Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 20, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #7,981 of 15,268
This is why well isolating mobile-phones are so essential. With my not-so-isolating phones (Aurvana Live, Porta Pro etc.) I've been shocked at how loud the volume is when I enter a grocery store etc. I bet it's not good when you have to raise the volume to block outside noise.... Earbuds are likely killing people's hearings.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #7,982 of 15,268
  This is why well isolating mobile-phones are so essential. With my not-so-isolating phones (Aurvana Live, Porta Pro etc.) I've been shocked at how loud the volume is when I enter a grocery store etc. I bet it's not good when you have to raise the volume to block outside noise.... Earbuds are likely killing people's hearings.

IEMS are awful for you.  I've heard this from like 3 different music teachers/professors I've had.

It's all good though...  Soon technology will be at a point that we can repair ears/hearing.  Give it 20 years and we wont have to deal with problems (probably be able to play music directly into the brain as well :) ).

Interestingly enough, at tyhe bottom of this wiki article...

Treatment[edit]

The most common treatment for hyperacusis is retraining therapy which uses broadband noise. Tinnitus retraining therapy, a treatment originally used to treat tinnitus, uses broadband noise to treat hyperacusis.Pink noise can also be used to treat hyperacusis. By listening to broadband noise at soft levels for a disciplined period of time each day, patients can rebuild (i.e., re-establish) their tolerances to sound. Another treatment method is the Berard Auditory Integration Training. When seeking treatment, it is important that the physician determine the patient's Loudness Discomfort Levels (LDL) so that hearing tests (brainstem auditory evoke response) or other diagnostic tests which involve loud noise (MRI) do not worsen the patient's tolerance to sound. If people have access to medical care, steroids are used to treat hyperacusis within 72 hours of the onset of the condition.[citation needed]

Overall, it wouldn't be a "bad" idea to go get my ears checked just to see.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #7,983 of 15,268

IEMS are awful for you.  I've heard this from like 3 different music teachers/professors I've had.

I wasn't talking about IEM's, as in in-ear-monitors. They block at least some noise from the outside. Non-isolating earbuds, Porta Pros, SR60's etc. are the problem. (And the X2 too, if used portably.) You really have to crank the volume to hear anything in traffic with those.

We're getting way off topic, though.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #7,984 of 15,268
For loud environments you gotta use the most isolating IEMs possible, so you don't have to compensate with higher volume levels.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #7,985 of 15,268
Damn, even with bright & bass-light tracks these are quite a warm/smooth/bassy/laid-back affair. That bass guitar just plays very up-front. A bit like M100 and Aurvana Live 2.

Has anyone else found the pads to be a bit on the hard side?

E: Whoever calls these phones bright, must have some great sensitivity to certain high frequencies.

Re the pads ....I honestly would have returned them if not for getting the bass plus cushion pads they are selling on eBay (same manufacturer of stock pads it seems). The stock pads were too firm and were leaving my jaw sore. As much as I love the sound that would have been the deal breaker for me.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #7,987 of 15,268
  The X2 pads? Firm? Weird. Mine are very comfortable, they remind me of the Beyer velour pads I had years ago.

I have some DT770's right here. They are much softer. Even though, I just washed the Beyer pads... They aren't that soft on the surface anymore, they became kind of rough 
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #7,989 of 15,268
Just mind the volume levels, folks... Most people listen at FAR higher levels than necessary (for years). And then start suffering from all sorts of issues...

One of the things I look for in a headphone is detail at low level listening. My hd650s are perfect at this.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #7,990 of 15,268
I do find the pads on the firm side myself, but I've been spoiled by the hm5 pads. I've read some folks claimed they can be softened by washing them, but I couldn't be bothered.

Still trying to get my head wrapped around the imagining on these things. I'm not sure if it's because of the angled drivers but they're very different from my other pairs. Much more varied placement in the vertical plane. Sometimes they have an almost 3 channel (l-c-r) presentation. Not saying its bad, just different

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7,992 of 15,268
The X2 pads? Firm? Weird. Mine are very comfortable, they remind me of the Beyer velour pads I had years ago.

Probably not firm for most people but they didn't feel right for me. Also a bit itchy. I know a few people here made similar comments. The ones I have now are just right.

I believe it might be due to the memory foam used in the pads. Memory foam is generally harder as they form against you.

Mine also itched the first time I owned these. I got used to it after a few days though, and these became the most comfortable headphones I ever owned.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7,993 of 15,268
One of the things I look for in a headphone is detail at low level listening. My hd650s are perfect at this.

X2 are pretty good too. I generally use very low volume level and still get full dynamic range with plenty of bass and lots of detail. Makes very long listening sessions possible without any ear fatigue.

LCD-2s I had to crank up a little and this is where its higher midrange shoutiness became a problem.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #7,994 of 15,268
X2 are pretty good too. I generally use very low volume level and still get full dynamic range with plenty of bass and lots of detail. Makes very long listening sessions possible without any ear fatigue.

From what I remember, I agree. Haven't had a chance to listen to my new pair yet, haven't been able to get the Pm-3 that came in at the same time off my head.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #7,995 of 15,268

Here's the ring on my new X2. Hardly noticeable but... Has anybody had zero ring issues or minor like mine, and had it get worse?

It looks to be just a thin metal strip wrapped around the cup. Should be able to be fixed DIY shouldn't it? Get some heavy duty glue and re wrap it around?

Edit: Wow that's hard to see in my pictures. Well, I did say it was hardly noticeable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back