Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 29, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #5,131 of 15,268
     The AD900X is cheaper($140), and it not only sounds nice, but it is extremely lightweight. Its earpads are also very similar to those on the X2. The only problem is that it doesn't have nearly as much bass as the X2. It sure has everything else, though. Clear(but forward) mids, sparkly treble, depthy soundstage.
    Would a 100gram difference be enough for your neck?

Maybe if there were a way to exercise one's neck..
blink.gif

Lets not forget the 3d wing system, if the user has a smallish head it could be a problem for comfort and fit. Speaking from experience here.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #5,132 of 15,268
  They need a "Sound Philosophy" forum. It would be the opposite of sound science. XP
But them islands.. Some islands are hard to find, some are big. Some are highly populated. Some are warm, others are cold. Sharks and other troubles represent the money spent to reach the can/island. Tools you use on the island to aid your survival are like amplifiers, making things better there. Your friend, the volleyball with a face, is Head-Fi. It's always with you.
Okay, this has gone too far
basshead.gif

Have you guys experienced any Fidelio X2 listening fatigue? And I don't just mean after listening for an hour or more. It's, like, in your face tiring. It might be the 5-6Khz peak. Wait, almost every headphone I have has 5-6Khz forwardness.

Listen through Ipod->Wadia170i->AudioGD Dac19DSP->ViolectricV200->X2, I experience no fatigue at all..GS1000, Sr225e and K501(slightly) gave me tinitus, the X2 doesn't, even after several hours..

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #5,134 of 15,268
I don't get fatigue on X2. Sometimes I got really overwhelmed by the bass then I switched to dt770, which is a thin sound can. After schiit it never happened, though.

X2 doesn't seem to me like an 'wow' experience. It just sounds right but I still don't get the 'audiophile experience' that my ears were looking for. But "the magic is in your head" so... I better feel it sooner to not buy another can.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,135 of 15,268

Not sure where he's hearing the 5khz peak...?

I'm no scientician but perhaps the issue is ear canal resonance? I can relate to that, as I've had significant issues with resonance myself, typically causing irritating treble spikes somewhere around 7-7.5kHz.

I don't get fatigue on X2. Sometimes I got really overwhelmed by the bass then I switched to dt770, which is a thin sound can. After schiit it never happened, though.

X2 doesn't seem to me like an 'wow' experience. It just sounds right but I still don't get the 'audiophile experience' that my ears were looking for. But "the magic is in your head" so... I better feel it sooner to not buy another can.

The X2s don't cause any fatigue at all for me, even when I listen to them for hours on end at high volumes, regardless of whether I'm listening to music or slaughtering prey in Bloodborne. These things are as close to perfect as I've ever experienced in a pair of headphones.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #5,136 of 15,268
You know, ear canal resonance does sound feasible. I do kinda notice that the fatigue is mostly in my left ear, which has different curvature than my right ear. Very interesting.

What's also interesting is that my X2 goes out of phase from 5-5.5Khz. I (Edit:pretty much only) hear sound through the right side, and then (Edit:pretty much only) through the left side as the tone goes up. Cable and source changes don't fix it. Is my X2 weird?
confused.gif
I'ma read through this thread and see if others have had this issue.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #5,137 of 15,268
You know, ear canal resonance does sound feasible. I do kinda notice that the fatigue is mostly in my left ear, which has different curvature than my right ear. Very interesting.

What's also interesting is that my X2 goes out of phase from 5-5.5Khz. I only hear sound through the right side, and then only through the left side as the tone goes up. Cable and source changes don't fix it. Is my X2 weird? :confused: I'ma read through this thread and see if others have had this issue.

There have been channel imbalance complaints. My first pair had channel imbalance whereas second pair didn't.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,140 of 15,268
Oh, man, Half-Life 1 has such lo-fi sound. I used to play it with my AKG K518LE so it wasn't only torture to hear, but also torture on my ears themselves. I still like its sound design though, with all the neat reverb effects.
Maybe I should play it with the Fidelio X2 for true pain!

Oh, and I'm back to loving my X2. It sounds so spacious playing orchestral music =3. And the way it renders whispering..wow, it's amazing.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,142 of 15,268
So the S2 doesn't really sound like the rest of the Fidelio line? =O That's kind of odd. I guess it is an in-ear, though. Lots of differences can occur changing between form factors. At least the DBA-02 mkII is very well-regarded, though^^.

Er mah gersh.. I <3 my X2! I listened to an album I haven't heard in years, and it just had perfect synergy with these cans. Through the entire CD, I was just sucked in..and I had "Tyll Face of Amazement" the entire time.
<-Just like dat. It made me feel the way I used to feel when listening to music... Anyway, the X2 is fantaastic!
Oh, and the CD is 'Failure' by Assemblage 23. It's technopop; You'll hate it >.>.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #5,143 of 15,268

What headphones did give you a wow experience around the same price point?

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5,144 of 15,268
I've been looking at this headphone as well as the Sennheiser HD600/650. But I'm the kind of person that uses my headphones for a bit of everything. Music, movies, gaming. You name it. So, are the Fidelio X2's superior for gaming and movies compared to the Sennheisers? Particularly soundstage and bass wise.

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #5,145 of 15,268
  I've been looking at this headphone as well as the Sennheiser HD600/650. But I'm the kind of person that uses my headphones for a bit of everything. Music, movies, gaming. You name it. So, are the Fidelio X2's superior for gaming and movies compared to the Sennheisers? Particularly soundstage and bass wise.

Thanks!

Yes, Fidelio X2 is much better for gaming and movies compared to HD650. Soundstage is bigger and bass hits harder and lower. I think Fidelio X2 is one of the best HPs on the market for all-around purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back