Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,101 of 15,268
I am on the fence to jump on the X1. I am wondering if I should go for the X2 instead? I am thinking that the bass on the X1 might have advantage over the X2, when used strictly for movie watching. I am also not sure if I will realize any benefit by spending more on the X2 given I don't use these for music. I only listen to music on the go and I have many IEM's for that duty.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #5,102 of 15,268
I am wondering if I should go for the X2 instead? I am thinking that the bass on the X1 might have advantage over the X2, when used strictly for movie watching. I am also not sure if I will realize any benefit by spending more on the X2 given I don't use these for music. I only listen to music on the go and I have many IEM's for that duty.

Well, lemme ask you some quiz questions.
1)Is your head big? I have a dolichocephalic(tall&big) head, and it barely fits in the X2 headband. If I got an X1, my head would really be squeezed in there. I use my M50 with 4 clicks on either side and my Q701 really presses against the top of my head, if that helps.
2)How would you like replaceable ear pads? Might be a big deal 4 years down the line.
And that's about all I've got. Who knows? Maybe you'll love the X1/X2 so much that it replaces your IEMs ;3.

This is why I'll never sell mine.

Hey, can I buy your X2 for fifty bucks? Just kidding, hahaha.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,103 of 15,268
  Well, lemme ask you some quiz questions.
1)Is your head big? I have a dolichocephalic(tall&big) head, and it barely fits in the X2 headband. If I got an X1, my head would really be squeezed in there. I use my M50 with 4 clicks on either side and my Q701 really presses against the top of my head, if that helps.
2)How would you like replaceable ear pads? Might be a big deal 4 years down the line.
And that's about all I've got. Who knows? Maybe you'll love the X1/X2 so much that it replaces your IEMs ;3.

Hey, can I buy your X2 for fifty bucks? Just kidding, hahaha.

The Philips look very nice indeed but I will not be caught wearing them outside. I really didn't think about the replacement pad ( thanks for pointing that out) and the cable I need to buy for the X1. I should also mention I am a big soundstage whore. I guess the X2 has the edge here? I have an average size head.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #5,105 of 15,268
  I am on the fence to jump on the X1. I am wondering if I should go for the X2 instead? I am thinking that the bass on the X1 might have advantage over the X2, when used strictly for movie watching. I am also not sure if I will realize any benefit by spending more on the X2 given I don't use these for music. I only listen to music on the go and I have many IEM's for that duty.

From what I understand there is less quantity of bass on the X2, but it's higher quality than the X1's. Things other than sound were also upgraded with the X2, such as build and comfort. I'd go with the X2 if I were you. If you're tight on money then get one used.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #5,106 of 15,268
  From what I understand there is less quantity of bass on the X2, but it's higher quality than the X1's. Things other than sound were also upgraded with the X2, such as the build and comfort. I'd go with the X2 if I were you. If you're tight on money then get one used.

Thanks. Just jumped on Amazon warehouse deal. Hope it is new one but with damaged packaging. Is there any warranty on the warehouse deals?

Do I need to buy after market cable for the X2?

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,107 of 15,268

Thanks. Just jumped on Amazon warehouse deal. Hope it is new one but with damaged packaging. Is there any warranty on the warehouse deals?

Do I need to buy after market cable for the X2?

I never worried about cables much myself. I have no experience with them affecting sound unless they're really bad. In my opinion there are two different sounding cables, the bad cables, and the cables that sound as good as all the others. I'd buy a different cable if my current one had durability or length issues, but not to improve sound. From what I hear the X2 has a good cable, so you shouldn't need to replace it anyway.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #5,109 of 15,268
A few thoughts:

1) I've never heard the X1 but I can say from experience that the X2's sound is marvelously balanced and its bass response is tight, fast, and impactful. These things blew me out of the water from my first listen. I have a hard time imagining they'll disappoint you unless you're a diehard basshead.

2) Give them a shot with some music once you get them. They really deserve it, and maybe they'll even end up influencing where and how often you listen to music.

3) I've seen the X2s called "the best gaming headphones for under $1,000." Given how well they perform with my PS4 I cannot see them disappointing you with TV or movies.

4) The X2's cable is, for my needs, at least a foot and a half too long; however, it is hands-down the highest quality pack-in cable I have ever personally seen. I couldn't be any happier with it.

5) Enjoy!

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #5,110 of 15,268
Just ordered the X2s on a flash sale for $230 (they usually sell for $350 around here). Super excited! :)

Never tried them but based on reviews I am hopeful that they won't disappoint. My plan is that they will complement my Sony MDR-1As nicely and fully replace the Senn HD 595s - not too much to ask for, is it?

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #5,111 of 15,268

3) I've seen the X2s called "the best gaming headphones for under $1,000." Given how well they perform with my PS4 I cannot see them disappointing you with TV or movies.

That's interesting, I wonder how these headphones compare to the AD900x or Q701 for gaming. Those two headphones are very hard to beat for gaming unless you want more bass, in which case the Fidelio X2 or Beyerdynamic DT990 are probably better. I personally don't care for bass much though.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #5,112 of 15,268
  A few thoughts:

1) I've never heard the X1 but I can say from experience that the X2's sound is marvelously balanced and its bass response is tight, fast, and impactful. These things blew me out of the water from my first listen. I have a hard time imagining they'll disappoint you unless you're a diehard basshead.

2) Give them a shot with some music once you get them. They really deserve it, and maybe they'll even end up influencing where and how often you listen to music.

4) The X2's cable is, for my needs, at least a foot and a half too long; however, it is hands-down the highest quality pack-in cable I have ever personally seen. I couldn't be any happier with it.

5) Enjoy!

If they are that good for gaming, I doubt they will fall short for movies. My other worry is that I bought Sennheiser RS 180 two weeks ago and while I really like the fact they are wireless I am a bit disappointed with the bass performance. I bought this for bedroom use, because my wife didn't appreciate the long cable lying in the middle of the room when I was using my Grado. If I really enjoy the X2, then I will never watch a movie or TV in the bedroom and that is not healthy for my relationship :)

I bought the Fiio E12 to use with the RS 180 to give them a bit boost down low using the bass boost feature of the E12. I am looking forward to receiving it early next week. I will see if that makes any difference.

As for the cable, I spend many, many $$$ trying out different cables and in the end i arrived to the conclusion that they all sound the same. But I read on multiple forums that the X1 cable has a high impedance that affected the sound quality so I wasn't sure if the X2 could also benefit from after market cable.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #5,113 of 15,268
That's interesting, I wonder how these headphones compare to the AD900x or Q701 for gaming. Those two headphones are very hard to beat for gaming unless you want more bass, in which case the Fidelio X2 or Beyerdynamic DT990 are probably better. I personally don't care for bass much though.

The Q701 sounds more spacious with sharper imaging. I would say it is better but the X2 is more confortable and has a better mid bass punch.

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,114 of 15,268
The Q701 sounds more spacious with sharper imaging. I would say it is better but the X2 is more confortable and has a better mid bass punch.

I would say that Q701 is clearer in the midrange and upper treble to a degree, but it's also a lot harsher than X2.  I think it's more fatiguing, and less smooth. 
There's a more natural and better integrated bass with X2.  Q701 is also more power-hungry.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,115 of 15,268
They are gone.. Just the one that says it is damaged is left.

I bought a warehouse deals x2 from Amazon yesterday. The description said damaged, took a chance. it was 195 and I paid for overnight shipping. This thing is perfect near perfect. The packaging was shot to hell though. These sound fantastic so far.

The cord is wayyyyy toooooo long, it's nice quality, but omg so long. The earcups are so plush, very comfy so far. Played about 1.5 hours of music, with no discomfort, and now I'm trying some gaming on them. So far, I'm impressed.

Edit: I found a little imperfection on the bottom of the right side headphone, doesn't seem to impair anything yet. I will continue to test them for the duration of the return period, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back