Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 1, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #5,163 of 15,268
I love the pads on these things, way more comfortable than anything I've ever used and very breathable. It is definitely huge though, and the headband could be looser.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,164 of 15,268
  Received my X2 a few days back and the sound quality just amazing. Right amount of base that digs reasonably low, very good at detail, nice mids and highs. The soundstage is very good but could be a bit more wider. The negatives, at least for me is that:

1.This thing is huge, and while very nice while you hold it on your hands, looks ugly when you put it on your head. Looks like it is made for people with coneheads :)
2. It is heavy and the pads, while comfortable for a short session, they are not comfortable for a long session. The ear pads get hot and become itchy after 30 minutes. I find myself taking a break, every 20 -30 minutes. The fact it does not have a cushion on top does not help bald guys like me. No hair to use as a cushion :frowning2:

I could put the RS180 on and literally listen for hours and I often forget that I have them on.

With all the negative I mentioned, I am still reluctant to return it back to Amazon. I am really torn here on what to do. Would I get used it overtime and all this discomfort would go away?

My goal was to get the best headphone for movies that give a presentation that is like speakers rather than closed in-your-head sound. The X2 while not 3D like, it is very good. I am about to order, the HD598, The DT990 pro 250omhs or DT770/DT880 and one other can to compare. Any suggestions for the best headphone under $300?

The more you venture into soundstage territory the less musical things become. The HD598 doesn't sound any wider than the X2. The two actually have a comparable soundstage with the X2 having superior imaging. In that price range you are not going to get anything better overall. You may find headphones with a wider soundstage like the Q701 but you lose out on a musical sound with a full bass response and balanced from top to bottom of the X2. The DT770 has a wide stage for a closed phone but it's also a full sound in a closed design. It's going to sound thunderous in the bass but won't sound airy. The 990 has one of the most horrible, metallic sounding trebles I've heard but for movies and games helps them sound spacious. It has a big bass hump so will not sound as airy as the X2. The X2 has the best balance of any headphone I've heard apart from the HE-500 and even then, it compares well.

The whole headphone game seems complex but it's actually really simple. You gain one thing but loose out another, it's best to try get close to a perfect balance because the reality is you can't have a huge bass but then have a airy sound. You can't have a huge soundstage and have a smooth, musical sound.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,165 of 15,268

The more you venture into soundstage territory the less musical things become. The HD598 doesn't sound any wider than the X2. The two actually have a comparable soundstage with the X2 having superior imaging. In that price range you are not going to get anything better overall. You may find headphones with a wider soundstage like the Q701 but you lose out on a musical sound with a full bass response and balanced from top to bottom of the X2. The DT770 has a wide stage for a closed phone but it's also a full sound in a closed design. It's going to sound thunderous in the bass but won't sound airy. The 990 has one of the most horrible, metallic sounding trebles I've heard but for movies and games helps them sound spacious. It has a big bass hump so will not sound as airy as the X2. The X2 has the best balance of any headphone I've heard apart from the HE-500 and even then, it compares well.

The whole headphone game seems complex but it's actually really simple. You gain one thing but loose out another, it's best to try get close to a perfect balance because the reality is you can't have a huge bass but then have a airy sound. You can't have a huge soundstage and have a smooth, musical sound.

Very helpful post Hachiko270296. I have read many reviews about many different phones hoping/trying to find the holy grail knowing deep inside that was just a dream. Yes, you lose something when you gain something. I find the X2 a very balanced headphone, just wished for a bit wider soundstange. Looks like I am not going to get that unless I compromise something else. I must mention that even though these cans are going to be used in HT environment, and bright phones might be good for movies, but I HATE bright sound as in Kilpsch and Axiom speakers. So the Beyerdynamics are too risky for me.

I love open, airy, lush musical sound that are detailed without being bright and tight bass that digs reasonably low. I have not owned many full size headphones but the X2 is close to what I am looking for except for the comfort issue I expressed earlier. I have been listening some tunes on them while browsing. It's been just over an hour and I had to take them of twice for a very brief moment. But they do sound fantastic on all types of music.

I still have three weeks before the return windows closes. I need to experiment and find a way to make these cans more comfortable, less itchy.  I will still get two other cans that fit the sound characteristic what I am looking for and compare them to the X2. That way I can stop wondering and keep enjoying whichever I decide to keep for years to come!

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,166 of 15,268
I find the X2 very comfortable but they do get a bit too much in hot weather due to the Memory foam. I was going to recommend the K7XX by AKG as they are light, balanced and sound great. Unfortunately they are also Memory Foam. Maybe look into getting a Sony MA900 off eBay. They are Fantastic and soo breathable. Not quite as good as the X2 but not that far off either. Easy to drive, good soundstage and good mid bass punch.

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,167 of 15,268
I don't think I'll ever let go of my X2's !!!
ph34r.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #5,169 of 15,268
The X2 sounds slghtly wider than the HE-500. The 560 is closer but the X2 is still a tad wider. The depth of the planars is a little better. Dynamics tend to have a larger stage than planars. The X2 is way more fun than the 560 IMO. I also don't think the HE-500 is that much of a improvent apart from having a deeper more linear bass. If you also found the X2 heavy the HE-500 will feel comically heavy. The HE-500 is fantastic but the X2 has comparable mids, great tone andvyou never feel like you are missing out. The HE-500 had this same feel but the X2 is half the price.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,171 of 15,268
I was listening to my fairly new X2's and in one of my bass test tracks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRdadWLiXc) I noticed a warble in the left driver around 10 seconds in. Tried it on two difference sources/amps and the same result. 

When I did driver/bass tests on the X2 they all sounded fine. Anyone have any issues with this? Not sure if I should do something or just let it slide...

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #5,172 of 15,268
I was listening to my fairly new X2's and in one of my bass test tracks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRdadWLiXc) I noticed a warble in the left driver around 10 seconds in. Tried it on two difference sources/amps and the same result. 

When I did driver/bass tests on the X2 they all sounded fine. Anyone have any issues with this? Not sure if I should do something or just let it slide...

Tried the track with mine and all sounds fine. I used my iPhone6 as the source device. Did you do the driver/bass test again to see the results?

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,173 of 15,268
Tried the track with mine and all sounds fine. I used my iPhone6 as the source device. Did you do the driver/bass test again to see the results?

You can barely hear the warble, or whatever it is on the YouTube clip. On my FLAC file, it's definitely noticeable.

I've listened to several different bass tests and freq sweeps and everything sounds fine. Also been listening to other bassy tracks and they sound fine. Very strange.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #5,174 of 15,268
The X2 sounds slghtly wider than the HE-500. The 560 is closer but the X2 is still a tad wider. The depth of the planars is a little better. Dynamics tend to have a larger stage than planars. The X2 is way more fun than the 560 IMO. I also don't think the HE-500 is that much of a improvent apart from having a deeper more linear bass. If you also found the X2 heavy the HE-500 will feel comically heavy. The HE-500 is fantastic but the X2 has comparable mids, great tone andvyou never feel like you are missing out. The HE-500 had this same feel but the X2 is half the price.

I asked because from this post, it stated the opposite
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/4950#post_11681640

HD-560 is supposed to be endgame & the X2 is more mid-fi?

I really do want largest soundstage & bass combo for under a grand.
Reviews & comparisons are all over the place on whats what.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #5,175 of 15,268
End Game... Mid fi.. funny thing is the HD600 and HD650 used to be end game for people. So price should not be relevant, its in the eye of the beholder and what your ears prefer. I have owned a few headphones close to $1000 dollars and sold them... now have a pair of X2s because they sound amazing for the price. Mid fi can be end game for people. Id recommend listening to what you can before jumping in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back