet with the X2s from the $200 sale?

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #7,957 of 15,268
  Just opened up my X2 from the amazon deal.  Seems to be cosmetically sound.  The earpads were glued down.  Doesn't bother me though, it just leaves some glue remnants on the inside poles that hold the pads on.  Easily cleaned off if it is bothersome, doesn't matter to me though.  The aluminum ring issue also doesn't seem to affect my pair.  Down where the aluminum meets together by the headphone jack, looks like one is raised higher than the other.  Barely noticeable and cannot tell when looking at it from the side like that earlier pic in this thread.

My $200 pair (fourth) has it the worst (rings offset on _both_ earcups).

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,958 of 15,268

Check out the last like 20 pages, but we aren't allowed to talk about it in here anymore, since a few people got very upset that it "distracts from actual discussion" yet there are over 500 other pages, with 8000 replies of headphone discussion (also including pages of more issues/complaints :) ).

A few people have pairs that have a chemical smell, some have ink issues, some have aluminum ring issues, some have glue issues.  Overall some unhappy, some that don't care.

Doesn't seem to affect the pairs, but I'm curious what the big plastic piece on top of the speaker is for though...

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7,960 of 15,268
  Damn, sorry to hear that...
You going to try again?

It's just sitting in the box, waiting for the Amazon investigation to complete, then I will try to exchange it again. I'm using the third pair now (3rd party seller fulfilled by Amazon), which is almost OK. If my fifth replacement comes bad, I'll just keep that one.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #7,961 of 15,268
Check out the last like 20 pages, but we aren't allowed to talk about it in here anymore, since a few people got very upset that it "distracts from actual discussion" yet there are over 500 other pages, with 8000 replies of headphone discussion (also including pages of more issues/complaints :) ).

A few people have pairs that have a chemical smell, some have ink issues, some have aluminum ring issues, some have glue issues.  Overall some unhappy, some that don't care.

Doesn't seem to affect the pairs, but I'm curious what the big plastic piece on top of the speaker is for though...

I really don't see the problem. No one has said that the issue is not allowed to be talked about, on the contrary even one of the moderators suggested starting a new thread about the issue but it seems as no-one can be bothered with doing so.......

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #7,962 of 15,268
Damn, even with bright & bass-light tracks these are quite a warm/smooth/bassy/laid-back affair. That bass guitar just plays very up-front. A bit like M100 and Aurvana Live 2.

Has anyone else found the pads to be a bit on the hard side?

E: Whoever calls these phones bright, must have some great sensitivity to certain high frequencies.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #7,963 of 15,268
  Damn, even with bright & bass-light tracks these are quite a warm/smooth/bassy/laid-back affair. That bass guitar just plays very up-front. A bit like M100 and Aurvana Live 2.

E: Whoever calls these phones bright, must have some great sensitivity to certain high frequencies.

They're quite firm pads, but nowhere near to cause discomfort (at least for my noggin). Also these cans are far from bright.. This is one of the main criteria for me, as I hate bright cans. LCD-2F was brighter, to be honest. Almost a bit shouty in the upper midrange. X2 is better balanced, IMO.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #7,964 of 15,268
BTW, on my large head the headband is pulling the phones upwards slightly. There is enough room to fit my head, but there is enough stretch in the band to cause some slow movement.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #7,965 of 15,268
I really don't see the problem. No one has said that the issue is not allowed to be talked about, on the contrary even one of the moderators suggested starting a new thread about the issue but it seems as no-one can be bothered with doing so.......

Said it shouldn't be talked about in here.....

That's meee!

Someone in another thread claimed I have irreversible damage to think that the X2's were bright.  But the thing is...  Wouldn't your hearing be "irreverisibly damaged" if you couldn't hear something, rather than hearing it?

Also, I had read some reviews earlier today, randomly on Amazon, and a few others mentioned the brightness.

For me, it was in a few songs, which some people chalked up to "source files," being "low quality."

Also, from the Amazon reviews, there were claims of not enough power to the Headphones, as in Amp/DAC needed, so I can see that as well :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back