Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #4,876 of 15,268
I just sold my unused k7xx yesterday to fund a purchase of the newly discounted X2. Very excited as the X1 was my favorite for gaming and movies--love the separation and staging, as well as sub bass on the X1. Can't wait to hear the X2. Hoping I don't have to deal with the earpads ink/flaking issue.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #4,877 of 15,268
Indeed. Different people, different ears, different sources, different perceptions.

Many of you find no fault in the treble, but myself, Tyll, Hachiko, WriterHead, and others seem to hear various degrees of edginess, tizzyness, grittiness, or graininess. Not by great significance, merely not picking here, but enough to keep them from sounding silky smooth. I have a feeling it has to do with the 10k Hz spike in Tyll's measurements. Perhaps that spike varies slightly enough from model to model, I really don't know.

Regardless, the X2 is one of the best headphones that I've heard so far, very musical and engaging, and has amazing subbass.

I'm just looking for a more euphonic, refined, and ultimately smoother signature.

My sonic journey from here will likely be HD650 -> HE-560 -> LCD 2 -> Oppo PM-1, or some variation of that, funds permitting, as those seem to really fit my preference. Time to save :)

Could that edginess or grain be also interpreted as sparkle? My PFEs have sparkle but the X2 treble is different sonically. I prefer a brighter sound sig; that might explain why I have no issues. Those sensitive to treble may pick up on that with the X2.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #4,878 of 15,268
Could that edginess or grain be also interpreted as sparkle? My PFEs have sparkle but the X2 treble is different sonically. I prefer a brighter sound sig; that might explain why I have no issues. Those sensitive to treble may pick up on that with the X2.

Maybe. It's been a couple months since I had them so it's hard to remember. Some music sounded perfect with them like Jon Hopkins, and others sounded uninspiring like Modest Mouse and Radiohead. I definitely liked them the most with electronic music.

I was considering the Oppo PM3 too, and many people were saying they were bright and many were saying they were laid back. So many factors are at play when it comes to individual senses.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4,879 of 15,268
Okay, just got my X2!

The sound is pretty good so far. My main comparison is to the HE-500, DT-880, Denon AH-D2000, ATH-M50, and SHP9500.

These sound like the DT-880 but with more bass. Probably a nice progression from the D2000 actually, since that headphone also had a lot of bass. The clarity so far is decent, better than these other two, but it doesn't touch the HE-500. I didn't exactly expect it to. Still, I'm very happy with them so far. A lot more comfortable than the HE-500 too, so that's a big plus. I often have headphones on for over 8 hours per day, and I can already tell this is going to give my neck muscles a break. My only complaint so far is that it simply can't hang with the HE-500 in terms of clarity in the midrange and high end. But they're in a different class of course. I'm still trying to figure out what amp to get for it. The EF-5 is definitely overkill on power, and my guess is that the tube isn't really contributing much. I'm really looking into the modi/magni stack, or maybe the O2 + Odac. Really unsure there.

So far I'd rate them solidly behind the HE-500, but a step above the rest of that list.

EDIT*** I take it back, these are actually much closer to the HE-500 than I thought after hearing more recordings. Holy **** they're good. At $250 you'd be insane to get anything else...

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,881 of 15,268
  I just sold my unused k7xx yesterday to fund a purchase of the newly discounted X2. Very excited as the X1 was my favorite for gaming and movies--love the separation and staging, as well as sub bass on the X1. Can't wait to hear the X2. Hoping I don't have to deal with the earpads ink/flaking issue.

Good choice- I like the X2 more than the K7XX. The build quality of the X2 makes it difficult to ever go back to predominantly plastic headphones (especially if they're priced the same as the X series).

The Fidelio line has really set a new standard for build quality. I think many of Philips' competitors will struggle to price their products competitively if they ever decide to use more metal or leather in their design.

Based on the current flagship market, the X1 & X2 feel like they should cost $700+

That's not even taking into consideration how great they sound as well..

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,882 of 15,268
I finally got around to posting a review of the amazing X2's, hope you guys enjoy it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-fidelio-x2/reviews/13286

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,884 of 15,268
Love seeing the M-Stage in there.  That amp doesn't get enough praise these days.

Yeah I really like it. Best amp I've got so far......

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4,886 of 15,268
  these or v moda m 100? 

They couldn't be further apart lol.

The X2 is better value imo as you can get a bass boosted v shaped sound for a lot cheaper than the M100.

If you're approaching this from a previous closed set of headphones - the X2 will take some to adjust too, you may not like them right away.
Saying that, the X2 is probably the best (safest) open backed headphones to switch too from a bassy closed back, just because they can do a little bass thump unlike some other open backed, if you EQ for it.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #4,887 of 15,268
I ordered a pair. Hopefully these are a decent step up from what I currently have(DonScorpio Dolphin, Somic MH463).

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #4,888 of 15,268
I ordered a pair. Hopefully these are a decent step up from what I currently have(DonScorpio Dolphin, Somic MH463).

Trust me, the X2's are in a different league compared to the Dolphins :wink:

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4,889 of 15,268

Thanks for the replies re: my question about using the X2s to listen to music in bed. I think I will be going with the HD598 in the hopes that Philips at some point delivers X2 quality in a more comfortable package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back