Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7,998 of 15,268
If she appreciates your large, over-ear, leaky, open headphones, she's a total keeper, but you knew that already.
smily_headphones1.gif

My wife doesn't get it, so I say, "you know how you like purses? I like headphones the same way."

she did not get it at first but she knows the love I have for audio  so she sat down one day and made me go through all of the headphones I have and she tried all of them.  ever once in a while I will catch one missing from my wall and will find her on the bed listening to my music playing assassins creed,  I am turned her into a monster lol.  in a good way.  she stole my xbox one too.  I had to get another one.  

I dont know what happened

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #7,999 of 15,268
Since I am going to return my pair from Amazon, any recommendations for another pair of open cans around the same level or price?

I already have a pair of Enigmas for my closed back cans of choice, so I need an open pair to complement them.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,000 of 15,268
Listening to Tool's Aenima... With the X2's it's all smooth and kinda V-shaped... Kick-drum has power, cymbals too. Lacks bite, lacks mid-range. (This is after listening to X2's for several hours.) Switched to my LCD-2's.... Oh man, it's silly to say "this is what it's all about", but yeah. That's the feeling.

X2's have a serious "mids-deficiency". Electric guitars and the punch of a snare drum are the first to take a "hit", never mind the pun. The highs aren't clean and grain-free either, not even close. And then there is that peak & valley -thing going on up there... I guess I've been here before.

X2 might be an ok headphone for 300 euros/bucks, but it surely isn't all that awesome either. It's one fun phone to satisfy the need of little treble-energy (minus that 10k boost) and lots of bass. Sound-quality wise - if LCD-2 was double the price as these, it would be very fair.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #8,001 of 15,268
Guess I am kind of lucky to be relatively inexperienced so far in higher end headphones and not be able to make critical comparisons with treble mids bass subbass etc. I'd probably be I huge debt right now. I will bask in the ignorance and believe the x2 is awesome

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8,002 of 15,268
If I was playing the X2s fairly loudly, that I could hear them across the house without them on my ears, could I have damaged the drivers? Putting them on my head, they were just unbearably loud but seemed clear

I'm not sure how much power you can send into them, but I wouldn't take a chance on blowing a driver, as tempting as it may be to use them as a mini stereo, lol.

Philips' customer service is turrrrrible. I wouldn't want you to go through the pain of processing a claim with them.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #8,003 of 15,268
  Listening to Tool's Aenima... With the X2's it's all smooth and kinda V-shaped... Kick-drum has power, cymbals too. Lacks bite, lacks mid-range. (This is after listening to X2's for several hours.) Switched to my LCD-2's.... Oh man, it's silly to say "this is what it's all about", but yeah. That's the feeling.

X2's have a serious "mids-deficiency". Electric guitars and the punch of a snare drum are the first to take a "hit", never mind the pun. The highs aren't clean and grain-free either, not even close. And then there is that peak & valley -thing going on up there... I guess I've been here before.

X2 might be an ok headphone for 300 euros/bucks, but it surely isn't all that awesome either. It's one fun phone to satisfy the need of little treble-energy (minus that 10k boost) and lots of bass. Sound-quality wise - if LCD-2 was double the price as these, it would be very fair.

One thing a non audio enthusiast noted (without my prompting) when switching from the X2 to a pair of Sony MDR-V6 was that guitar was a lot more pronounced on the V6 on a Radiohead album.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #8,004 of 15,268
idk, downgraded from LCD-2F and not looking back.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,005 of 15,268

One thing a non audio enthusiast noted (without my prompting) when switching from the X2 to a pair of Sony MDR-V6 was that guitar was a lot more pronounced on the V6 on a Radiohead album.

That's the mids right there. Electric guitars are basically a mids instrument.

The important (or audible) frequencies of electric guitars drops of at something like 5-6k. And, they are cut (hi-pass) from the lows to make room for the kick drum and bass guitar.

EDIT: guitar cabinets and speakers have a very precise frequency curve to fit the instrument. Playing a song through one would sound very muffled. Playing a guitar amp through a hifi-system would sound harsh.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #8,006 of 15,268

I haven't noticed the issue with the peaky treble you two mention (I'm not disputing it, however). I will agree that the mids are a little too subdued for some genres. I noticed this on "10,000 Days" from Tool, especially on Jambi, one of my favorite songs.

I need to check out some Radiohead on these as well, another of my favorite bands.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #8,008 of 15,268
I haven't noticed the issue with the peaky treble you two mention (I'm not disputing it, however). I will agree that the mids are a little too subdued for some genres. I noticed this on "10,000 Days" from Tool, especially on Jambi, one of my favorite songs.

I need to check out some Radiohead on these as well, another of my favorite bands.

Cool. Lateralus has some of the best rock/metal mixing and mastering in my library. It's a nice reference album. 10,000 Days is a bit too hot & brickwalled for my taste. 

By "peaky treble" I mean it's very subdued under that 10k boost. If one is sensitive to that region (I'm not), it could be irritating. Otherwise the treble is quite low-energy to me.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,009 of 15,268
more like you upgraded soundwise and comfort

Yes, better soundstage, imaging and comfort. And spare $700 in a pocket.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #8,010 of 15,268
I believe it might be due to the memory foam used in the pads. Memory foam is generally harder as they form against you.

Mine also itched the first time I owned these. I got used to it after a few days though, and these became the most comfortable headphones I ever owned.

Actually; I just checked my cups again. One of them is soft and the other is firm like memory foam. I was feeling the soft one before. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back