Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,117 of 15,268
I bought my X2 recently from Amazon for $250 and really love the sound but totally underestimated the impact of the weight. My neck just can't handle it for too long. I hated doing it but I had to return them in search of something comparable in quality and price but a lot lighter. Can someone please suggest alternatives? I was thinking M50x but I don't want to buy an amp. I'm plugged straight into my MacBook Air and iPhone. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. My ears are missing the sweet sound of the X2.

I'm listening to Die Antwoord right now just to give you an idea of the music genre.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #5,118 of 15,268
I bought my X2 recently from Amazon for $250 and really love the sound but totally underestimated the impact of the weight. My neck just can't handle it for too long. I hated doing it but I had to return them in search of something comparable in quality and price but a lot lighter. Can someone please suggest alternatives?

I think you might have to stick to IEMs if you think the X2 are heavy, lol.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #5,119 of 15,268
   The AD900X is cheaper($140), and it not only sounds nice, but it is extremely lightweight. Its earpads are also very similar to those on the X2. The only problem is that it doesn't have nearly as much bass as the X2. It sure has everything else, though. Clear(but forward) mids, sparkly treble, depthy soundstage.
   But if you want Fidelio X2 bass, the M50x should be pretty good. They're both really punchy. But of course, you're going to lose some "air" because the M50x is closed =\. Would a 100gram difference be enough for your neck?

Maybe if there were a way to exercise one's neck..
blink.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #5,122 of 15,268
Does anyone who has a x2 know if it's safe to stick the magnet to the metal mesh on the side of the headphone? I have an Antlion modmic, and the surface is too rough for the adhesive, but the magnet would totally work.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #5,123 of 15,268
Does anyone who has a x2 know if it's safe to stick the magnet to the metal mesh on the side of the headphone? I have an Antlion modmic, and the surface is too rough for the adhesive, but the magnet would totally work.

Yes, it works fine.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #5,124 of 15,268
Consider the Sony MDR-1A too, they are a very light 225g.

I prefer them comfort wise to the X2 though mainly because my skin likes pleather vs the breathable (but itchy) velour.

Well, they say closed back is the best way to induce head-banging. :basshead:

MDR-1A! Goods suggestion. Forgot about those. What about the V-Moda Crossfade M-100? They only weigh 280g vs the X2 at 380g and people seems to be very happy. Good bass too which I like.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #5,125 of 15,268
So I just got back from vacation and I'm listening to my X2s for the first time in over a week right now. My signal chain is
DX90MM > Objective 2 > X2. Sixty seconds into my current track (linky) I heard myself say aloud, "Oh my God, these are good headphones!"

I absolutely love these things!

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5,126 of 15,268
    MDR-1A! Goods suggestion. Forgot about those. What about the V-Moda Crossfade M-100? They only weigh 280g vs the X2 at 380g and people seems to be very happy. Good bass too which I like.

With the M-100, you will get nothing BUT bass!
triportsad.gif
Well, actually, you'll still get some nice, full-bodied lower and upper mids to go with it. But the treble is, like...gone. Good news is you can crank up the volume and not hurt your ears as much! Which means even more headbanging!
I personally don't even consider V-modas to be closed-back, unless you mod their huge bass ports. But if you're listening at home, isolation shouldn't be an issue, right?

Dang it, my positive impression of the X2 is starting to waver. I think I'm hearing the "hollow mids" that people describe them having. But I'm pondering whether it's my music or just the way my Magni 2 Uber drives them. Or maybe it's the earpads... When I simulate more clamping force, getting my ears closer to the drivers, things sound more engaging. Maybe I just need more clamp!
All of it is making me insane; Going between all of my headphones to find which one is "right." But they all sound right. Maybe it's myself that's changed.
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,127 of 15,268
It's the neverending, wretched, lovely pursuit of perfection that's haunting you, CaveManta. We're all consumed by it here. The very same day I received my B3 Pro 1s and Titan 1s from my wife as a gift, I was already researching new IEMs to buy. Give in to the Dark Side; they have better music there; however, don't let the new destroy the old for you. What is wonderful today doesn't have to become obsolete tomorrow just because you'll acquire a new toy.

My mother tells me that when she was a Girl Scout they used to have a chant or poem they would recite: You make new friends as you keep the old; one is silver, the other gold.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5,128 of 15,268
Yeshhh, you are absolutely right- Wait, what are you saying? You mean silver and gold cables? I'm just kidding. I gotcha! And you are right.
The journey is the most meaningful part. Except the journey here is more like getting stranded in an endless sea of islands, where each island is an individual can. ...Or maybe I'm thinking of the game, 'Stranded Deep.' Anyway, it still kinda fits
smile_phones.gif

It's nice to still have my good ol' M50 and AD700 around. They'll always remind me of what my music used to sound like.
Upgrading to new headphones is a weird thing. It's always hit or miss. But whenever I try new speaker setups, it's always great. o.O Must be their flatter, more natural response!

What's really bothering me about the X2 is that it's giving me fatigue. I think it's exaggerated by my Schiit somehow. I'm going to listen to some CDs through a Sony receiver to see if the problem gets "smoothed" out.
Speaking of smooth, try listening to the X2 worn backward. It gets really dark! Now that's the dark side.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #5,129 of 15,268
I think that island analogy fits rather well actually.

Off you go, in your little boat; landing at different islands to sample the fruits.

Some of the fruits go sour, but the conditions are good to live there for a while.

Eventually you journey to another island with better fruits, but you discover the climate was better on the island you left behind.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #5,130 of 15,268
They need a "Sound Philosophy" forum. It would be the opposite of sound science. XP
But them islands.. Some islands are hard to find, some are big. Some are highly populated. Some are warm, others are cold. Sharks and other troubles represent the money spent to reach the can/island. Tools you use on the island to aid your survival are like amplifiers, making things better there. Your friend, the volleyball with a face, is Head-Fi. It's always with you.
Okay, this has gone too far
basshead.gif

Have you guys experienced any Fidelio X2 listening fatigue? And I don't just mean after listening for an hour or more. It's, like, in your face tiring. It might be the 5-6Khz peak. Wait, almost every headphone I have has 5-6Khz forwardness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back