Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,906 of 15,268
  Got the X2 this week from the Amazon deal. Been doing some research on head-fi ever since!

The headphones still feel lacking to me. I just got a Schiit Modi 2 Uber to go with 'em. Would you guys recommend a Magni 2 Uber or Vali to amp these?

In what way do they feel "Lacking"

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #4,907 of 15,268

siamdave,

Why don't you just go for a iem for when you lean back? No full-size headphone is created for bed-lying anyway.

I don't really like IEMs. I am currently using V-moda M80s but am fed up with their bloated bass and strong clamping force on my ears. These will be my first open cans and I would like to use them in as many ways as possible. I could try and find some more comfortable tips for my Shure IEMs though, I might like them more...

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #4,908 of 15,268
  Got the X2 this week from the Amazon deal. Been doing some research on head-fi ever since!

The headphones still feel lacking to me. I just got a Schiit Modi 2 Uber to go with 'em. Would you guys recommend a Magni 2 Uber or Vali to amp these?

Mids are somewhat recessed and I don't think an amp is going to change that. It's not a V shape sound signature but U shape. Still though, if you like mids, you will find the sound lacking. After hearing Earsonics Velvet mids, I could not enjoy X2 so sold them. You might try EQ'ing perhaps?

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,909 of 15,268
This is exactly what I said about the X2 in comparison to the M2; it's like somebody took an ice cream scoop out of the mids. Like it was engineered.

I think it's also something that becomes evident if you AB a really mid-centric headphone though, so, if you were to point it out without any prior experience of another headphone, shows really good audiophile ears!

If I was to sketch what this looked like perceptually to my ears, it would look a bit like this:

X        
           XXX                                                   X  X        
        XX    XXX                                             X     X       
      XX          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX          XXXXXX       X      
    XX                                      X        X                   X   
  XX                                         X      X                      X 
XX                                             XXX                           X

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,910 of 15,268
This is exactly what I said about the X2 in comparison to the M2; it's like somebody took an ice cream scoop out of the mids. Like it was engineered.

I think it's also something that becomes evident if you AB a really mid-centric headphone though, so, if you were to point it out without any prior experience of another headphone, shows really good audiophile ears!

If I was to sketch what this looked like perceptually to my ears, it would look a bit like this:

Just for the record I'd like to say that I strongly disagree about the X2's mids being "scooped out". To me they're well balanced and in line with the rest of the frequencies, YMMV (obviously).

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,911 of 15,268
I don't really like IEMs. I am currently using V-moda M80s but am fed up with their bloated bass and strong clamping force on my ears. These will be my first open cans and I would like to use them in as many ways as possible. I could try and find some more comfortable tips for my Shure IEMs though, I might like them more...

Yeah, I have the M80s as well as the X2s and used to listen to the M80s in bed, but switched over to the X2s as they are more comfortable and spacious.
:wink:

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #4,912 of 15,268
I concur with peter123, these are well balanced and a terrific value I should add. Truly considering, fit & finish plus value, these X2s are one of the higher ranking HPs out there IMO. I've been surprised and very happy since March and I own 5 other HPs including the HD700s.

FWIW: I Use Merdian Exp1, Schitt M&M Uber2 combo, and OPPO HA-2.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #4,913 of 15,268
I concur good sir. The X2's mids to me are a bit warm, but not scooped. They have a quite pleasant sound to them.

Quote:
Just for the record I'd like to say that I strongly disagree about the X2's mids being "scooped out". To me they're well balanced and in line with the rest of the frequencies, YMMV (obviously).

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #4,917 of 15,268
I agree that the mids on the x2 are not U shaped. The x2 vocals arent distant, they are pretty neutral. To me, why someone would find them lacking isnt bcz they are distant, its just that they lack some energy.

Here is what tyll from innerfidelity thinks:

The upper-mids and low treble of the X1 sounds slightly withdrawn due to the bass and mid-treble emphasis relative to the X2, and vocals do sound slightly more distant on the X1 than X2. The X2 in this area sounds remarkably neutral. The balance between 60Hz and 3.5kHz is simply terrific.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,918 of 15,268
I personally love the X2, but not for the usual reasons. I think it's the perfect headphone for people concerned about tinnitus.

First off, the frequency response is purposefully scooped in the "harsh" region at 5-7kHz for fatigue-free listening (ahem, HD800). I also find that as I lower the volume, the accentuation of the bass becomes more neutral in relation to the mids and highs. This encourages appropriate listening levels. Finally, the gel driver has none of the ringing artifacts (ahem, DT880) that don't show up as easily during sine sweep measurements but will kill your ears.

Because I care about my long term hearing more than squeezing out that last 2% of audio quality, these have become my main cans. Super comfy and affordable doesn't hurt either.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,919 of 15,268
  I personally love the X2, but not for the usual reasons. I think it's the perfect headphone for people concerned about tinnitus.

First off, the frequency response is purposefully scooped in the "harsh" region at 5-7kHz for fatigue-free listening (ahem, HD800). I also find that as I lower the volume, the accentuation of the bass becomes more neutral in relation to the mids and highs. This encourages appropriate listening levels. Finally, the gel driver has none of the ringing artifacts (ahem, DT880) that don't show up as easily during sine sweep measurements but will kill your ears.

Because I care about my long term hearing more than squeezing out that last 2% of audio quality, these have become my main cans. Super comfy and affordable doesn't hurt either.

Absolutely, I couldn't stand the HD800 for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back