Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,056 of 15,268
Did I understand this correct: You are thinking of getting them both, one as dac, the other one as amp? This would make not much sence as they are both dac/amp combos, one of them would be enough.
You will need a powered usb hub for either one if you want to use them one your phone because the usb port of the phone will not deliver enough power.
yes, one amp and m2 dac, I am new to dacs&amps, dunno what I'm doing.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,057 of 15,268
yes, one amp and m2 dac, I am new to dacs&s, dunno what I'm doing.

Okay. But that would only make sense if the X-Fis headphone amp was much better than the one of the M2 and its dac much worse. You would be using one budget dac/amp as dac only and one budget dac/amp as amp only. For the same money you can get a much better dac/amp, Fiio e18 or audioengine d1 both would be very good options for the price IMO.

I can recomend the e18, do not know the d1 though.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #5,058 of 15,268
Jun 23, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #5,059 of 15,268
Since we're talking about dac/amp, with the fidelio X2, do we really have a great boost in audio quality when we're already have a decent dac ?

Or it's just a big diminishing return ?

The thing is, I have a new laptop and don't like the sound at all...
mad.gif

So, I have the possibility to buy a Dragonfly 1.2 (It seem to be my choice atm for 150€),or a Fiio E10K, but if you guys tell me that's it's really worth investing a little more (i'm also looking at the odac+o2, hrt microstreamer) I can do it.

Since the X2 is easy to drive, I'm thinking a lot about diminishing return.

It's worth nothing that i love listening to music and I somewhat listen to my X2 everyday almost all the day when I'm up, so i want a good setup. 

And what about HiFimeDIY "ready made" setup like this one : http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/usb-dac2  ?

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5,060 of 15,268
  Since we're talking about dac/amp, with the fidelio X2, do we really have a great boost in audio quality when we're already have a decent dac ?

Or it's just a big diminishing return ?

The thing is, I have a new laptop and don't like the sound at all...
mad.gif

So, I have the possibility to buy a Dragonfly 1.2 (It seem to be my choice atm for 150€),or a Fiio E10K, but if you guys tell me that's it's really worth investing a little more (i'm also looking at the odac+o2, hrt microstreamer) I can do it.

Since the X2 is easy to drive, I'm thinking a lot about diminishing return.

It's worth nothing that i love listening to music and I somewhat listen to my X2 everyday almost all the day when I'm up, so i want a good setup. 

And what about HiFimeDIY "ready made" setup like this one : http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/usb-dac2  ?

My laptop could drive X2 but not very loud. Some tracks have low volume so it could be a problem, especially with well mastered music. Meridian Explorer 2 solved this problem, as it could drive X2s really well and loud.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #5,064 of 15,268
I just had one downside using X2 and e10k: Soundstage/air. The sound was very narrow and stereo separation wasn't that good. Also detail -- or the lack of it. Bass was a bit loose.

They have a good synergy, though. And E10k is very good for the buck.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,065 of 15,268
@obsidyen 

Thank you for your answer. I will look it up.

@liraop

That exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for !

I think still that a modiU/magni2u are a little over my budget, and i don't know if it's working good in linux, but hmm good advice, thank you.
You made me wanting this duo now. :wink:

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5,066 of 15,268
  @obsidyen 

Thank you for your answer. I will look it up.

@liraop

That exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for !

I think still that a modiU/magni2u are a little over my budget, and i don't know if it's working good in linux, but hmm good advice, thank you.
You made me wanting this duo now. :wink:

schiit stack works fine on linux. I just couldn't change the sampling rate (but that was my fault, I had bad experiences with pulseaudio).
When I changed to M2M2, the sound got a little bit more refined. More detail and air, bass tight and defined, everything sounded in its place. It's a little bit expensive but it's a gear that will serve you for years and years.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #5,067 of 15,268
Greetings, fellow X2 lovers. I am now among you, as I got an X2 today!
First off, this thing is so flipping comfortable! It's like a pillow on my head... The comfort, paired with its more relaxing sound(albeit with some brightness) really makes me...sleepy. When I listen to them, I end up laying down on my bed. Good thing they have a long cord^^. If X2 sound is so relaxing to me, I bet an HD650 would make me fall asleep instantly.

Now onto the subject of amplification. I listen to music from my PS3>Composite Output>Amp.
-Using the Fiio E6, the sound is a lot more diffuse. This is similar to the way the Q701 sounds with the E6. Less distance is perceivable and everything is kinda fuzzy sounding. Oh, and there's slightly more bass o.O. Weird. Now that's unlike the Q701.
-Using the Schiit Magni 2 Uber, the sound is quite sharp, and depth is achieved! Distant sounds are more, well, distant, and their reverberations are easier to perceive. Bass is slightly faster and less boomy, which also helps with soundstage depth. It's not a huuge difference, but I did notice it.
So the X2 doesn't need a great amp, but a quality amp sure can help. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hearing the effects of better amplification, or the sound signature of the amplifiers themselves.

And one last thing... The X2 is built very well, it feels so sturdy. But mine kinda creaks on the right side. I think it's due to the headband automatic adjustment mechanism. Do you guys have any issues like this?
blink.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5,068 of 15,268
  So the X2 doesn't need a great amp, but a quality amp sure can help. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hearing the effects of better amplification, or the sound signature of the amplifiers themselves.

Yep, a somewhat powerful amp is a good idea to get the best out of these cans. According to the measurements at innerfidelity it takes 0.23 mW / 0.089 Vrms to reach 90dB SPL.
The NAD HP50 for example which have the same impedance (32 Ohms) and sensitivity (100 dB) only need 0.04 mW / 0.037 Vrms in comparison.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #5,069 of 15,268
(....) Distant sounds are more, well, distant, and their reverberations are easier to perceive (...)

very well put! I almost forgot that. When I get the schiit stack, reverbs and delays on Matisyahu's  'Live at Stubb's I' sounded so much better, audible and "spacious"  -- lively. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back